General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

The New Durafly DH-88 Comet- Gorgeous !

Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Default The New Durafly DH-88 Comet- Gorgeous !

Here's the new Durafly DH-88 Comet from Hobby King:

Mine arrived yesterday and I was very impressed with the quality. No damage in shipping and the unboxing was uneventful.

This plane is modeled after the classic 1930's racer that set all kinds of speed records. It has scale operating electric retracts and counter-rotating props.

Getting her set-up for Maiden.

The threads do indicate a few quirks but for the most part, the flight reviews have been very positive.

A lot of plane for the money !

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24517

-Hawk
Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

I always thought that Plane was Kwel look'in,, It flew in long distant races to Down Under From the UK,,,,bubsteve
Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 PM
frenchstan

Default Good Looking but tip stalls like mad!

You MUST keep the speed up on this, especially in turns. It will drop a wing tip and auger-in very easily. GLUE the nacelles to the wing to allow belly landings, and consider pulling out the retracts for your first dozen flights to lower the wing loading. Also, cut out the nose weight. Once you are used to it, you can put the retracts back on. Watch your CG closely!

Otherwise, it's a sleek, fast, crowd-pleasing plane. See other sites for more info.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:11 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

It's one of the planes that I wish I was still able to fly at the local airport and use their runway !

The '88 is a stylish and beautiful aircraft.... but of course she comes from the 'Golden Age' of flying ...

Nigel
Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I lost my 88 about a year ago. Flew great but was never intended for grass fields. Very fragile. Was the wrong plane for me at the time. I wish they would scale it up. I've seen a few scratch built balsa versions that looked outstanding but we're talking beaucoup money.

As a glutton for punishment, I do love twins. Maybe it's an Austin Powers fantasy-LOL. Have the Freewing Mossy which is a great plane and am now getting a used eflight "Deuces Wild" which was discontinued a few years ago. 62"(1570mm) 10 pound AUW Wood/balsa w/ twin Scorpion 710KV 1000watt motors, 75 amp Jeti esc's , twin 5000 mah 4S lipos. All for USD $200. Oh yeah !