How to mount securely a pinion on a gearbox shaft? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

How to mount securely a pinion on a gearbox shaft?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:35 AM
Led Zeppelin

Smile How to mount securely a pinion on a gearbox shaft?

Hi Folks,

I have hard times fixing a 10T 3.2mm pinion on a 3.2 gearbox shaft. I tried various different methods like cleanings the parts from any grease and applying red loctite (considerd to be the most strong + high temperature resistant) then waiting for 48 hours before flying; heating the pinion and then securing it on the shaft, etc. Nothing seems to help! As long as I throttle up to the max and hold it for 7-10 secs - the pinion breaks loose from the shaft and I am back to square one.

Any advice will be appreciated. Have you ever tried to glue it to the shaft? What glue? I don't mind permanently fixing the pinion on the shaft.

Thank you in advance!

LedZep
Old 10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

You might want to try filing a flat spot on the shaft right under where the set screw will
tighten down. Then clean everything and use Locktite and see if that helps.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Led Zeppelin

Thanks for the advice. The problem is that the pinions we use do not have a set screw though the gearbox shaft has a filed flat spot. Everything seems to depend solely on the power of the loctite, which is not very reliable when the motor rotates at its maximum capacity for prolonged period of time (7-10 secs.) I guess the temperature rises and the loctite loses its magic powers. What do I do?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

I had the same problem with the red stuff (wrong product) I went to the NAPA auto store and explain my problem and they recomended some GREEN Locktite. I have had it for years and the label is all meessed up but it looks like formula 638 or 639. The green is more industrial strength, once its on, "its on". you have to heat the shaft and gear up to remove it.
Make sure your surfaces are clean with Alchy and let it set for a day or two before useing. Dr Kiwi has stated he uses the same stuff so maybe he will chime in here for the correct numbers!!!
If not go to a auto store and they should be able ro help you out also, but its green not red and thicker also...

Good Luck
Bob
Old 10-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

If you get the loctite brand, I believe it is loctite #209.

The colors are Red, Blue and Green:
Blue: Can be removed with hand tools
Red: Apply heat to remove
Green: Apply heat to remove