Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to learn to fly electric planes the expensive way...

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

How to learn to fly electric planes the expensive way...

Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Default How to learn to fly electric planes the expensive way...

Every time I see another beginner question starting off with What Plane to buy I think maybe I should Start a page describing the way not to start...lol

You should all get a good laught at this...

My Experiance is limited to about 1 year, I started out with the usual questions, Whats a cheap rtf (ready to fly) plane that won't cost more than about $100 - $150. Whats a watt, volt, amp, etc..

I started off with looking at cheap planes on hobbyzone.com. I liked the looks of the firebird freedom and read a couple (probibly misguided) reviews. it was 139 at the time... and I even saw some google videos showing people using wireless cameras on them, so I figured that it should be a good plane to start with...Wrong...

In the mean time I downloaded Realfight Demo, and used the keyboard on my computer to learn to fly the demo plane, I was able to do loops, rolls, fly inverted low beside myself, I thought... OK, so this shouldn't be that bad...lol

First experiance went alot better than I would expect from a beginner, I got the plane, charged the batterys, Went to the local field, had a buddy thow it for me... crashed it 20 feet after launch...(bad throws or trim off) Threw it again...flew it around for a bit... Kept saying... "man is this thing harder than [email protected]*5 to turn..." bairly missed a light pole from the football field... Took it out too far to see, Turned wrong... "Damb which way am I going"... Stright Dive from 100+ feet up... Wow.. I only broke the foam tail...

I lucked my way though 3 more flights.. some went a bit better but they were hard to manuver and each time ended with the battery dead and the plane crashing... other than flying out too far to see, the other crash landings were from tip stalls, or a battery that didn't quite last 5 minutes,
Next I looked at Firebird phantom, got them on hobbyzone for $59 free extra battery free shipping... Good deal Bought 3 of them...lol flew them great, ran batterys dead crashed them...etc.. replaced the fuse, did a little epoxy paperclip fix before flying the rest, 2 of them still fly today. 1 burned out its esc/rx, so its retired

Next I was looking at the parkzone striker, a fast delta wing, but luck must have intervened... I went to the local hobbyshop and they didn't have any in stock... So I asked about the cute white plane (hobbyzone supercub) it was $159 same price as a Striker B, thought Well, that should fly a bit easyier...

took it home, charged the battery's and it was really windy when I wen't to the local school, got it all put togeather, thought... "I'll Just have take off from this little stip of cement, (crosswind). Cub took off like a bat out of hell, Pulled vertical, stalled out, slammed back to the pavement, ouch... we check the plane out, cowls busted up a bit, prop is busted, no big damage, came with a spare prop, 2nd flight I had a buddy throw it into the wind, (He trys to thow it like a javaline,) straight up, Higher this time, stall, turn crossbreeze flips it around...SLAM... Broke the prop, Cowl,wing struts,and the Fuse in half... lesson learned about wind...lol

Then I went searching online...lol

I found an esky usb remote off ebay, and used that to learn on my computer, a couple hours of flying on the sim, I was ready to go...
I replaced the fuse of my supercub, and went flying... never crashed it since... here's a video of about the 10th-30th flights,

[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8636416033539032875&q=supercub+roc kin&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plinde x=0[/URL]

and This is what we did with them later...

[URL]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8507675629460977485&q=super+cub+brushless&total=29 &start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5[/media]

At this poin't your asking yourself "ok, thats not too bad, why did he say expensive... Well... Here's were I got cocky...lol

I flew my supercub stock for quite a while, at the sametime I practiced on realflight G3 quite a bit, 2 hours or so 5 days a week, and thought I should be able to handle a parkzone p51, Well, I was only partially right...lol

I bought a parkzone p51 from hobbyzone.com $179, the first flight went amazing, I flew it around, started getting cocky, flew it about 4 feet in front of my buddy inverted 6 feet off the gound full throttle, first time was good, then I got really cocky, same thing about 3 feet off the deck... thats where it all wen't wrong...hahaha... My buddy was in between me and my plane, I couldn't see it when I went to roll and didn't roll fast enought or something, wing hit the deck and smashed the plane into oblivion,

I wen't through 3 more bare airframes $79 each, trying to get this plane back flying like the first time, It never would, 1's airframe I got glitches left and right, crashed almost immediatly, 2nd airframe the servo's didn't work properly, and the third I got a new rx/ and 2.4gig spectrum dx6, and decided that the wire pull system on it was just plane crap, I will never buy another plane that uses wires the way this one did, it never flew right again.

