General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Disassemble and clean rc electric motor.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM
WFRAH

Default Disassemble and clean rc electric motor.

Hi. I am looking for info on how to take apart, clean, and replace the shaft on the motor of my eflite apprentice s 15e. It crashed leaving the nose badly damaged including the motor shaft which was broke off flush with the front of the motor. I am waiting for parts and in the meantime would like to clean any dirt that got into the motor on impact. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.....Newbie.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 PM
birdDog
Charging....

You can press apart and together using punches, deep-well sockets, steel,brass dowels (or bolts but that is less pro, I will deny saying that :P) and a bench vise, or c-clamp. Just make sure to only push a small amount at a time, loosen the press and square/center things up, repeat. I have to suggest new bearings. High quality RC bearings can be bought relatively cheap and in many cases are a big improvement on the originals.

Use the socket or any other cup type tool to support the body, just slightly larger than the outside diameter of the item being pressed.

Those little "C-clip" things on the shaft, ALWAYS remove and replace them while working with the parts, tools and your hands inside a clear plastic bag. When those things launch (which they usually seem to do), it's nice to have them contained vs. an hour searching the floor with a magnet/flashlight.

Oh, and WELCOME TO WATTFLYER!

Last edited by birdDog; 04-19-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Sham

Surely, considering how cheap these things are, a new motor is the most sensible course of action?

You can always strip the old motor anyway, to gain experience.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:26 PM
WFRAH

Default Disassemble and clean rc electric motor

I only have 15 minutes on the original motor and it was not run since the crash, only turned by hand so if I can get it completely cleaned out, I would rather not replace anything that's not broken yet. I understand what you are saying though. The lesson I learned from this is to stop flying if the wind starts to pick up.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:13 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Originally Posted by Sham View Post
Surely, considering how cheap these things are, a new motor is the most sensible course of action?

You can always strip the old motor anyway, to gain experience.
That is about a $70 motor. Personally, I would work on a repair but also consider a drop in replacement. This takes considering a lot of variables which I cannot put together very well due to the lack of published info and specs on the E-flite BL15. I would most likely try to find an equivalent.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:36 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Bearings and shafts in a brushless motor are a piece of cake providing you have the right tools. A hammer is NOT the right tool! A drill press works great or if you're creative a large bench vice can be used. You can also get a cheap arbor press from Harbor Freight. (I use my drill press.) You want to press it apart not BEAT it apart. Not more than an hour ago I replaced bearings in Align and Scorpion heli motors. Took no more than about 5 minutes on each one. The Align motor is 100% pressed together. The Scorpion is pressed/set screwed together. Some other motors use retainer rings and maybe a combination of the other two methods. Go to YouTube and search for brushless motor bearing replacement. Watch a few to help you figure out what shaft retainer method your motor uses then get the parts and go for it. Your LHS should have the E-Flight parts in stock. It seems like every LHS carries E-Flight.

Joe
Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM
WFRAH

Default Disassemble and clean RC electric motor

Thanks for all the tips guys. I have to wait until the end of the month for a new motor shaft so I will wait a week or so before a take it apart.