Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #2851
Psychron
youtube.com/psychron

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Yeah that is what I said, elctric or gas. Will get rid of that glow motor that is on it. Can't afford to feed it. Lol
I hear that. I got a garage full of glow planes from a guy for about 200 bucks, all too large, so I parted them out on ebay and made 800 which started my collection of foamies and scratch build components.

what is it now? $25 a gallon for nitro fuel?

And the gas engines aren't cheap right? I mean last I saw, a .40 sized gas equivalent which requires like 2 drops of oil per tank or something like that was around 2K if I'm not mistaken, but I also hear they run so efficiently that you get incredible runtimes off a pint of fuel. Upwards of almost an hour.

-Dan
My Videos
Old 09-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #2852
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Full scale Combat Gremlin!
Friend cut the cores and supplied a nice kit with all the wood to complete main wing.

A bit of a hog coming in at 4 pounds 3 ounces (needs to run my existing 6s 4000mAh packs) but the Leopard 4250 620kv gives me 1100watts on a 12x6. Cheap ZTW Mantis 85A/6V powering some rebuilt HS5245's and an old OraneRX 3ch (even bound at 11ms framerate!). Probably drop to an 11x5.5 (800w) or even a 10x5 for a clean 600w depending on how she compares to the lighter nitro competitors. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day...

Now to finish that CrashTestHobby Assassin!

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #2853
Panther

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

Looks really good BD
Old 09-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #2854
Psychron
youtube.com/psychron

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Full scale Combat Gremlin!
Friend cut the cores and supplied a nice kit with all the wood to complete main wing.

A bit of a hog coming in at 4 pounds 3 ounces (needs to run my existing 6s 4000mAh packs) but the Leopard 4250 620kv gives me 1100watts on a 12x6. Cheap ZTW Mantis 85A/6V powering some rebuilt HS5245's and an old OraneRX 3ch (even bound at 11ms framerate!). Probably drop to an 11x5.5 (800w) or even a 10x5 for a clean 600w depending on how she compares to the lighter nitro competitors. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day...

Now to finish that CrashTestHobby Assassin!
That thing looks amazing! I like the color scheme too. Where heck is the CG on that thing? lol And the Afterburners?!

-Dan
My Videos
Old 09-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #2855
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Thanks guys. Afterburners are going to be slowly deployed. Elevons are glassed but im concerned this could be too much power for this airframe. CG is 1 5/8 to 1 3/4"behind leading edge. You can make out a a small mark on the wing next to the fuse. Balance is checked by sliding a string under the fuse to this point and hanging. Thankfully a few other pilots have theirs airborne already for me to get a good look at how much declage or up elevator these things require to fly.

Rob
Old 09-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #2856
Panther

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

If you can manage a vid eventually that would be great. It looks like a great combat plane.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #2857
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Plane is very competitive with the .32's .46's and has a bit of an edge on the .52s for around 7 minutes with an 11x5.5 (6s4000mAh). Has a clear power/speed advantage out of the gate but as the voltage drops and the gasser lighten up, they begin to have a bit of an edge. I think the quiet motor offers some advantage as well. Way too much fun. Hand launch is very stable at around 45 degrees. Very happy with the Leopard 4250 620kv on 6s as I was looking for something close to the gassers in performance. Will see about a video but currently every person out there has one of these planes in the air!

May throw the Suppo 3520 840kv with a 10x5 in and see what happens tomorrow...

Rob
Old 10-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #2858
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

just got this one to start building. Former CEO of Horizon Hobby now retired and making laser cut kits. I got one of the first runs!

138" wingspan Foxbat Glider. Will power with an eflte power 15. Will get started right after next weeks fly in I am going to in Georgia.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1002171830.jpg (3.34 MB, 105 views)

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 10-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #2859
Griff Murphey

Club: Fly by myself at Rockwood Park
Friends: (0)
Default Another eflite Micro Stearmsn!

