Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Refugees from Ezone Gather here!

Old 10-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I know it's trivial and beating a dead horse but I got my first RCG warning for describing something as crappy. Then I see Jim Bourke use the word crap in one of his posts! It simply isn't consistent over there. THAT is what burns me up. I'm not expecting to get away with a potty mouth here on WattFlyer. I'd just like to be treated with a little human respect and not be "spanked" in public. What's wrong with editing an offending post and sending a P.M. to the offender? Why does it have to be a public slap in the face?
I've already seen here where the mods have had to step in and "advise" to be careful about what is being said. While not targeted directly at me I realized I was the offender. I made my apology and have nothing but respect for the mods for pointing out to me that I was "on the edge" of what is acceptable here. Had RC Groups done that I wouldn't be bad mouthing them like I do.
It's very simple. Just treat people with respect rather than contempt!

Joe
Old 10-10-2005, 01:07 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Getting a warning over "crappy" is not moderating. It's CRAPPY.
They said "crap" back in 1976 in "The Bad News Bears" and got a G rating.
That's just pathetic. Not "family friendly", just petty and pathetic.

Does anybody know...is this a religious thing? Several people suggested to me that SOMEONE had a religious revalation and that is behind this...any clues?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by SaMx
one thing I noticed is that whenever J Bouke gives out warning points they always seem to be angry and spiteful. The thing with Kingofthehill is a good example. With the squirrel avatar, Bouke just gave him 3 warning points because he didn't believe it was really Kingofthehills pet squirrel. It is Bourke's site, but he seems to get really emotionally involved in every dispute. He should find some good moderators, and let them handle the warning points.
Yup. He gave me seven all at once, then changed my "label" to "on vaction" from "banned". Seemed nothing but petty, personal, and spiteful.
Did kingofthehill get banned over his avatar of some guy's buttcrack showing? How goofy is that?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:37 AM
admin
Administrator

Well one thing I will guarantee here...we won't be using the warning point system. It is a 5 minute install that I won't touch with a 10 foot pole after reading the comments you guys have about it in this thread. It reminds me of calling a company and getting those voice prompts instead of actually talking to a human being operator. I don't believe moderating is like driving a car where you get "points". It is about human interaction and is a fluid and ever changing art. If done right everyone including the membership should feel ok about a little direction here and there when it becomes necessary.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:03 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Marc,

Absolutely! P.M. or e-mail and beat me up for doing something stupid. I'll understand and comply then. Just don't make me go stand in the corner or try to embarrass me in public like the points system does. You're doing it right here. Keep it up!

Joe
Old 10-10-2005, 04:07 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by admin
Well one thing I will guarantee here...we won't be using the warning point system. It is a 5 minute install that I won't touch with a 10 foot pole after reading the comments you guys have about it in this thread. It reminds me of calling a company and getting those voice prompts instead of actually talking to a human being operator. I don't believe moderating is like driving a car where you get "points". It is about human interaction and is a fluid and ever changing art. If done right everyone including the membership should feel ok about a little direction here and there when it becomes necessary.
That's about the size of it. The whole "point" system is untenable. And it seems like it was the start of the real problems at RCgroups.
But Jim refuses to accept that. Oh, well.
NOBODY is saying "no moderation". But the "point system" is not the way.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

Originally Posted by easytiger
That's about the size of it. The whole "point" system is untenable. And it seems like it was the start of the real problems at RCgroups.
But Jim refuses to accept that. Oh, well.
NOBODY is saying "no moderation". But the "point system" is not the way.

I don't agree that it's untenable, if the mod pulling the trigger on the warning just uses a little common sense.

I also think posters who come on strong and consistantly post just bearly within the rules of the website are part of the reason the rules get turned into kindergarten rules. The mods continually have to redefine rules for those few individuals that operate like a bull in a china shop and eventually the entire site suffers for it. IMHO, that's a big part of what happened over at RCG.

Hopfully, Marc dosen't let that happen here.

Wiz
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I (respectfully) disagree. I think the points system is childish and lazy, and I think the rules are unclear, childish, and petty. I think "crap" is a perfect example. It's not un-family-friendly, it's just weird.
Who is offended by "crappy?"
Old 10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Another thing is this...all credit to Marc Vigod for recognizing that too much moderation and too "family friendly" is not the way to go. He absolutely CHANGED the way he did things a few years ago...he was smart enough to recognize that the core audience is NOT nine year old altarboys and that people can speak with reasonable freedom and nobody will die. There is still a line that can be crossed, of course, but it's more like at least PG, not sub-G rating.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

Originally Posted by easytiger
I (respectfully) disagree. I think the points system is childish and lazy, and I think the rules are unclear, childish, and petty. I think "crap" is a perfect example. It's not un-family-friendly, it's just weird.
Who is offended by "crappy?"
I think the point system could work just fine. I don't however think that is has been working all that well so far. I don't want a G rated site either. I got a warning for saying that sometimes people have to take a little @#it. That seems a little childish to me, but I can live with it.

I know there are people that have been treated unfairly at certain times. That said, I'd be willing to bet most of those same people were let slide on many other occations. I think people who continually complain about the site moderation over at RCG ought to walk a mile in a moderator's shoes.

Wiz
Old 10-10-2005, 04:15 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

@#it, well, we all know the word underneath it, if you had said "crappy", who could complain?
I don't know about people being given a walk in the past.
As far as walking a mile in moderators' shoes, well, some of them were/are just great(Chris True comes to mind) and some are not so great. But if they take on the job, the job is not to just zap any and all possible violations and reports. Well...maybe that IS the job over there, now...the job is to MODERATE. Not just punishate.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

The job ought to be to let people know when they post outside the rules. A point given without loosing ones ability to use the site is simple a warning, not a punishment. It's really no different than the moderator sending you a little message saying tone it down......they will be keeping an eye on you.....and If you continue to do this you'll have your privileges suspended or even removed, as the case may be.

Of course, a warning point isn't as personal as a note from the site moderator, but as a site grows it's not beyond comprehension that sending those personal notes can become quite a burden. It would also become very tiresome if the offenders are the same people over and over again. Like I said, walk a mile in their shoes and then tell us how you feel.

Wiz
Old 10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
admin
Administrator

Well I got my username changed from "rcuniverse" over there to my real name. I had used rcuniverse originally there for full disclosure and had posted for years that way. All of a sudden when wattflyer sprung up it got changed over. Odd timing or just some selective moderation by the site owner there. I wasn't over there promoting rcu or wattflyer. I was defending myself from a troll over there spewing lie after lie which was allowed to go on.

This username change put me in a spot because people didn't necessarily know who I was. I wasn't allowed to have the rcuniverse username I had for years over there nor could I put anything in my signature to disclose who I was. This is something we require here and on rcu. EVeryone is entitled to know who a poster represents if they are financially involved in the rc industry. If that information isn't disclosed then the next guy who comes on here pushing some product might ONLY be doing it because he makes money on it instead of the fact he really just believes in the product.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

Mark,

I'd have to say THAT change was a bad one. If they wanted you to do something like that all they had to do was talk to you about it. I'm sure if you used your name along with a the proper identification underneath it, would have served both purposes. It's these types of stories that worry me about RCG.

I for one am glad to see that religion and politics aren't allowed in this forum.....if for no other reason than to see how that works out. I suggested that over there, but the suggestion fell on deaf ears.

Wiz
Old 10-10-2005, 06:23 PM
admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys
Mark,

I for one am glad to see that religion and politics aren't allowed in this forum.....if for no other reason than to see how that works out. I suggested that over there, but the suggestion fell on deaf ears.

Wiz
Religion and politics have always been topics that divide people. I wanted WattFlyer to bring people together with something we ALL have in common which is flying radio controlled aircraft. There is enough to disagree with in our hobby alone without the need for those two powder kegs to be discussed!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I see the signature thing over there as a real problem. If you are selling something, it should say so in your signature. Period.
The GWS forum over there is LOADED with "helpful average joe modellers" who just HAPPEN to also be GWS dealers.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

ET

I never ran into all the GWS dealers you've been talking about and I think I've been a member there longer than most. Although, I'll admit not being as invloved in the early years.

Wiz
Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 PM
jrb

Wonder how some folks deal with the very enjoyable music that is heard while on hold when purchasing from New Creations? Also enjoy the tunes I hear when I walk into our warehouse; just not what I listen to in the car.

Seems like some here have allowed themselves to really get caught up in some things in a major way; too bad, its really not good for our small (very) community.

Donít particularly like reading flames back and forth, donít see the purpose; know I wonít see much if any of that elsewhere.

Some have moved for personal reasons, and some wonít; I remain mixed, but donít like the feelings I perceive in what I read here as an anti RCG agenda.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

Well, there is always good and bad anywhere we go in life. All we can hope to do is our best. We'll never please everyone.

Wiz
Old 10-10-2005, 10:43 PM
admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys View Post
Well, there is always good and bad anywhere we go in life. All we can hope to do is our best. We'll never please everyone.

Wiz
new feature...link in quotes to lead back to original
Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 PM
admin
Administrator

Cool! it works!!! see example in post above. just needed a post to test it on.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

It does work...and I likes it too.

But how did you do it? Is it automatic?

Wiz
Old 10-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Mike Wizynajtys

Originally Posted by admin View Post
Cool! it works!!! see example in post above. just needed a post to test it on.

OK. I see. It is automatic. Nice feature!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Dreamer
One motor isn't enough!

For what it's worth, when I was a moderator on RCG, we were told that "crap", "crappy", and derivatives thereof weren't to be moderated as they're very common and generally not offensive. Unless things have changed, "crappy" shouldn't have received a point.

Martin
Old 10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

And yet he DID receive a point for it.
And...
What kind of person would REPORT somebody for saying "crap?" The Church Lady?
And what kind of moderator would ISSUE a point for "crap"?
It's pretty baffling to me.

Quick Reply: Refugees from Ezone Gather here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14555 seconds with 10 queries