Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Toreador

Old 07-29-2017, 05:46 AM
abborgogna

Default Toreador

The Toreador started out as a updated version of an old control line design from England. My friend Eric Rule asked me to do a test build of this new control line kit. I said yes, but I wanted to build it as an R/C plane. I comes in two version a glow engine and electric, I chose electric. I modified he plane to accept servos or the elevator, steerable tail wheel, and the addition of left and right ailerons. It's covered in ceconite and finished in nitrate dope. I originally planed to paint the Toreador if it flew, well I have somewhere around 60 flights and it is still waiting for paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Toreator 40.jpg (234.5 KB, 146 views)
Old 07-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Stay Quiet

Wow, I always thought the Sig Wonder was twitchy! That must be a handful. Usually, CL planes don't make the transition to RC well without stretching the fuselage a bit.
Nice build, by the way!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:17 PM
abborgogna

Mr. Quiet:
The trick to taming a flying wing is where you locate the CG and the amount of reflex you need to level out the CG location. My experience with the Bill Evans Simitars taught me to start around 15% of the MAC and around 3 or 4 degrees of reflex. This plane actually flies a lot like an Ugly stik, it is very stable, in fact it could use a little more aileron area to increase the roll rate. Normally I would use elevons on my flying wing but since this wing came with an elevator I decided to use ailerons along with the elevator rather than redesign the trailing edge of the wing. If I were to build a second one I would either move the landing gear forward a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch or convert to tricycle gear. I took it out today and put another 4 flights on it, love it!

As for control line planes not converting to R/C very well, I have had very good luck using C/L wings with thick airfoils and blunt leading edges. They are quite aerobatic and very stable, I have designed three now and all were very good fliers.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
Mr. Quiet:
The trick to taming a flying wing is where you locate the CG and the amount of reflex you need to level out the CG location. My experience with the Bill Evans Simitars taught me to start around 15% of the MAC and around 3 or 4 degrees of reflex. This plane actually flies a lot like an Ugly stik, it is very stable, in fact it could use a little more aileron area to increase the roll rate. Normally I would use elevons on my flying wing but since this wing came with an elevator I decided to use ailerons along with the elevator rather than redesign the trailing edge of the wing. If I were to build a second one I would either move the landing gear forward a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch or convert to tricycle gear. I took it out today and put another 4 flights on it, love it!

As for control line planes not converting to R/C very well, I have had very good luck using C/L wings with thick airfoils and blunt leading edges. They are quite aerobatic and very stable, I have designed three now and all were very good fliers.
Model Aviation had plans for building a CL plane called the "Hobo" that looked like it could be a good candidate for RC conversion.
Years ago, I had a Sig Wonder with a hot .15 in it. All I remember is that it wasn't easy (at least for me) to hold a stable altitude with it. I had to set the throws to next to nothing to even fly it.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:19 AM
abborgogna

Again it's where you locate the CG 15% of Mean Aerodynamic Cord is a good place to start. That will make the wing nose heavy and give it stability, this is where the reflex comes in. The problem with reflex is the down force in the rear of the wing varies with speed. So I learned to set if for flat our an that's where I fly. When you pull the throttle back for landing you apply more up than you would normally do on a conventional airplane, but it works.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 AM
Brner
AMA16634

Looking good...now the paint....

Don