GWS Slow Stick - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

GWS Slow Stick

Old 11-10-2005, 09:50 PM
kuzikood
gravity expert

ok now that was fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 man it hauls tail ....lol it moves like its got a brushless!!!!!!!!!!!and the torgue good ness!!!!! oh i gotta put ailerons on this thing now!!!!!only gets about 5 mins flight time but who cares what a blast to fly im gonna have to pu in some stiffeners for the tail feathers cuz they were just contorting all sots of ways lol and its heavey now so it goes in the winds awesome ...wooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo

-kuzi-
Old 11-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Steve
Vermont Electric

Yo kuzi,

Me too. I've never had a wing fail and I've done some pretty outrageous stuff with my SS! I'm currently working on version IV. I decided to keep the dihedral and not go with aileron setup, but I'll have a Himax 2025 at 6:1 with a 1280 prop on a Cobri gearbox. I stick built the tail feathers and covered with Solite. I'm also using minimal epoxy,etc. to keep the weight down as much as possible. Hopefully, I'll be able to put a camera on it later.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:15 PM
kuzikood
gravity expert

everything i i fly has to be heavy cuz i live in a windtunnel and remember
heavy=better wind penetration but heavy also =deeper ground penetration

-kuzi-
Old 11-10-2005, 11:44 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kuzikood View Post
ive had a couple hundred flights outta my SS and havent had the wing snap yet been thrue 4 gearboxes and 2 speedcontrols....not for over loading just from sooooooo many flights...so what to do ...well i found an old brand new modified 540 motor and gearbox from an old "hi performance"electric ...hmmmmmmmmm this will be fun espeacially with lighter batteries' lighter radio gear ..and a very very light airframe..ima gonna go try this right now i held the motor on with a hose clamp lolol now thats low buck!

-kuzi-
NAW!

It's not low bucks, it is "economical". If it works and you are satisfied, use it.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:48 PM
kuzikood
gravity expert

and if it dont work...bang on it and glue it till it does..... a neighbor gave me a old electrajet and buy the time i finnaly retired it it had over 8 ounces of hotglue and strapping tape on it and was an inch and a half shorter than when i received it lol

----------kuzi-
Old 11-10-2005, 11:49 PM
kuzikood
gravity expert

but it still flew great
Old 11-10-2005, 11:52 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

but it still flew great
I'd bet it did!!!

Fun isn' it?

Old 11-10-2005, 11:56 PM
kuzikood
gravity expert

i think i need to start a whole forum group on r/c cannibalizing and frankensteining what do ya think lol
cuz ive got a perfect set of wings to laniermariner40 most of a CG edge 540 and several other things laying around.... hmmm maybe a contest of who can make the ugliest plane out of old parts and household supplies that actually flies ...now that would be fun

-kuzi-
Old 11-11-2005, 12:00 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

i think i need to start a whole forum group on r/c cannibalizing and frankensteining what do ya think lol
cuz ive got a perfect set of wings to laniermariner40 most of a CG edge 540 and several other things laying around.... hmmm maybe a contest of who can make the ugliest plane out of old parts and household supplies that actually flies ...now that would be fun

-kuzi-
That I like very much. To see who can come up with the weirdest looking flying thing made of regular "materials" and cheap stuff!

Old 11-11-2005, 12:03 AM
kuzikood
gravity expert

have to have pics in flight or at least off the ground to prove it....only new parts allowed are props and thats just for safety ...hmmmm wait ive got about 30 broken props laying around and..........no wait new props are allowed lol

-------------kuzi-
Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

have to have pics in flight or at least off the ground to prove it....only new parts allowed are props and thats just for safety ...hmmmm wait ive got about 30 broken props laying around and..........no wait new props are allowed lol

-------------kuzi-
HMMM!

You mean it has to fly too?

30 broken props glued two together would give you 15 almost as good as new ones, won't they? :p :p :p

Old 11-11-2005, 12:11 AM
kuzikood
gravity expert

hey do you use aim or yahoo?
-kuzi-
Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 AM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

My latest Blucor flying "creation". Scares the living daylights of people at parks who haven't got a clue as to what is it!

400 feet up and some think it's a flying something or other since it makes no noise and is rather "maneuverable".

It even 3Ds! Landings are falling leaf like. Harriers? NAW!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bluforightrear-02.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	3739  

Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

hey do you use aim or yahoo?
-kuzi-
Neither. I used to ICQ but gave it up three years ago. :o

Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Dr. Who?

Originally Posted by flyranger View Post
I love my slow stick. It's my windy flyer, thats why I added a brushless and converted it to ailerons.
too bad the aerilons don't work well.

I have had 3 slow sticks so far, oneis stock, the seconds one is a canard stick,a nd the third one is a 6ch plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435781

O have done the external aerilons on my 2 and third slow stick. they do not work. no prop wash. I have flaperons, and a parachuit, that I can deploy that will glidet the plane to the ground if in trouble.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:26 AM
kuzikood
gravity expert

if ya make the ailerons big enough and give them enough throw they will work .
Old 11-13-2005, 11:20 PM
flyranger
I Crash Things!!

Originally Posted by Dr. Who? View Post

I have had 3 slow sticks so far, oneis stock, the seconds one is a canard stick,a nd the third one is a 6ch plane.

O have done the external aerilons on my 2 and third slow stick. they do not work. no prop wash. I have flaperons, and a parachuit, that I can deploy that will glidet the plane to the ground if in trouble.
Did you remove the dihedral in the wing? I cut my wing and rejoined it with fiberglas tape and 5 minute epoxy. If you leave the dihedral in, the ailerons wont be very effective.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:21 AM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dr. Who? View Post

If you are using independent servos for each aileron and a computer radio, use the largest arm available for each servo. Adjust your aileron deflection to 60 degrees up and 45 degrees down on each one of them. I can guarantee you will see that thing turn with authority and even roll.

The large deflection and differential dialed in will overcome most of what the dihedral and undercamber in that wing are tying to prevent, the roll.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 PM
gladtofly

I just started flying my slow stick, ant there is quite a bit of "wing flutter" as i loop. Will putting straping tape on the bottom of the wing help?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gladtofly View Post
I just started flying my slow stick, ant there is quite a bit of "wing flutter" as i loop. Will putting straping tape on the bottom of the wing help?
gladFly'inBub::Renforced pack''in tape works well, but if she's got alot of " smiley-face" when you pull out you may want to use spars like wood dowels or carbon rod's,, wood works great for me ,an a bucks worth all you need, your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 132.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	65580   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 094.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	65581   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 381.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	357.5 KB