Spinner nut falls off - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Spinner nut falls off

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
waterfire

Default Spinner nut falls off

I'm new to airplanes and I need some help. I have a used O.S. Surpass 4 stroke .48 engine.
I have no problem starting and running it, it's just that the prop spinner keeps getting loose.
One question: the engine turns ccw standing in front, the prop nut is a right hand thread, the starter
rotates ccw....so... if I keep using the starter ccw and the spinner is a right thread won't it keep
making the prop spinner loose all the time....Do they make a cw spinner? thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Double nuts help a great deal on 4 stroke engines. You might be a bit to wet causing the detonation too early too.

We are dedicated to "e" flight here but thought I would help out with that.

Mike
Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Really should be posted in a Glow Engine forum ........... but anyway ..

4 strokes are notorious for shaking nuts loose and of course here you have a starter cone that is also trying to undo the nut against higher compression 4Stroker.

Solution ? If the double nut is not suitable - then you fit a proper spinner that covers the prop nut. Then starter will then be applied to a spinner instead of to the prop nut. It is not a good idea to use a combination prop-nut - spinner on such an engine.

Now here's a strange thing ... how big is the hole in the rubber starter cone you use ? The cone is reversable ... big hole for spinners, little hole for prop nuts. BUT I never used the small hole - preferred to bear the starter cone onto the prop ...
Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Rodneh

The screw pitch as it should be, if it were reversed you would have many more problems as each firing of the piston would tend to loosen the nut. What is kicking your prop off is that it is backfiring, probably to rich a mixture setting.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

RED Locktite that Nut On, Problem Solved Heat Nut with Cig Lighter to get Back off

Please push that Thank Button so i wont have 1,666 Thanks but rather 1,667 , Thank You, Chellie
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
RED Locktite that Nut On, Problem Solved Heat Nut with Cig Lighter to get Back off
NO! Never do this! Red is for permanent connections and certainly not appropriate for a propeller!

Double nut and your too much prime (too wet). I have never had double nuts fail to hold on my 4 strokes ever.

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Rodneh

Stay away from any type of locktite on that prop shaft.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Sorry Chellie ... not often I disagree with you ... but here is one time - NEVER use loctite on any prop nut ! Double nuts, locknut .... there are many ways to cure it but not Loctite please.

Nigel
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Sorry Chellie ... not often I disagree with you ... but here is one time - NEVER use loctite on any prop nut ! Double nuts, locknut .... there are many ways to cure it but not Loctite please.

Nigel
The Red Locktite is for Extrem cases, when nothing else will work, it will come off, but you have to heat it
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I use red locktight on my electric motor nuts and motor mount mounting screws, and have never had a problem getting them off.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Just remember the red bottle is not red loctite! Red is semi-permanent but can be removed generally only with heat. What color was the actual liquid? Blue is best for that use IMHO

The point is you should not use thread locking compound for propeller nuts and shafts.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Would the old nail polish trick work for an IC motor?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:36 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I have used nail polish and super glue as lock tight. Certain super glue's will not adhear to metal and none will if there is any grease.

I just had a bottle laying around from when I did the driveshaft on my old car. I tend to way over tighten fasteners.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I use red locktight on my electric motor nuts and motor mount mounting screws, and have never had a problem getting them off.
I normally use the Blue locktite on prop nuts and mounting screws, but, sometimes you need to use the red Locktite on problem nuts I have only had to use the red Locktite once with a problem prop nut, It never gave me any more problems, I used heat to get it off, i have striped threads trying to remove an Aluminum nut that has been locktite on, so to be on the safe side i heat the nut and then remove it to prevent damage to the threads, I like the Nail polish trick, I have lots of nail polish, and it may be cheaper than Locktite Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Nothin' going on around here that couldn't be fixed with an arc welder!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by waterfire View Post
I'm new to airplanes and I need some help. I have a used O.S. Surpass 4 stroke .48 engine.
I have no problem starting and running it, it's just that the prop spinner keeps getting loose.
One question: the engine turns ccw standing in front, the prop nut is a right hand thread, the starter
rotates ccw....so... if I keep using the starter ccw and the spinner is a right thread won't it keep
making the prop spinner loose all the time....Do they make a cw spinner? thanks
One of my club members uses an aluminum spinner on his 50 cc gasser. That aluminum spinner is keyed into the spinners aluminum back plate. It won't come loose.