Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Tree Club

Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
theluckyone17

Default Tree Club

I propose we start a tree club. The only requirement is pulling a "Doh" and landing a model in a tree. I'll be glad to be the first member. And as the first member, I'd like to propose that we hold our meetings in a tree house (kinda proper, right?). Assuming the motion is passed, I know where we can get our lumber from.

In other words, I put my FBF in a tree... and I'm waiting for the wind to bring it down. I hate waiting.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by theluckyone17 View Post

In other words, I put my FBF in a tree... and I'm waiting for the wind to bring it down. I hate waiting.
Hey, I know that feeling of staring up thinking "how in the h--- am I going to get it down?"

Last week when it happened to me, I did more damage getting the plane down then it did parking itself in the V of that branch.
When I got home from all that, I quickly put that roll of twine back in my field box. Tie it to a stick (or football) and give it a heave over the greedy branch.

Good luck man.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Rodney Ramjet

Trees just seem to reach out and grab my planes. I have landed in trees 3 times. Luckily they were all very short trees and I recovered the plane with minimum damage.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

I have been in the trees too....

Here's an Ultimate Biplane over 120 feet up in a tree.....it spent a week there...had to get a professional Logger/Tree Climber to retrieve her for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plane in tree 005.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	63573   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane in tree 006.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	63574   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane in tree 007.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	63575  
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

If you plane is not that high up, or you can at least climb up a little bit, I have always had luck getting them down with sections of PVC piping and couplers. A few sections together and you have yourself a 30' pole!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 PM
clockworks

I'm glad that we don't have tall trees round here. I got stuck once, but got my plane back by taping a few bamboo garden stakes together and tying a loop of string to the end. The tree was a Leylandii (evergreen with very soft branches and leaves), so no damage.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Olias

Why yes, I'll join your little club if you please. My story involved a real heart breaker (for me at least) in that after 2 months of deciding what plane to get then ordering and waiting-waiting-waiting (we all know that story, right?) and then finally getting it and.....took it out, with my son, after all the proper checks, doing everything by the book blah-blah-blah, hand launched it, and it took to the air just beautifully. I let it go out about 100 yds. and decided to do a nice slow turn and bring er' back towards us, mind you all the while keeping her up about 2-3 mistakes (by the book, right!) and on it's swing back both my son and I absolutely swore it was either well behind or well in front of this one and only tree I had to go around but sure as heck she was lined up perfectly with it! Arrgh! I couldn't have purposely steered it that accurately at any other land mark if I tried and well naturally the tree said "goody-goody another treat" and swallowed it right up.

The "heartbreak" for me was the couple months of build up and then on my dog-gone maiden flight the whole experience lasted no more than 30 sec.'s. Literally.She was a good 45 ft. or so up and lodged (with no damage what so ever mind you) as perfectly as could be. You simply could not have literally hand placed it any more perfect, complete with the front landing gear hanging over just ever so perfectly between a V in the branches that just wasn't going to let it go anywhere no matter how much you shook the tree, lasso'd it with anything, or how hard the wind blew. We were so bummed that when we went home my wife hadn't even noticed that we came home empty handed and we never said a thing to her about until about a month later. To dang bummed and embarrassed.

Yes, eventually got it down a week later with the aide of a Parks & Rec. guy who happened to see our plight and offered to on his own time with his own tree climbing and grappling gear to come back and help us. He did, we got her, back, and I don't go near trees any more! That's my srory and I'm stickin' to it!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Man, I a stretch last year where it seemed I was landing in a tree every other day. Been lucky so far this year.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well I haven't done it in a while, knock on wood (pun intended) but a couple years ago I put my beautiful Ultrafly Ultimate Bipe in the trees. Not flew into, or grabbed by a branch, no this was a perfect landing in the very top of about a 60' White oak at the edge of our church softball field!

I was shooting touch and goes and was having a blast. The last pass was apparantly a bit further out than I thought and I set her down nice and pretty WAAAAAY up there.

Initially she had no damage on her at all but she had to spen the night up there as it was almost nightfall then anyway. A buddy of mine did try to climb it but it just got too dark.

We went back out the next day after work and he was able to get close enough to tug on the branches and get her to start the descent. Initially it wasn't going too bad but the a big branch went between the wings and she was skewered.

Eventually we got my poor little bipe down but she was beat up pretty bad. Managed to get her fixed back up only to destroy it a month or so later due to an inverted dumb thumb incident.

I did replace her and #2 llives on to this day!

this is the one that replaced the original

Click image for larger version

Name:	bringing in the bipe.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	63586
Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Ive gotten several planes caught in trees before, many of my experimental planes end up crashin into em.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 AM
theluckyone17

I gotta take blame for this, I suppose, but the odds were stacked against me. Really. I should've seen this coming.