I build stick snd tissue but my favorite everyday flyer is my battered micro Stearman. I had decided to junk it and bought another one. Then I repaired my old 191 flight vet. So now I have two of them - the battered old one I can fly in dicey wind etc!
Still working on the Hellcat Almost ready to put in the engined and radio. Finishing up with sanding sealer on sheeted up and laminated areas.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5818.JPG (1.97 MB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5819.JPG (1.88 MB, 95 views)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #2860
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

The Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association, TCMAA from the Olympia WA area, has a very active pylon race program with the Gremlins. We have 1 race per month from spring to fall. Sometimes up to 10+ pilots show up. Limit of 6 planes per race, sounds like a swarm of large bees.

To keep things on an even keel the engines are limited to ,
40 size Evolution, OS FP 40, OS 40 LA, Magnum 40 and the Thunder Tiger GP 42.
Plain bearing motors.
10% or 15% nitro fuel

All run APC 10x5 props

Some of the guys run an outlaw class with allout pylon race motors, I haven't been there to see those things yet.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #2861
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

My latest WOT4 from UK had motor mount fail in flight .... luckily being built for UK conditions - it survived quite well and after one evenings repair work is back ready to fly again.

But now she uses metal standoffs to mount the 4250 motor instead of the chinese ply box !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #2862
Griff Murphey

Club: Fly by myself at Rockwood Park

Bluudy 'Ell!
Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #2863
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
Bluudy 'Ell!
Basically the model is designed for a 35 - 45 Glow and I fitted a 4250 650kv with 5S .... which is equivalent to a reasonable 55 - 60 glow. With the 13x8 prop - she had 3.5kg thrust against a 2.2kg auw. The thin chinese ply motor box gave way and that was it.
So now with metal standoffs bolted to the substantial firewall designed for glow engine - she should not do it again.

The wing basically parted along the centre joint. U/C plate pulled out clean from fuselage, cowl was cracked and battery plate shifted. There was a crack in fuselage side. All mended easily ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-10-2017, 12:23 AM   #2864
WyomingOutdoors

Default Maiden Scratch Built $2 DollarTree foam Plane

My friend likes building and designing planes from the cheapest materials available. He had me maiden / trim it. Turned out to fly really nice!

Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #2865
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Default 1949 Radio Queen

This is the latest plane I have flown. A friend wanted out of the larger planes part of the hobby, he kept his smaller ones. This is one of the planes he gave me.

A 1949 design called the Radio Queen, it was designed for rudder only, and minimal power. probably flew with something like an Ohlsson Rice ignition engine or similar motor of the day. They weren't very powerful and only some of them could stand nitro glow fuel.

I put a motor that should be about like a 40 nitro that I was told they used in this plane. Well it lifted off in about 3 feet at half throttle. I have rudder, elevator and motor. This thing is extremely gentle at low power, I have too much power so I better be careful.

84" wingspan, 5.2lbs flying weight It actually hit a thermal and started climbing with no power from motor. It glides better than some of my gliders.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Radio Queen.jpg (60.6 KB, 65 views)

Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #2866
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Looks like a sweetie!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #2867
Psychron
youtube.com/psychron

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
The Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association, TCMAA from the Olympia WA area, has a very active pylon race program with the Gremlins. We have 1 race per month from spring to fall. Sometimes up to 10+ pilots show up. Limit of 6 planes per race, sounds like a swarm of large bees.

To keep things on an even keel the engines are limited to ,
40 size Evolution, OS FP 40, OS 40 LA, Magnum 40 and the Thunder Tiger GP 42.
Plain bearing motors.
10% or 15% nitro fuel

All run APC 10x5 props

Some of the guys run an outlaw class with allout pylon race motors, I haven't been there to see those things yet.
If I ever go back to fuel , I'm going gas.. that 40 size evolution looks super sweet.. said the flight time was about a half hour on whatever size tank they're using and I think the crankcase is pumped on it. still super efficient. One day. Maybe I'll buy a new pt40 trainer and slap that thing on the front.

