Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Electronics help

Old 06-26-2015, 07:00 AM
ColdWarBrony

Default Electronics help

Hey guys. I've decided I want to build a plane, and I've discovered something called a "swappable," where you build a central 'power pod' (containing your receiver, speed controller, motor, battery, etc) And have the ability to put it in a variety of different airframes built for that purpose.

So I had some questions about the electronics required to build one. I've found some things, but I'm certain I could get them for cheaper. Here's what I've found through my research:

http://store.flitetest.com/power-pac...ed-wing-large/
All the electronics I'd need except for the battery, receiver, and transmitter

http://www.horizonhobby.com/airplane...eiver-spmar400
This is the cheapest I can find for a receiver. I don't see myself needing more than 4 channels in the future... Also I'm pretty sure I'd need a BEC to go along with it, since I'm PRETTY sure it doesn't have an internal one...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/airplane...itter-spmr5520
This is the cheapest controller I could find. It's pretty basic, but I'm trying to do this for as cheap as possible. I MAY get a more expensive one in the future...

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything (battery obviously) and if anyone knows where I can find these materials for even cheaper?

Thanks.

-Alden
Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The main issue with a quickly removable and replaceable power and electronics package is reliably connecting the control system such that trims don't need to be adjusted.

There have been successful production models that dealt with this by use of magnets, but size and performance is limited by the ability of the magnets to maintain the connection between push-rod and servo.

If you want to do it for the challenge... go for it.
If its for cost savings, you aren't going to save a lot.

Rapid decrease in cost of the receiver, servos and power system components to be swapped has made it less worthwhile to go to the effort needed to set up a workable "swapable" setup.

Back when I started a basic 4 channel radio system cost appx $500 and a good condition 2 yr old VW Beetle cost the same. (and minimum wage was about $1.25) That made the attempt to be able to swap stuff from plane to plane very worthwhile.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

The Electronics you have displayed look pretty good, I would not try to go cheaper, The AR400 receiver is a full range receiver, thats a good thing, the DX5e is a very good transmitter for the money, for a intry level electronics, the system looks good, If your in the USA, look at Heads up rc for any other parts you might need, Jeff at HURC is great to work with, a lot of folks here use HURC for Parts, Also look at HURC motor pager for power systems, jeff has balanced motor, esc, prop and battery Data that is Awesome and will get you in the ball park for just about any Plane, use a UBEC for cheap insurance, Hope that helps, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-GT2...otor-C-691.htm

http://www.headsuphobby.com/111v-130...tery-F-140.htm
Old 06-26-2015, 09:38 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Brony, it sounds like you're expecting the rx to have a bec in it, but BEC's aren't something in rx's. They're in most esc's. Check the specs for your esc. And Chellie, I hope you can forgive me for disagreeing with you, but in the case of these Flite Test swappables, I think a separate ubec isn't really necessary. But I agree, on larger planes I would value more, I go to the side of caution and use one.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The pod idea sounds good 'in theory' but when you consider that the airframes would have to be specially designed to take the 'pod' and because of that they would be very much compromised and more complex, and more expenside airframes. All the planes you fit it too would have to be quite similar anyway as power systems are specific to a models requirements.

I'm just not sure it's such a great idea and it wont really save you anything, in fact initial outlay will be higher.

You can pick up a excellent 6 channel full range receiver for $10 and motors and speed controllers for not much more, the battery can easily be swapped anyway as it has to come out for charging... So all in all there isnt really much to be gained by the swapable pod idea except a lot of hassle.

Hobbyking is always worth checking for cheap stuff, but their shipping can be expensive so headsuphobby might be better (assuming you are in the USA?). You might look at the Orange T-Six transmitters from Hobbyking, they are cheap and work well and have more channels and much greater features than the DX5i..
I'd personally not recommend the DX5i because it has no model memory capability so would be a giant pain if you wanted to fly more than one model using it. the Orange T-Six transmitter give you model memories and a host of other features for less money.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:43 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

JPF, the swappables are already designed on FliteTest.com. You can order kits or just download free plans if you want. They have several available, even one pretty cool twin cargo plane. I agree trims and control throw differences could be bothersome. I guess you'd have to put a little more work into them and adjust mechanically as necessary.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Brony, it sounds like you're expecting the rx to have a bec in it, but BEC's aren't something in rx's. They're in most esc's. Check the specs for your esc. And Chellie, I hope you can forgive me for disagreeing with you, but in the case of these Flite Test swappables, I think a separate ubec isn't really necessary. But I agree, on larger planes I would value more, I go to the side of caution and use one.
Hi Mech Its ok to Agree or Disagree here on WF I learned Long ago that a ubec is a must with a 2.4 radio system, I had a cheapy foamy with a DX6i and Yep it went into a Brown out and crash, Thats a terrible feeling when you loose control when you go into a Brown out and crash a plane when it could have been avoided with a cheapy ubec, thats just my opinion, IMHO, Its just good cheap insurance, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 06-26-2015, 05:04 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Chellie, I thought you didnt even use 2.4GHz?

Anyway, the requirement for a separate BEC (uBEC if you like) really depends on your other hardware. These days you can get ESCs with built in BEC's capable of supplying 10Amps or more, which is far more than most uBECs can supply.

But having said that, the ESC's in the Flitetest package look like they have a cheapo linear 2A BEC in, which I'd not trust.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:08 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Chellie, I thought you didnt even use 2.4GHz?

Anyway, the requirement for a separate BEC (uBEC if you like) really depends on your other hardware. These days you can get ESCs with built in BEC's capable of supplying 10Amps or more, which is far more than most uBECs can supply.

But having said that, the ESC's in the Flitetest package look like they have a cheapo linear 2A BEC in, which I'd not trust.
I had a DX6i a while ago, back then the receivers were very expensive, the price has come down on them now, I might have to go back to 2.4, as they are not selling the berg receivers that I like with 72Mhz anymore, I did like the DX6i transmitter and the memory that it had, Take care, Chellie
Old 06-26-2015, 05:10 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

JPF, the swappables are already designed on FliteTest.com.
Good point, they look not too bad actually, but even so the designs will have an element of compromise to 'fit' around a standard power pod. For the hassle involved in swapping pods between one model and another and re-configuring the setup, vs. the modest cost of budget price hardware I'd personally just put a separate motor/ESC and receiver in each plane.
Separate hardware also means your entire fleet isn't grounded if one component in your power pack develops a fault or the pack gets damaged in a crash.

But each to their own.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
But each to their own.
That's the key. I personally have a budget where I'm not really interested either even though I appreciate the design work that's gone into them, but ColdWarBrony is. Maybe due to budget, maybe he likes the novelty, whatever. But I'm happy to try to help him reach his goal.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

But I'm happy to try to help him reach his goal.
As am i, just trying to point out the possible compromises that that 'goal' may have.

But the planes look like great fun models so why not!... It's always possible to make up a couple of 'pods' to make sure all your eggs aren't in one basket.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 PM
ColdWarBrony

Thanks for all the help, guys. The reason I'm building an FT Swappable is because I'm JUST starting out with aircraft building. so I'd like to have the ability to swap out the electronics with different air frames.