General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Hobby Lobby's sale

Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

Default Hobby Lobby's sale

Today was hobby lobby's annual after thanxgivin day sale. If you missed it, I guess you'll have to wait til next year. There were some good deals.
And then there were some deals that you could have gotten cheaper elsewheres. AXI motors, lipos, just about everything they carry had a sale tag. For instance, the hobby lobby yak 55 shock foamie, normally sells for 29 beans, I scarfed one for $13. Esskay brushless outrunners, roughly 40-some bux, on sale for $19. Some of the lipoly packs were still too outrageous even at the sale price. These were the pro lites. Others, were at an okay price. So, what did y'all buy?

Dave...
Old 11-26-2005, 02:28 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

I agree on the Pro Lites not being much of a deal except for the 3S2P 4200's which I got two packs of for $136.00 a piece, which is $19.00 a pack cheaper then I know where to get them at normal price.

I also got a Jeti 77 Opto ESC and a program card for $135.00 and the sale price was $44.00 cheaper then HL non sale price.
So with shipping thrown in, I saved $55.00
I'm happy.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:57 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

Rugar, you did okay!!! Some of the prices were pretty good I thought. Just depended upon what items your looking at.

Dave...
Old 11-26-2005, 06:00 AM
Twmaster

I was really let down by the lame sales this year. I had put a goodly pile of cash aside hoping H-L would put some truely awesome deals up. Didn't see much that got my attention. The only thing I bought were 5 of the SK 400XT motors. At $19.90 each that was a deal.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
I was really let down by the lame sales this year. I had put a goodly pile of cash aside hoping H-L would put some truely awesome deals up. Didn't see much that got my attention. The only thing I bought were 5 of the SK 400XT motors. At $19.90 each that was a deal.
It all depends on what your looking for. It was all for the most part a deal, but only a deal if it was something that the person buying it wanted or had a use for. You had no use for 3S2P Pro Lite packs so even if they were priced 25.00 a pack cheaper, it still would not be a deal for you. Even at 20.00 for the 400XT's I saw no deal there for me because I have no use for them.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

I've noticed that Hobby-Lobby's battery prices are high in general. I was thinking of buying a TwinStar II sometime in the future, and their battery price was like $75. I looked elsewhere and found it for $35 and under. Their other stuff seems about right. ESCs are a little high too, but they are a good brand.

I almost jumped on the Esskay motor, but my darling wife talked me out of it, since I don't have a plane for it yet, and I've got three planes that haven't even flown yet. The motor can wait for the Christmas Eve sale or whatever, hehehe. If only it had a stick mount with it like the Himax outrunners...

The flat foamy Yaks were tempting too, but the flat planes are just so ugly, I couldn't even do it for $13. (keeping in mind that it would take another $100-150 to get it airborne...)

The $5 Graupner 7.2 V Speed 400 was awfully tempting too, but I don't have a plane for it yet.

Also, the hourly thing was a bit of a pain. It was a family day for me, so I missed a lot of stuff probably, and when I did sneak away to have a peek, I was being accused of rudeness.

These outrageous after Thanksgiving sales are a little too demanding for my taste.

Enjoy your purchases!

Jeremy
Old 11-26-2005, 07:32 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
I've noticed that Hobby-Lobby's battery prices are high in general. I was thinking of buying a TwinStar II sometime in the future, and their battery price was like $75. I looked elsewhere and found it for $35 and under. Their other stuff seems about right. ESCs are a little high too, but they are a good brand.
The Jetis have always been expensive ESCs. Why? I have no clue, so I use G/P B/L ESCs.

I almost jumped on the Esskay motor, but my darling wife talked me out of it, since I don't have a plane for it yet, and I've got three planes that haven't even flown yet. The motor can wait for the Christmas Eve sale or whatever, hehehe. If only it had a stick mount with it like the Himax outrunners...
E-Flite sells a stick mount adapter for their outrunners. It works with the Esskays and others too! $4.99 each, see photo below.

Also, the hourly thing was a bit of a pain. It was a family day for me, so I missed a lot of stuff probably, and when I did sneak away to have a peek, I was being accused of rudeness.

These outrageous after Thanksgiving sales are a little too demanding for my taste.

Enjoy your purchases!

Jeremy
I'll wait for their pre or post X-Mas sale!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-esskay-003.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	4151  

Old 11-26-2005, 11:55 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

Yes, the jeti controllers have always sorta been on the high side. The esskay's were at a really good price. Some don't really like the profile/shock type foamies. I for one would rather have full fuse but at a measly $13, the yak 55's I felt were a helluva deal. Like whats been said,
all depended on what your needs were.
Seems like the prices on brushless motors, the smaller ones in the speed 400 and lower range, have come down a bit. Along with some of the brushless esc's and even a few of the lipoly packs. Still, I find it difficult to purchase a mega 16\15\4 motor for around $90. Prices on those have gone up. Same with most of the 3S 2100 mah and higher packs. $70 + for a battery pack??? And for a technology thats a bit more volatile than your normal nimh or nicad pack? I guess you gotta pay to play eh?

Dave...
Old 11-26-2005, 02:22 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit View Post
Seems like the prices on brushless motors, the smaller ones in the speed 400 and lower range, have come down a bit. Along with some of the brushless esc's and even a few of the lipoly packs.
Ideed they have.
Still, I find it difficult to purchase a mega 16\15\4 motor for around $90. Prices on those have gone up.
Too pricey for my taste! Prices on those is bound to drop once others (the Chinese) begin to bring similar motors into the marketplace.
Same with most of the 3S 2100 mah and higher packs. $70 + for a battery pack??? And for a technology thats a bit more volatile than your normal nimh or nicad pack? I guess you gotta pay to play eh?

Dave...
TW sent me a link to VamPower Li-Pos. You can get an 8C 11.1V 2100 pack from them for $44.95. While 8C discharge rate may sound kinda low by the standards by which others are rating their packs, VamPower's 8C rating is continuous while their burst rate is 10C.

I found to my disgust that some of the ones I bought from two "famous" manufacturers, ones that were rated as being capable of a discharge rate of 15C, were not. These two manufacturers had conveniently left out "burst rate" off the label and just given that as the discharge rate, without even mentioning what the "continuous rate" of them was (8C).

I purchased them based on the 15C rating only to find out on my first trip to the field with a new speed plane, they were not suitable for the power plant I was going to use them with as I was 4 amps short on what they could deliver continuously!

Good thing one of the older e-flyers at the club (he's been using lithium packs since their early days) warned me about it, otherwise I may have wound up with a flammable flying missile. Not a good thing.

For the use I give my packs, these VamPowers are just ideal, performance as well as price wise.

http://www.vampowerpro.com/

Old 11-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

I guess it will be good when the prices of brushless motors come down due to the Chinese overtaking the whole manufacturing industry. It will be sad though, when our local, American companies have to shut down their factories and head to China. I will continue to buy American or European as long as I can afford to.

As for the VamPower LiPos, that is a good thought. The ones that are rated lower are cheaper, and if you're mostly after duration without the weight, it may be the way to go. GWS also has some for dirt cheap.

This has really made me see the value in brushed motors and NiMH batteries. I got 9.6V, 750 mAh packs for my Corsair for about $11 apiece. Now I know they will only probably go for 6 minutes or so, but I can really stock up at those prices, and not have to worry about damaging them. I hear that even though brushless motors are faster, if they are flown slower, NiMH batteries will last longer because they're so much more efficient.

That gets me thinking: What is the better combo? Brushed w/ LiPo or Brushless with NiMH? Ah, the problems we face...

Jeremy

Jeremy
Old 11-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Twmaster

I'd like to see a US manufacturer make/sell brushless motors. Sadly most come from China and the EU.

As for batteries/motors I still use a mix of brushed motors and brushless. Until brushed motors stop doing what I need they will still be in my stables.

I also fly a couple of brushless planes. My current favorite being a Slow Stick with an SK 400XT. It is powered by 8 1000mA Nimh cells. Once again until all of my nicad/Nihm packs are worn out they will be flown.

The biggest advantage the Lipo cells have IMO is weight. The same capacity Lipo pack to the one I am flying in my BLSS is only 1/3 the weight. I'll also state for the record I -am- a cheap so-n-so and will always be happy with a bargain, even if it isn't the latest/greatest/fastest/coolest etc.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Still, I find it difficult to purchase a mega 16\15\4 motor for around $90. Prices on those have gone up. Same with most of the 3S 2100 mah and higher packs. $70 + for a battery pack???
I remember over a year ago when I built my first Boomerang Wing that the prices on the Mega's were around 79.00 at some on-line shops when I was looking for one. Shortly after the prices jumped up over 10.00 for the same motor. I heard it had to do with the manufacture setting a MAP price on them that wasn't in place to start with.

Same with most of the 3S 2100 mah and higher packs. $70 + for a battery pack??? And for a technology that's a bit more volatile than your normal nimh or nicad pack? I guess you gotta pay to play eh?
I don't feel the price on Lipo's has gone up. If anything they have remained about the same. The TP 2100 Pro Lights are selling for about the same price as the TP2100 Gen2 packs were when they first came out. With more batteries hitting the market under different names for the same exact cells, they can be had for cheaper without the "Name Brand" marked on the cell. The trick is figuring out which packs are the same without the high priced "Brand Name" label on the pack.

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
TW sent me a link to VamPower Li-Pos. You can get an 8C 11.1V 2100 pack from them for $44.95. While 8C discharge rate may sound kinda low by the standards by which others are rating their packs, VamPower's 8C rating is continuous while their burst rate is 10C.
I was one of the original Beta testers for Vammys 8C packs when he first got started with batteries. I still fly my original 8C Beta pack which has no label on it and just has writing in Magic Marker on the shrink wrap. I use this pack to loan out at the club field when other flyer's need a pack to fly while they still have theirs on the charger. This pack has flown Slow Sticks, E-Starters, Formosa's, and a few more and still performs great after probably over a 100 cycles and a few crashes on it. Vammy also has good prices on his 10C packs which are Dualsky cells. I have been testing a 3S 2250 Dualsky pack for another manufacture, and these seem to be great cells as well
Old 11-26-2005, 09:51 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rugar View Post
I was one of the original Beta testers for Vammys 8C packs when he first got started with batteries. I still fly my original 8C Beta pack which has no label on it and just has writing in Magic Marker on the shrink wrap. I use this pack to loan out at the club field when other flyer's need a pack to fly while they still have theirs on the charger. This pack has flown Slow Sticks, E-Starters, Formosa's, and a few more and still performs great after probably over a 100 cycles and a few crashes on it. Vammy also has good prices on his 10C packs which are Dualsky cells. I have been testing a 3S 2250 Dualsky pack for another manufacture, and these seem to be great cells as well
TW and I flew one of his packs last Sunday afternoon. I have been using Li-Pos for over three years now, and while I have been dissapointed with the performance of some, by far and large they all have performed rather well.

The Vammys are among the best ones I have used. On par with T/P performance wise, though a bit larger. The size part doesn't afect me at all so I'll be getting three packs from him next Monday (just spacing purchases apart ).

Old 11-26-2005, 09:55 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
That gets me thinking: What is the better combo? Brushed w/ LiPo or Brushless with NiMH? Ah, the problems we face...

Jeremy
A brushless outrunner/Li-Po combination will be the most efficient as well as the lighter of the two affairs.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:48 AM
timocharis
Dave North

Mike,

I think Astroflight is still US made, and the Little Screamer (which may be history now -- don't know. Nobody seems to have them in stock). Any others?

Dave
Old 11-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
Mike,

I think Astroflight is still US made, and the Little Screamer (which may be history now -- don't know. Nobody seems to have them in stock). Any others?
Damn. <Mike smacks himself in the forehead> How did I forget Astro Bob. Darn, Aveox too. I think I need to drink more.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:25 PM
w1gom
Art Roberts

Today was hobby lobby's annual after thanxgivin day sale. If you missed it, I guess you'll have to wait til next year. There were some good deals.
And then there were some deals that you could have gotten cheaper elsewheres. AXI motors, lipos, just about everything they carry had a sale tag. For instance, the hobby lobby yak 55 shock foamie, normally sells for 29 beans, I scarfed one for $13. Esskay brushless outrunners, roughly 40-some bux, on sale for $19. Some of the lipoly packs were still too outrageous even at the sale price. These were the pro lites. Others, were at an okay price. So, what did y'all buy?

Dave...
Dave,

Got the same two items. Looked just too good to pass up.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Actually, I think Aveox has given up on the R/C market.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 AM
jonnyjetprop

If you want to buy US made goods:

Motors: Astroflight, razor (might come back), Neu motors, littlescreamers

ESC: Castle creations, Cool running

John
Old 11-28-2005, 12:58 PM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

The cool running esc's are at a good price. I bought a 3S 1100 mah lipo from a guy named Milton. The sticker on the pack said "Electric Power".
I paid, including shipping, $25. Its an 8C rated continuous discharge with I think 12C burst. Been running it in my Outrage and Katana S. Both of these planes will draw about 10 amps at full throttle. The pack has performed very well as I haven't abused it. Hell, the pack just gets warm after flying in 85 degree weather. I try and keep all my lipos within the rated continuous draw. This is where a meter comes in handy! Over the summer, I bought an eflite amp meter which I have used to measure amp draws and watts in order to keep within the rated limits of lipo packs.
I still use nimh packs too. Just bought 8 cells of CBP 1150's from cheapbatterypacks.com The cells are about $1.60 each. With shipping and 3 feet of shrinkwrap, I paid around $17. These are fantastic for flying speed 400 motors. They hold up to voltage and are rated around 20 amp draw. If you can solder packs yourself, it becomes a cheap way to power your planes.

Dave...
Old 11-28-2005, 04:01 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Don't forget Medusa--high quality American made products; I've got a power analyzer and two of their motors and love 'em. Back on the original topic, I didn't find a whole lot of stuff I needed/wanted on sale this year, so I just picked up a couple of those blue arrow servos, a spare charger and a couple tiny PQ lipos for an IPS powered rig.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

I needed something to do in the winter so I bought a Three Dee for $49 and a Raven for $79. Anyone have any experience building and flying these?

HGF
Old 12-03-2005, 02:45 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

I have a raven but its a sailplane from rcdymond. Don't know if its the same or not. I got the yak 55 almost done. All that is left is the rudder and mounting the motor. I am gonna have to wait a bit as I don't have 3 spare mini servos. The ones I do have are earmarked for the pitts special which should come tomorrow via fedex.

Dave...
Old 12-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

The Raven is from hobby-lobby www.hobby-lobby.com/raven.htm so is the Three Dee www.hobby-lobby.com/threedee.htm

Good luck on the Yak 55

HGF
Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Got all my goodies in today from the Hobby-Lobby sale .

Quick Reply: Hobby Lobby's sale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14257 seconds with 14 queries