Source for Folding Prop and Spinner - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Source for Folding Prop and Spinner

Old 09-18-2015, 12:20 AM
Flysfloats

Default Source for Folding Prop and Spinner

I am wanting to add a 2486 1100 kv motor to my old Sig Ninja glider. This motor has a 3.17 mm shaft and I am having trouble finding a set of prop blades, a spinner, AND a "collet" that fits this shaft size.

It seems that there are a good selection of blades, but I want to make sure I get blades that fit the adapter AND fit my shaft size. A 3 mm shaft collet will not fit on my motor. I have a spinner and hub/collet(not sure what to call this) that fits my motor shaft but can find blades to fit.

Local hobby store of no help. Looking at Hobby King, A-Loft Hobbies, and Tower shows lots of gear but no specifics. Where do you guys suggest I look or call? Thanks for the help. FF
Old 09-18-2015, 04:05 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

If you have the motor's original prop adapter... APCprop.com makes folding props that bolt on like a normal prop. Just get a standard spinner and cut the prop openings to fit.
Note that the prop blades are marked based on the assumption of one of their assorted hub sizes. The blades will fit all the hubs but then the dia and pitch are not as labeled. A larger hub gives more diameter AND more pitch.

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/folding_...rs_372_ctg.htm Has a selection of folding props including 3 blade and 4 blade.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:11 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

http://www.icare-icarus.com/Spinners...rops_c_16.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...h=spinner+3.17
Old 09-19-2015, 12:36 AM
carpetbagger

HURC = HeadsUpRC ships fast & cheap $2.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Folding-...nner-G-175.htm

several spinner sizes and prop blades available
Old 09-19-2015, 03:00 AM
Flysfloats

I called Hobby Express and was told that they have no folding props or accessories in stock and do not know when they will receive more product. Seems like a good website.

I looked, again, at the Hobby King web site and they seem to have some spinners and adapters that would work BUT none available in the USA warehouses, only the International, grrrrrr. Additionally there was no info about which blades would fit the adapters so I tried a Live Chat to get this info. After more than 10 minutes of useless chatting but mostly waiting, I gave up. Very sad customer assistance.

Finally I called Icarus and ended up placing an order. Since this is located in Ontario, Canada, I dread the effort required to ship across the border AND the week+ it will take to arrive, grrrrrr.

My final effort was with a friend of mine. He gave me an old spinner, adapter, and prop blades which will work. He also suggested putting some heat shrink tubing over my existing motor shaft to increase the diameter of the shaft and it now seems to fit ok. Lots of ways to skin the cat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am pretty sure that Headsup Hobby has what I was after and will put them on my preferred list!!!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Heat shrink on the motor shaft??
Old 09-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Flysfloats

Yesterday I finally got my Ninja ready for a run up to test the heat shrink tubing to increase the diameter of the motor shaft. As Panther implied, this did not go as I had hoped. With only partial throttle the prop started to work its self off the shaft. I retightened everything and tried again, same result. I conclude that my attempt with heat shrink tubing has failed. I now wait for the correct sized folding prop and adapter to arrive, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Sorry I can't give you any suggestions, I am not familiar with that motor. From what I read, it is not a large motor and I found the Hobby King 8x6 works very well on a few motors. It looks like a cheap folding prop (and it is) BUT they work real well and are very tough. They come in a twin pack and I think there is an 8x4 as well. (all from memory)
I haven't had any balance problems at all and the hub is very good.

It says 3mm shaft but I am sure it would be very simple to adapt it to 3.17.
http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/st...8x6_2pcs_.html

Last edited by Panther; 09-24-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: link added
Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Flysfloats

Panther, thank you for the suggestion, BUT, I believe it is only available thru the International Warehouse and I do my best to only order thru the USA West Warehouse if at all possible.

Additionally, I have a spinner and adapter that is for a 3 mm shaft and I have not been able to get onto the 3.17 shaft. I even tried to spread the slots a bit to enlarge the hole. One thought was to drill it out but even that is iffy. I ordered a spinner/adapter/props from Ontario, Canada and they should be here in the next couple of days.

However, today I tried my maiden e-powered flight and even though I had set the CG exactly as I read on the internet, the Ninja instantly went vertical and would not respond to full nose down stick, stalled and lawn darted into the grass. Damage is not major but by the time I get things repaired, my other prop/adapter should be here, not that it would have changed anything. I WILL move the CG further forward AND toss the plane, without power, and see how it glides into the grass. Always another challenge, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! The good news is that I received a replacement e=ducted fan unit for my jet, problems documented on the Jet Forum. Later, and thanks. FF
Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about the Ninja Ouch.
We have the same problem with warehouse stocks too.
I had to get my props from Inter Warehouse as well. Luckily Aus Warehouse stocks are slowly increasing but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet.
For interest sakes, when I return to my maancave shortly I will just double check the fit of that prop. I have a spare one in my kitty.
Cheers
Old 09-25-2015, 01:42 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Pleased to inform you that Hobby King have got it wrong again.
The 8x6 fits perfectly on a Turnigy 2822 1450kV motor with a 3.17 mm shaft. I seem to recall a comment that the Hobby King measurement was wrong.
There are several different sizes at Inter Warehouse so I suspect they are all 3.17 and I believe that they could probably tighten onto a 3mm shaft OK.
I can try it if you wish as I have heaps of motors here.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Flysfloats

Panther: Thanks for the investigation effort. I think I am ok for now. I have the one loaner prop/adapter that survived the crash and I should have a new one from Canada any day now. Since I am good for now, I will probably buy a couple more and am looking at HeadsUp Hobby as a source. I continue to be disappointed in customer service from Hobby King when it comes to technical or specific questions are concerned. I order from them but usually just for items that are pretty clear cut, ie, batteries, motors, escs, AND always from USA West Warehouse. I can say that when I try their Live Chat I am near 100% unsatisfied with the results, just frustrating and a waste of time.