After The P51 I Was a bit humbled...lol

then I changed out my batterys for the supercub to cheap 1000mah lipo's, which only got about 20 filghts or so each before they started puffing, apparently they didn't like 12amps,

next I bought a balsa cap232 from hobbycity.com was $119 brushless motor and esc included, It few wonderful after I got it setup right, until I did a High G turn and ripped the wing off the plane mid-air, Ouch again... If I had know to check and make sure the wood had enough glue on it (not my fault I didn't build it), it actully ripped the whole mount off,

next came my great planes slinger $100 with brushless setup, I immediately went to a cheap brushless setup, never flew it stock, it flew great, I'm still flying it today...90-100mph

Then Came a Daredevil biplane from parkflyers.com ($200 rtf), the plane flys ok, rolls, loops, can't hover, can't knife edge, out of the box is unbalance, battery doesn't fit properly, needs upgraded to outrunner or better gearbox, stock gearbox breaks every time I even slightly nose it in...sucks

Next was a eflite 260 3d ep foamy, it flys ok, took forever to build, and needs a lot of tlc (tender loving care) for landing... I should have got the other plane I was looking at...lol

Next Came my great planes extra 330s, used cheap parts only costed about $180
Flys great, Unfortuanatly it was not made to land even slightly bumpy, I've had to epoxy the crap out of the landing gear area, but I love this plane...lol

I then decided to upgrade my supercub to a brushless setup with ailerons, after doing this, I've decided that If I hadn't been so chicken to cutout the airlerons, and I had started with the Esky Usb Remote $20, I wouldn't have bought so many planes and made so many mistakes in the first place...LOL

Since then I've been looking for a good Lipo Battery Alarm that will Beep when I get low so that I won't deadstick anything anymore. Rcflyair on wattflyer has one that works good, and I'm hopeing that he will come out with a Louder version Soon...LOL
SK

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-29-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

ministeve2003::I think I should'a took the long-way home, Really good post'in my self-less bub there's a little for everyone there!, bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 584.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	49856  
Old 12-21-2007, 12:03 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Default parkzone p51

this is the only video I have of the p51 plane flying, I believe this was the 2nd and third flights, after getting a new wing, and my guess is that the battery cutout because of the stock mini-tamiya connectors suck... I use Deans for everything now...

[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2771209612300401246[/media]

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-29-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

You got a whole lot more out of your P-51 than I did. If I only knew then what I know now.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I have an esky simulator it only barely simulates R C flying .The controll box is the same LOL.When I learned proportional R C i had an experienced guy help me 1st day.2nd day I had made some trim adjustments and I thought nothing to this.So I decided to try it solo.I took off ok then banked over the pit area then corrected the wrong way and rolled inverted over the pits.OOPS About this time someone yells" somebody help that guy" so I yell "Yeah HELP" A guy runs over and takes my tx and saves my plane.And from that day on I was a lot more humble.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

BTW that was a 20 sized nitro trainer had I tried up elevator while inverted over the pits I coulda killed somebody.But I was so much a newbie I hadn't faulsly learned the up elevator to save it reflex.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

So, when do you get to the expensive part?
(That's a fair echo of my learning curve also, but it was 30 years ago.)
Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

oh u want expensive boo boos hows this.While carving a wire exit hole in a balsa battery box (with the battery in place) I poked a 2100 3 s lipo with the hobby knife.It burst into a smoking inferno, nearly gassing me as I ran outta the house with it .Threw it down and watched it burn.Bought a 90$ replacement for it had it on charge cords (both ends male) on my bench .And my daughter brushes against the leads shorts them and toasts that battery too.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:04 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