-Dan
My Videos
Old 10-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #2868
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I can't find an Evolution 40 gas, they have a 10cc .60 size and a 20cc which would be a 1.20. These are both 2 cycle gas. I think someone else has a smaller gas motor but I can;t remember who.

Gas engines do run for a long time on a tank and the fuel is cheap. That part is great, I just have too many left over glow engines to consider buying a gas engine although I have a couple of planes I would love to have a gas engine in.

If I ever do buy one it would be a 35-40 cc size for my 8' Senior Telemaster. It has an E-flite power 60 on it now but it doesn't have the power to drop RC jumpers. The big ESC required and the batteries would cost more than a used gas motor. I have a electric 160 motor.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #2869
Psychron
youtube.com/psychron

Default I had my information wrong

I'm sorry.. I meant this engine:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/10gx-10...etor-evoe10gx2

it's apparently a replacement for a 40-60 size glow.

But I hear you. I'm so deeply ingrained with the electric stuff that it's hard to motivate myself to build something that I actually "can't" hang from the ceiling tile grid.

-Dan
My Videos
Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #2870
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I think that is a great motor.
I just have 10-15, nitro motors of that size so I can't make any sense out of buying a $200 motor to save money on fuel. Been a modeler since 1960, my dad and I accumulated a lot of stuff.

Someday I will get a big gasser for the Telemaster.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #2871
Psychron
youtube.com/psychron

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I think that is a great motor.
I just have 10-15, nitro motors of that size so I can't make any sense out of buying a $200 motor to save money on fuel. Been a modeler since 1960, my dad and I accumulated a lot of stuff.

Someday I will get a big gasser for the Telemaster.
I started modeling around 7 years old in 1980.. of course they were testors models that didn't do much but sit on a desk and look pretty. first balsa control line was at 15 maybe....spent all winter building it and then crashed it first time out. 16 years old got a PT40 and screwed up the engine on it, so we got a new plane that came with a .40 from tower hobbies and was ARF so that was great, and I didn't screw that engine up and lost the damn thing in a tree after a crash and repair due to flying in a space far too small for that bird.

So I hear you between planes, plastic models and RC cars my collection grew and then in the last couple years I came into some extra money and of course I went stupid crazy buying parts to build a bunch of folded foam board planes. Love them btw.. they're great and inexpensive. Really enjoy them.

But the Telemaster.. man.... maybe after the divorce for me... if there is one.. I'm not shooting for one mind you.. I'm just saying... if she goes, her old garage parking spot is going to be a hangar.

-Dan
My Videos
Old 10-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #2872
WyomingOutdoors

Default Blanik L13

Wiped the dust off this old pnp I purchased a few years ago and put away. I've really caught the fpv bug and decided to Unbox and put it together. I'm going to replace motor/spinner/esc (lots of reports of them burning out). I'm just hoping it'll handle Wyoming winter winds.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5486.JPG (2.28 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5489.JPG (18.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #2873
Psychron
youtube.com/psychron

looks gorgeous.. I don't know if I'd want to put it up in anything higher than maybe 12 mph winds. What's the wingspan of that thing? Also if the motor is known for burning out I might recommend a larger one, which would throw your cog off, so you'd have to compensate on the back end and maybe replace the esc. but after that you'd have something rock steady and ready to go.

-Dan
My Videos
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 AM   #2874
WyomingOutdoors

Originally Posted by Psychron View Post
looks gorgeous.. I don't know if I'd want to put it up in anything higher than maybe 12 mph winds. What's the wingspan of that thing? Also if the motor is known for burning out I might recommend a larger one, which would throw your cog off, so you'd have to compensate on the back end and maybe replace the esc. but after that you'd have something rock steady and ready to go.
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to get it up. The Wingspan is 2300mm . . . I switched the stock 800kv motor out today for a 1000kv motor & upgraded the esc to 60A, switching spinner/prop to a 12x6 as well.

Our high altitude here in Wyoming is a power killer.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions