RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiple servo connections, DiY wiring ideas

Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Multiple servo connections, DiY wiring ideas

How many people have multiple serves to connect from wing or other - and using individual servo plugs ? I know I have a few models like that. I put tags on the leads to indicate which is which.

But another way is to remove the servo plugs and connect via a single multi plug. The + and - are common for all servos, so all we need to do is sort signal - the white or yellow lead.

A balance plug will connect multiple servos easily and with correct polarity.

6S balance plug will do 5 servos, 5S will do 4, 4S do 3 etc etc.

The wiring can be as you wish but basically means :

A 6S plug has 7 pins, two pins are the +/-, the remaining are the individual signal wires of each servo.

The only fiddly bit is connecting up each Rx output and of course all the power connections of the servos. But once done - no more multiple servo plugs. Just one plug solution.

The idea can even be extended to give a remote Rx connection block, instead of all the servo leads extended to reach that Rx, you have this balance plug system extend the Rx side.

I often use multi-core telephone cable to extend multiple servo setups, neat, compact and easily fitted into the model. The cable has colored leads so easily identified for each servo etc.

Just throwing ideas in - feel free to add other DiY wiring ideas in ....

Nigel
Old 04-14-2015, 09:18 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Has anyone ever tried using small gauge banana plugs or similar to auto-plug in wing servos etc.
Idea being that when you slide wing half onto the fuselage mounted spar, (mid-mounted wing as example), as the wing mates with fuselage - it plugs into socket to connect servos ?

Just having a 'brainstorm' moment !

Nigel
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I used a 9 pin DIN computer connector for one aircraft.

That could work for plug-in wings to automatically plug into the wing's servos if you have a bolt pulling the wing in place close enough to the plug.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I used a 9 pin DIN computer connector for one aircraft.

That could work for plug-in wings to automatically plug into the wing's servos if you have a bolt pulling the wing in place close enough to the plug.
My Extra, Yak, ASK21, etc. Have wings that pull onto to dowels / spars and with internal fuselage bolts into root ribs, hold downs etc.These wings of course are then precise in location. So a permanent socket fitted to fuselage would give auto-connect of leads.
At present I like many other people plug / unplug servo leads individually. Not a bad way, but just thinking how to automate.
My ASK21 I have hot glued the aileron / spoiler extension sockets into cut-outs in wing seat. I then fit wings, then plug in the servos after. The factory way was to connect servos, then the three handed manoevre wing into place and bolt up ! The wing alloy spar turning usually while fitting causing strange wing angles !

Nigel
Old 04-15-2015, 12:47 AM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

I don't advise having 2 hard mounted plugs that mate into each other, rather use 1 hard mounted and 1 soft plug that you can move and plug in. Under normal flight, the wings can flex up and down which can cause the plugs to bend and flex out of alignment, and can actually be forced to separate, so you always want one plug to be free moving- this free moving plug will articulate with the hard mounted plug perfectly, so there's no fear of it losing connection.

Generally, us giant scale guys with multiple plugs use an adapter that the servo leads plug into. Multiplex has an M6 connector that is popular, companies like TaildraggerRC have these plugs readily available.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Movement isnt that much of a problem unless you have really sloppy joiners.

Most sailplane guys use the multiplex connectors. I use them for the join between the center and tip panels as well as the main wing join to the fuse.

6 pin connectors

http://www.alofthobbies.com/6-pin-wing-connector.html

mounts for same

http://www.alofthobbies.com/6-pin-mount.html

The main consideration in choosing connectors is the number of connect/disconnect cycles they are good for.

I like these because of the nifty mounts. Makes them easily replaced if they go bad.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
How many people have multiple serves to connect from wing or other - and using individual servo plugs ? I know I have a few models like that. I put tags on the leads to indicate which is which.

But another way is to remove the servo plugs and connect via a single multi plug. The + and - are common for all servos, so all we need to do is sort signal - the white or yellow lead.

A balance plug will connect multiple servos easily and with correct polarity.

6S balance plug will do 5 servos, 5S will do 4, 4S do 3 etc etc.

The wiring can be as you wish but basically means :

A 6S plug has 7 pins, two pins are the +/-, the remaining are the individual signal wires of each servo. Each connector hooks up the respective aileron and flap servos for each wing panel. If I should reversed them by accident, the ailerons still work but the flaps are dead because of the wire off set. Could also have used 8 pin and 9 pin connectors so they can't be mixed, but after 4 years of flying with this setup, never had a problem.

The only fiddly bit is connecting up each Rx output and of course all the power connections of the servos. But once done - no more multiple servo plugs. Just one plug solution.

The idea can even be extended to give a remote Rx connection block, instead of all the servo leads extended to reach that Rx, you have this balance plug system extend the Rx side.

I often use multi-core telephone cable to extend multiple servo setups, neat, compact and easily fitted into the model. The cable has colored leads so easily identified for each servo etc.

Just throwing ideas in - feel free to add other DiY wiring ideas in ....

Nigel

Hi Nigel
I've done this awhile back, it's been working out very well. The photo shows what it looks like. These are locking type connectors, so they won't come apart during flight. Here is the original posting on this setup that I'm using for balance cables.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64209

And, attached is a photo of it in one of my giant scale airplanes.

It's interesting, now there are several places that build up similar connector systems using the same exact connector I used. FYI, this connector style is available with from two pins to 22 pins. I've standardized on 9 pins for all of my stuff. These connectors are also available with gold pins, but I've found the regular pins have worked out just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiple Servo Connectors.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	180184  
Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi Denny - yes I knew you had and was expecting you to post.

One of the reasons I suggested balance plugs - many of us have 'retired' lipo's that we can salvage plugs / leads from. They also when plugged together fully do literally lock.

As you all know - I'm a cheapskate, so recycling gear is my way !

I also have a boxful of PC hard drive cables with multi ends. But they tend to be heavier.

Nigel