1 firbiird freedom, $139, 2 wings 3 tails, like $200 total
3 firebird phantom, 59x3=$177, 2 wings, 3 tails, 3 fuse. like another $177 total = $354
1, Supercub = 159, 2 fuses,2, wings 3 tails, a dozen props, I only broke 3 ever , buddy broke rest... = like $100 Total = $259+
p51 = 179, 3airframes =237 Total = $416
cap $160 after shipping
Daredevil Bip, $200,
eflite 260 used all eflite components like $180 for plane, should have used cheap crap, it didn't fly any better with $16 servos, $3.50 servos would have been fine...
extra 330s, $180
dx6 $200, Best inverstment Ever... Can't complain about this one..
weller portisol psi100k, butane soldering iron, $60... Sale, I love this thing...
cables, wires, pluges servos, etc... $200+
Supercub brushless kit $100

I'm sure there is a lot more, cause I think I spent like 3K this year on this hobby... well, I guess its a bit cheaper than my gun hobby... $1400 for one rifle... springfield soccom 2 with rail system... and that was a good sale,

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-29-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

OK mini your total beats my 2 $90 lipos by a mile.Hey if u wanna drive 5 min sometime u r welcome to come fly at my field .Its Chino Fairgrounds parking lot.Corner of Central and Edison. Me and 6 other elecric flyers fly there every Sat. and Sun. morning from 7 A M till whenever .We are all pretty experienced but u seem to have the hang of it now by your video
Old 12-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

If you come I'll be the guy driving a white van and I'm flying a Diamante 25 right now.Names Al
Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

is that the large gravel parking lot, I think my buddy calls that the chino rodeo... park right across the street? that thing chews up the bottom of my great planes slinger...lol, I gotta put something on it maybe carbon fiber I've flown there a couple of times, but I can't remember how early...
SK

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-29-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:27 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
1 firbiird freedom, $139, 2 wings 3 tails, like $200 total
3 firebird phantom, 59x3=$177, 2 wings, 3 tails, 3 fuse. like another $177 total = $354
1, Supercub = 159, 2 fuses,2, wings 3 tails, a dozen props, I only broke 3 ever , buddy broke rest... = like $100 Total = $259+
p51 = 179, 3airframes =237 Total = $416
cap $160 after shipping
Daredevil Bip, $200,
eflite 260 used all eflite components like $180 for plane, should have used cheap crap, it didn't fly any better with $16 servos, $3.50 servos would have been fine...
extra 330s, $180
dx6 $200, Best inverstment Ever... Can't complain about this one..
weller portisol psi100k, butane soldering iron, $60... Sale, I love this thing...
cables, wires, pluges servos, etc... $200+
Supercub brushless kit $100

I'm sure there is a lot more, cause I think I spent like 3K this year on this hobby... well, I guess its a bit cheaper than my gun hobby... $1400 for one rifle... springfield soccom 2 with rail system... and that was a good sale,

And I thought I had it bad....Sheesh!

Most expensive gun I ever bought was $800.00

The airplanes on the other hand.....Well I kinda discovered FFF so it keeps the cost down some

Last edited by offtom; 12-22-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Gimpster

Hey Ministeve,

Do you have a link to the info you used to modify the super cup for Brushless and Ailerons? I am considering this plane for a step back from my 3D trainer I am curently learning on but I really perfer brushless and full control surfaces.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Question A little help?

Originally Posted by offtom View Post
And I thought I had it bad....Sheesh!

Most expenxive gun I ever bought was $800.00

The airplanes on the other hand.....Well I kinda discovered FFF so it keeps the cost down some

I'd like to put the term "FFF" in the glossary... What is that, please?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:13 PM
offtom
Megans Servant

FFF - Fan fold foam, aka blue core, protection board. Good cheap supply of building material for disposable foamies.

Course then some folks can and do create some works of art with the stuff.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Default This is good...

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
oh u want expensive boo boos hows this.While carving a wire exit hole in a balsa battery box (with the battery in place) I poked a 2100 3 s lipo with the hobby knife.It burst into a smoking inferno, nearly gassing me as I ran outta the house with it .Threw it down and watched it burn.Bought a 90$ replacement for it had it on charge cords (both ends male) on my bench .And my daughter brushes against the leads shorts them and toasts that battery too.

I know this wasn't funny at the time, but you gave me a good laugh...

You mind if I repost this in my Beginners' Beware thread? This is a good read.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Default Hey, Steve...

Every time I see another beginner question starting off with What Plane to buy I think maybe I should Start a page describing the way not to start...lol

You should all get a good laught at this...

My Experiance is limited to about 1 year, I started out with the usual questions, Whats a cheap rtf (ready to fly) plane that won't cost more than about $100 - $150. Whats a watt, volt, amp, etc..

I started off with looking at cheap planes on hobbyzone.com. I liked the looks of the firebird freedom and read a couple (probibly misguided) reviews. it was 139 at the time... and I even saw some google videos showing people using wireless cameras on them, so I figured that it should be a good plane to start with...Wrong...

In the mean time I downloaded Realfight Demo, and used the keyboard on my computer to learn to fly the demo plane, I was able to do loops, rolls, fly inverted low beside myself, I thought... OK, so this shouldn't be that bad...lol

First experiance went alot better than I would expect from a beginner, I got the plane, charged the batterys, Went to the local field, had a buddy thow it for me... crashed it 20 feet after launch...(bad throws or trim off) Threw it again...flew it around for a bit... Kept saying... "man is this thing harder than [email protected]*5 to turn..." bairly missed a light pole from the football field... Took it out too far to see, Turned wrong... "Damb which way am I going"... Stright Dive from 100+ feet up... Wow.. I only broke the foam tail...

I lucked my way though 3 more flights.. some went a bit better but they were hard to manuver and each time ended with the battery dead and the plane crashing... other than flying out too far to see, the other crash landings were from tip stalls, or a battery that didn't quite last 5 minutes,
Next I looked at Firebird phantom, got them on hobbyzone for $59 free extra battery free shipping... Good deal Bought 3 of them...lol flew them great, ran batterys dead crashed them...etc.. replaced the fuse, did a little epoxy paperclip fix before flying the rest, 2 of them still fly today. 1 burned out its esc/rx, so its retired

Next I was looking at the parkzone striker, a fast delta wing, but luck must have intervened... I went to the local hobbyshop and they didn't have any in stock... So I asked about the cute white plane (hobbyzone supercub) it was $159 same price as a Striker B, thought Well, that should fly a bit easyier...

took it home, charged the battery's and it was really windy when I wen't to the local school, got it all put togeather, thought... "I'll Just have take off from this little stip of cement, (crosswind). Cub took off like a bat out of hell, Pulled vertical, stalled out, slammed back to the pavement, ouch... we check the plane out, cowls busted up a bit, prop is busted, no big damage, came with a spare prop, 2nd flight I had a buddy throw it into the wind, (He trys to thow it like a javaline,) straight up, Higher this time, stall, turn crossbreeze flips it around...SLAM... Broke the prop, Cowl,wing struts,and the Fuse in half... lesson learned about wind...lol

Then I went searching online...lol

I found an esky usb remote off ebay, and used that to learn on my computer, a couple hours of flying on the sim, I was ready to go...
I replaced the fuse of my supercub, and went flying... never crashed it since... here's a video of about the 10th-30th flights,

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

and This is what we did with them later...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5

At this poin't your asking yourself "ok, thats not too bad, why did he say expensive... Well... Here's were I got cocky...lol

I flew my supercub stock for quite a while, at the sametime I practiced on realflight G3 quite a bit, 2 hours or so 5 days a week, and thought I should be able to handle a parkzone p51, Well, I was only partially right...lol