My wife is a therapist, and asked me to drive her out to one of her patients, since they're out in the boondocks. It's about an hour and fifteen minutes away from our apartment. Not a problem, says I. And "Oh, by the way, are there any fields near them?" (Strike one: Never fly that far away from home, since the gas out there makes it expensive to retrieve it from a tree).

I thought that while she was doing her in home assessment, I'd hop on over to the field and get some flight time in.

The field itself was beautiful... only one tree, in the corner. (Strike two: Never fly somewhere where there is only one tree. Guaranteed, that one tree is going to be a problem).

I hand launched it a few times, and verified that my recent problem with the left wing dropping was indeed my fault... I'd get the plane too slow, and she'd stall, and drop the left wing. Why this particular facet of her personality came out recently, rather than the nice gentle stall she'd exhibit when she was new, I don't know. (Strike three: I learned something new.)

I flew it towards myself, lining up for landing, when the wind kicked up a bit. This slowed the a/c down, and moved it closer to the road. I didn't want to land in the road, regardless... but then I heard the sound of a car approaching. I'm still a good forty feet from the road, but I'd rather be safer. So I pour on the throttle, and start getting some altitude before making my right turn to come around again (strike four: My blinders get put on. Concentrating on the a/c's flight while worrying about the car, that has yet to make an appearance).

Start the bank to the right... oh, there's the tree. Crap. Think it's going to miss. Wait, last time I said that, I hit a light pole. Crap. Hard right rudder. Yank on the elevators. (Strike five. Never, ever, ever, turn and yank. Especially in an a/c that likes to stall hard).

My Firebird stalls, drops the left wing, and pirouettes right into the waiting arms of the tree. I doubt it fell more than a foot before the tail slide into a Y, and swung back and forth. This is a good forty to fifty feet up, by my reckoning.

I rocked her back and forth 'til the battery died, hoping to time the motion with any effect the marginal wind was having and rock her out. No such luck. It stuck.

The hardest part was telling my wife... I had talked her into replacing the wings and tail that morning, and I was so waiting for her to go "You did what?" and flip out. In actuality, she took it really well... just said "It's not that bad, it'll come down, and my patient will let us know when it does."

In fact, I think he (my wife's patient) got a huge kick out of it... and if it makes the old guy happy, I'm all for it. He came across as a guy who likes his projects or missions... and I can see him walking over to the tree every day, to peer up at the plane stuck in the branches, waiting for the day it comes down.

If it doesn't come down within the week, I'll probably pick up some PVC piping, rig it together, and see if I can't get it high enough up to poke it down. Preferably before it rains next. Wings and tail are cheap... I'd rather not replace the electronics unless I have to.

Last edited by theluckyone17; 04-23-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well don't feel bad partner! There are a lot of us around that have all been in that spot at one time or another!:o
Old 04-23-2008, 03:03 AM
theluckyone17

Oh, I'm not feeling all that bad. $100 prebuilt plane... well, irked maybe, but not horrible. If I had built it up, spent several hundred on her... well, then I'd be all kinds of irate.

I'm thinking this is one of those lessons that I'm supposed to learn, and learn quick. Don't put the blinders on... look at the plane, but look at where the plane is going, too.

This also got me thinking about picking up a Cub for the wife when she wants to start up... that way, she's not freaking out about getting the a/c too slow and stalling it.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yeah that would be a good choice.

When I put my bipe in the tree I had about $350 bucks up in that tree and that was a foamie still as well. It adds up quick!

Now I fly at a club field and we have lots of room... and lots of trees surrounding us to put them in. We had one club member go in just last weekend... It was not pretty.

On the bright side the bigger ones don't tend to get caught up in the trees real high, the bad side of that is they get really tore up coming down through them.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Olias View Post
...and on it's swing back both my son and I absolutely swore it was either well behind or well in front of this one and only tree I had to go around but sure as heck she was lined up perfectly with it! Arrgh! I couldn't have purposely steered it that accurately at any other land mark if I tried and well naturally the tree said "goody-goody another treat" and swallowed it right up.
Exact same thing happened to me when flying my Predator a month or so ago. I was bringing it in for landing, and even though I saw the tree that was lined up with my landing path, I just knew that my plane was already in front of it. Of course, bring the plane around and WHAP! Crunched into the tree and immediately broke the fuselage into three sections. I just stood there blinking, like I had just stopped looking at one of those 3D pictures that require your eyes to "snap" into focus.

I managed to shake it down, and other than the snaps in the fuselage and a nasty bend in one of the horizontal stabilizers, the plane was actually still in pretty good shape. I glued it back together and it still flies today. I actually had it out yesterday evening for a 10 minute flight. And other than that stabilizer being a bit weak, it flies great.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 PM
zook

Hello Lucky one, If your nick name is true to form you are like the dog with one eye,one leg missing,ear torned off,missing his man hood!!! Bad joke, I too have landed in a tree, Not once but twice!!! So let me also be a charter member. I am the Zook in northwest georgia mts.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 AM
theluckyone17

Originally Posted by zook View Post
Hello Lucky one, If your nick name is true to form you are like the dog with one eye,one leg missing,ear torned off,missing his man hood!!!
Yeah... I've got lots of luck. A lot is bad, a lot is good. It probably averages out, but I prefer not to press it too much . It also depends on your point of view, too. Still got the important parts attached to my body, though .

Especially since I got my gal down. Took some doin' but we got 'er done.

Below are pics of the plane before I got it down. It originally "landed" at nearly the top of the tree... probably a good five to ten feet above the location in the first picture. The wind blew it further down the tree, which was good luck... but it blew it in the wrong direction, which was bad. If the wind had been from the south, it would've knocked the plane towards the outer branches. Instead, the wind was from the north... and it moved the plane towards the inner trunk. As a result, it managed to get wedged into a V pretty well.

I spent all of $11 total on five pieces of 1/2" PVC piping, each ten feet long, then a roll of duct tape. The first attempt involved taping each pipe to the other, overlapping by a foot or so, then snaking the pipe up the tree. This failed miserably... the 1/2" pipe is flimsy, and flopped around everywhere. I couldn't even get close.

I tried climbing the tree next... that first branch growing to the left in the first picture sits a good 10-12 feet off the ground. With the assistance of the neighbor, I placed a ladder at this branch, and climbed up onto it. Then I rediscovered a tidbit about climbing trees... they always look simple from the ground, but getting up into the tree allows you to see what it's really going to be like. Several branches were dead, and there wasn't much in the way of security if my grip failed or one of the branches gave way. If either happened, I was going to be going all the way to the ground. Not good. So we cancelled that idea.

Next thought: Snake the pipes up from a sitting position on the first branch. I actually managed to reach the a/c this way, but all I did was knock it around a little bit. It was an exercise in patience, too... the pipe would flop around a lot, and it took forever to snake it up, balancing it against the trunk without getting it stuck or overcontrolling it and bouncing it away from the tree.

Finally, the neighbor and I bounced ideas off each other... and together, came up with a good idea. I took the pipes, dismantled them, and taped them together again... overlapping the sections, so one piece stuck out the top, three pieces overlapped in the middle, and two were at the bottom. This made for a contraption that was much more rigid. The neighbor doubled over a section of fencing wire, heavy gauge, and we taped it to the single pipe at the end.

I sat on that first branch, snaked the pipe up easy, and discovered it was a couple feet short. So I stood up, grabbing another branch for safety, and was able to snag a wing. Pulling it loosened it, until the wire bent... at which point I simply pushed and pulled at the a/c, 'til it came loose.

The physicaly damage appears to be fairly minor... the left wing was mangled at the root, the right had one slight dimple on the leading edge. The tail has two slightly compressed areas in the leading edges. Landing gear was slightly bent. The battery is charging right now, and appears to be intact. The electronics are all good, apparently... I charged the battery a bit, connected it to the plane, and the tail surfaces move on command, along with the engine.

These were nearly brand new wings, too... the original right wing had been creased pretty good, so I had bought new wings just a day or two before the tree incident. As a result, I was able to just swap in the old left wing, and use the new right wing.

So you could consider it bad luck that I ended up in the tree in the first place. I figure it's really good luck that the plane came out of the situation relatively unscathed, though .

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Glad to hear that you got your plane back. Hopefully you'll come away from all this with a healthy fear and paranoia of trees that will keep them ever-present in your mind. After the last Predator incident, I won't get anywhere near them any more--I give them a VERY wide berth if are any in or near the field in which I'm flying.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
crash-happy

how do you end up in a tree lol
Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
theluckyone17

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Glad to hear that you got your plane back. Hopefully you'll come away from all this with a healthy fear and paranoia of trees that will keep them ever-present in your mind.
Thanks! This has been a bit of a learning experience, for sure... and it's placing that fear & paranoia into a strategic location between my thumbs and brain . I don't want to repeat this little exercise again.

Originally Posted by crash-happy
how do you end up in a tree lol
It's actually quite easy... just aim for the tree at the right altitude, and the tree takes care of everything else . If you want the sordid details, check out my second post. If you want short... well, I became distracted, put my blinders on, and forgot about the tree.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
crash-happy

sweet...erm....i wont be trying this lol as i will probably just crash into the floor before i get chance to crash any were else