Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Is sequence important?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Dogsnout

Default Is sequence important?

I'm new to all of this and am waiting for the wind to die before trying my Super Cub. I noticed that the manuals say to turn on the transmitter before hooking up the battery and for charging they say to hook the battery up to the charger and then plug it in. Then reverse both processes when finished.

Is there a reason for using that sequence?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM
cliffh

I don't know about the battery/charger thing, but you definately want your transmitter turned on before you turn on your airplane receiver. If the plane is turned on first, the servos may just go crazy and try to travel to an extreem position, depending on what type of signals it may be receiving or electrical background noise, possibly to the point of damaging the servo. The transmitter signal will keep things centered nicely.

Transmitter turned on first....and off last.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Dogsnout

Alright, thank you very much!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Mark Wood
Owner: LipoSack.com

Depending on the charger but most of them "interrogate" the battery to set up the charge sequence. Therefore, hook up battery first so that the charger can "see" it.

Cliff is absolutely spot on about the transmitter sequence.

mw
Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Rodneh

Most modern chargers have you set up the parameters before connecting the battery; i.e. choose NiMh, NiCad, LiPo etc. before starting the charge or connecting the battery. On some, it makes no difference as the battery is not connected internally until you push the "Charge" button.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

The charger is just a precautionary thing. If there were to be an internal mafunction of some type sending power to the leads and let's say they were touching somthing metal as opposed to being connected to a battery...

well... that wouldn't be good.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM
darylm44

Turn on the radio first. It is possible for the motor to start running if the transmitter is not turn on first. This can cause the need for stitches

I had never had a problem so I got careless about this and had an 11x7 spool up close to my leg. That got my attention. Don't know why it only does this sporadicly?

Also, when working on the electronics it is a good idea to remove the prop so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:18 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
Turn on the radio first. It is possible for the motor to start running if the transmitter is not turn on first. This can cause the need for stitches

I had never had a problem so I got careless about this and had an 11x7 spool up close to my leg. That got my attention. Don't know why it only does this sporadicly?

Also, when working on the electronics it is a good idea to remove the prop so you don't have to worry about it.
Excellent advice. I did not use to do that but I started with my big Waco... The thought of that 20" prop starting unexpectedly gave me chills...

Now I do it for all my planes.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM
cliffh

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
(snip)
I'll second that. Not long ago while helping a buddy setup his plane, I meant to reverse the rudder servo.....instead, I accidently reversed the THROTTLE servo. WOW, with the plane on the workbench eating a roll of pape towels, it took us a few seconds to figure out what happened. Nobody got hurt, but it sure got exciting. If the prop had been removed it wouldn't have hurt anything.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
buzkil
For love of flight

Hey I third that advice. One time i was sitting at the kitchen table with the plane pointed away from me trying to set up my thows. When i had to reverse one of the servos, ended up reversing the throttle servo and she took off and crashed into the wifes potted plant which tore the plant to sheds. I managed to dress up the plant and got rid of the evidence so she never knew. So I ended up crashing the plane before it ever madiened. But had it have been pointed my way, things would have gotten ugly real quik.