General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

First version xc1 Vortex Done. New 2nd and 3rd?

Old 07-07-2022, 05:47 PM
RKTLaunch

Default First version xc1 Vortex Done. New 2nd and 3rd?

This was the 1st version xv1 Vortex. It was only a learning model. I hadn't built anything in 30 years and never RC before. So I had to start somewhere and figure it out.
Here's a video of the EDFs first run up and minor testing.

...took the video down for editing.

I made a lot of changes on the second version. Bigger, propotionally more wing area and about the same weight. I made a couple foam gliders to test the original configuration and the new version. The first version didn't cut it and the rudder wasn't effective. The 2nd version was stable and balanced in glide testing below, and I've made a proper rudder, but haven't installed it yet. The EDFs are installed and I'm working on the servos and landing gear. Note, once the bottom of the fuselage is sanded round the front control surfaces will not be restricted. I have decided to make all four wing control surfaces have both pitch and roll mixing.....and all four will also have two modes of flap.

Hmm, my best efforts are still getting me about 25 oz per sqft of wing-loading, so it looks like I'm going to build the whole thing out of carbon fiber, with the same parts. A 3rd version.

More detail can be seen at the url in my signature.

Last edited by RKTLaunch; 09-28-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:31 PM
RKTLaunch

Some progress.

I decided not to do much programming until I get most of the fuselage done. So I'm starting on the back half. The rudder is not attached or linked....more painting. I won't install it until after I turn the model upside down and skin the bottom of the wings.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:17 PM
RKTLaunch

I'm getting close to finishing the fuselage...and have done most of the programming. You can see an ESC vent going in, just above the forward wing control surface.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:57 PM
RKTLaunch

I haven't posted in a while. Here's the finished version 2, the xv1b finished, building anyway. I'm getting close with programming the control surfaces. It's taken me some time to learn OpenTX. I'm building a wind tunnel for this.

Video of the programmed control surfaces. Not quite done yet, but almost. 2:42 in length.
... video down for editing.

More info here: https://thefourthpoint.com/aeronautics/xv1.htm

Last edited by RKTLaunch; 09-28-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:47 PM
RKTLaunch

Sorry, I took the video down to make some changes, so here's a photo.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:32 PM
yorcram

interesting look,
Old 09-24-2022, 08:33 PM
RKTLaunch

Originally Posted by yorcram View Post
interesting look,
Thanks. I think so.... While aerodynamics is the key, I feel ascetics are important too. It's all part of the whole design.

Last edited by RKTLaunch; 09-28-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:08 AM
RKTLaunch

I am beginning the 3rd version. The xv1c. Mostly gathering materials and parts and I'm starting on the new backbone with much less wood.... designing the parts. I draw the parts in 3-veiw 1 to 1 scale and print them. Then trace them on to the lumber and cut'em out. Ha, my printer died and with some research found, I can buy the parts and fix it intead of buying a new one. It's a Brother model monochrome laser jet that does a good job, but apparently has s common problem of drum failure, so they're easy to get in aftermarket parts. I can't do much without the printer except the backbone. That's all straight lines.

The WCL of the 2nd version is 10.3. I'm projecting the WCL of the 3rd version to be 8.6.