I bought a parkzone p51 from hobbyzone.com $179, the first flight went amazing, I flew it around, started getting cocky, flew it about 4 feet in front of my buddy inverted 6 feet off the gound full throttle, first time was good, then I got really cocky, same thing about 3 feet off the deck... thats where it all wen't wrong...hahaha... My buddy was in between me and my plane, I couldn't see it when I went to roll and didn't roll fast enought or something, wing hit the deck and smashed the plane into oblivion,

I wen't through 3 more bare airframes $79 each, trying to get this plane back flying like the first time, It never would, 1's airframe I got glitches left and right, crashed almost immediatly, 2nd airframe the servo's didn't work properly, and the third I got a new rx/ and 2.4gig spectrum dx6, and decided that the wire pull system on it was just plane crap, I will never buy another plane that uses wires the way this one did, it never flew right again.

After The P51 I Was a bit humbled...lol

then I changed out my batterys for the supercub to cheap 1000mah lipo's, which only got about 20 filghts or so each before they started puffing, apparently they didn't like 12amps,

next I bought a balsa cap232 from hobbycity.com was $119 brushless motor and esc included, It few wonderful after I got it setup right, until I did a High G turn and ripped the wing off the plane mid-air, Ouch again... If I had know to check and make sure the wood had enough glue on it (not my fault I didn't build it), it actully ripped the whole mount off,

next came my great planes slinger $100 with brushless setup, I immediately went to a cheap brushless setup, never flew it stock, it flew great, I'm still flying it today...90-100mph

Then Came a Daredevil biplane from parkflyers.com ($200 rtf), the plane flys ok, rolls, loops, can't hover, can't knife edge, out of the box is unbalance, battery doesn't fit properly, needs upgraded to outrunner or better gearbox, stock gearbox breaks every time I even slightly nose it in...sucks

Next was a eflite 260 3d ep foamy, it flys ok, took forever to build, and needs a lot of tlc (tender loving care) for landing... I should have got the other plane I was looking at...lol

Next Came my great planes extra 330s, used cheap parts only costed about $180
Flys great, Unfortuanatly it was not made to land even slightly bumpy, I've had to epoxy the crap out of the landing gear area, but I love this plane...lol

I then decided to upgrade my supercub to a brushless setup with ailerons, after doing this, I've decided that If I hadn't been so chicken to cutout the airlerons, and I had started with the Esky Usb Remote $20, I wouldn't have bought so many planes and made so many mistakes in the first place...LOL

Since then I've been looking for a good Lipo Battery Alarm that will Beep when I get low so that I won't deadstick anything anymore. Rcflyair on wattflyer has one that works good, and I'm hopeing that he will come out with a Louder version Soon...LOL
SK

I'd like to repost this as a good read for the Beginners' Beware thread, too.

Ok with you?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by offtom View Post
FFF - Fan fold foam, aka blue core, protection board. Good cheap supply of building material for disposable foamies.

Course then some folks can and do create some works of art with the stuff.

Good to know. Thanks very much.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:18 PM
HeadMaster

its a bit cheaper than my gun hobby... $1400 for one rifle... springfield soccom 2 with rail system... and that was a good sale,
I know thats right....got into building AKs from kits a couple of years ago. Kits ,tools ,parts and ammo have cost me a small fortune. Thats what I still do in the winter now....fly the rest of the time.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Here is one of my earlyier posts on the supercub. it may help you... if you need any more info, PM me...
SK

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...667#post310667

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-29-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:58 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
I know thats right....got into building AKs from kits a couple of years ago. Kits ,tools ,parts and ammo have cost me a small fortune. Thats what I still do in the winter now....fly the rest of the time.
I found it cheaper to buy a complete new plane than to pay for ammo lately... what about you...lol

SK

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-29-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

S K I see you left the field this A M and got right on wattflyer nice flyin w/ ya man . Got the film in for developing .I'll post the good ones here later. Al
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Default Good Flyin

Good to fly with ya guys... You'll be seeing me out there again...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5221

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...?idProduct=658

Here's a link to the brushless motor and ESC that I had on my Great Planes slinger...

SK

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-29-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Shoulda got the Stryker

Quick Reply: How to learn to fly electric planes the expensive way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12654 seconds with 12 queries