Need some small wire? You probably already have it. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Night Flying Discuss night time aircraft illumination, methods and equipment.

Need some small wire? You probably already have it.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:32 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

info Need some small wire? You probably already have it.

I wanted some small wire to power a few leds on a plane, but couldn't find anything reasonable in my stash.

Then I noticed a box on my shelf with old phone cords, the type between the phone and the wall.

In a few minutes I had over 12 feet of nice small wire. I don't know the gauge, but it is plenty big enough for probably 5 amps. I had some 36 gauge which was rated for 2 amps, this is about twice the wire size but much tougher, the 36 ga was very easy to break, this wire is STRONG. The outside insulation will fit inside the 30 gauge hole in my wire strippers, that may give you an idea of the size.

Some cords have 2 conductors and some have 4. It is flexible stranded wire, 0.036" outside insulation diameter.

I will not worry about having small wire again.

Last edited by Wildflyer; 01-16-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:52 AM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

22 guage phone wire used in twisted pair
good stuff for all kinds of uses
Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I am not using cat 5 or similar wire normally used inside walls because I don't want solid conductor wire.

Upon further inspection of the wire I have removed, reveals two totally different types.

One type is a normal 7 conductor flexible tinned copper wire, within each wire.

The other is 4 conductors each made by wrapping a tiny, thin, narrow band of copper foil wrapped around white fibers, probably glass, they are very strong.

I would be certain that the latter type will not carry the current the first, more normal type of wire could. But it is probably more resistant to breakage from bending.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I've been using multi core phone cable for SERVO extensions ... all sorts of electronic stuff for years.

My yacht has GPS feeds running round the cabin ... telephone cable and sockets !

My F16 EDF (70mm) has telephone cable for the 5 main control servos, 2x aileron, 2x elevator, rudder ... a separate wire for each signal ... and the + / - leads are common ... this cuts down on wires and makes an easy single cable installation.

Nigel
Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 AM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

I reciently found out about some conductive paint. I am thinking about picking up a can and playing with it. See how I can possibly apply it to power nav lights on my micros.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
I reciently found out about some conductive paint. I am thinking about picking up a can and playing with it. See how I can possibly apply it to power nav lights on my micros..............
You can buy Coonductive Epoxy as well .... developed to repair such things as heated rear windows in cars etc. (In the days when they were surface mounted !! Yes I'm that old ....).

But the failure rate of these is very high ... as well as the current capability is miniscule.

Nigel
Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM
jcstalls

Hi,
I used wire from extra mouse cords for low amp use.
I have even used coated magnetic wire in applications where will not be bent repetitively.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Hi,
I used wire from extra mouse cords for low amp use.
I have even used coated magnetic wire in applications where will not be bent repetitively.
I know it's not RC .... but mouse USB and Serial cables are excellent source for making up leads ... NOT to strip them ... but use them complete. Cut of the mouse ... check continuity of wires ... connect end to required item ... instant USB or serial lead without all that hassle of sorting soldered USB pins !

I do this for GPS and other gear often.

Nigel