General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Rocket assisted takeoff anyone?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Riverman
"No common sense"

Default Rocket assisted takeoff anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with RC airborne pyrotechnics. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of rigging my Aerobird Xtreme to fire some sort of pyro device in flight using my aux channel. I have all the equipment I need, I'm just not exactly sure how I want to execute it.
Do I go for a rocket assisted takeoff (RATO?) or maybe just fire off an "A" sized rocket from under the wing?
Illegal? Yes, highly. Loads of fun and a memory to last a life time? You bet.
I'm also going to visit China town and see if I can't purchase some fireworks that might be fun to light at altitude, possible at night. Any recommendations?

Cheers!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Sorry you wont find much help here with "Illegal" (Your Words) projects. If you do make it work please don't encourage others with posts about it here. We get a pretty bad rap already without adding this kind of stuff to the mix. Its just my 2 cents so take for what its worth.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default some people

some people have no common sense
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Riverman
"No common sense"

Some people live a sheltered life.
Save your judgement.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default judgment hell

just fact you need to think before you post people like you will get this hobby banned look at the big picture
Old 09-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Actually RATO been done and it's for sale: http://www.randrmodelaircraft.com/Delta%20Star.htm

As far as firing a live devise of any kind from an RC vehicle is higly illegal as well as just plain dumb.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:15 AM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

http://www.randrmodelaircraft.com/Delta%20Star.htm

Nice, I have an Estes Astro blaster (in the box) which amounts to the same thing .... Neat. I keep meaning to 'get it built' as I am into Model Rocketry as well.

Don't recommend firing a live device from a plane. Quick way to get R/C banned for the rest of us.... Hate to see it happen. Just be content to drop flour bombs on a target, and parachutes, candy, etc..... Plenty to try without pyrotechnics .
Old 09-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Kosh,
Why do you say that we already get a pretty bad rap? From whom?
I've never witnessed it. Did I miss something?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:02 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Well look at the parks that get shut down across the country for flying. Most would still be open if it weren't for that one person flying that went overboard there and someone filed a complaint. Too fast a plane and too loud for the park seems to be the common complaints that cause a city council to close them.
While I'm sure he wouldn't be doing this in a park there HAVE been fires set even by the tame Esties stuff in the past. Theres a person on this forum that drew some bad press by flying over a packed football game and made the papers. Then theres the guy who crashed his plane into the Goodyear Blimp. I could do this all day but you get the idea. There are plenty of ways to have fun and add toys to theses without endangering anyone or property.
Want Extreme? Add a 9 or 10 cell battery and get that RATO feeling anytime on command.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:38 AM
falingtrea

I would also like to point out that the BATFE is being extremely rough on the high powered rocketry hobby. One of the excuses being used is terrorist can use rockets components to make terror weapons. Start showing them "delivery systems" using model aircraft and see how long the hobby lasts.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

There's nothing "illegal" about rocket-powered or rocket-assisted R/C planes. AMA even makes allowances for them.

Projectiles and incendiary devices are the issue. If you're properly trained, licensed, and insured, then there's nothing illegal about these, either.

Still, I must echo the sentiment that if you do try this, that you do it out in the middle of nowhere with nobody around, and that you do not post about it here. Yes, it would probably be one heck of a spectacle to watch, regardless of the outcome, and probably pretty cool, but we all have a responsibility to not ruin the hobby for everyone else for sake of a "memory to last a lifetime."
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

I like your approach, Matt. It sure beats that mean-spirited, holier-than-thou, judgemental crap. Rules aren't sacred. Principles (and safety) are.
Life is short. Have some fun...just use your head and don't hurt anybody!
Run with scissors? Sure, but do it responsibly.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Riverman
"No common sense"

Couldn't of said it better myself, Ribcracker.

Thats probably because I'm dumb and clearly have no common sense.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:40 PM
falingtrea

Originally Posted by Ribcracker View Post
Rules aren't sacred. Principles (and safety) are.
Unfortunately some government agencies feel rules are.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

hi there are always those who have to try foolish and dangerous stunts. its human nature. lets just hope that no innocent bystanders have to pay for there folly. clear skies and good flying.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

So who's the authority on what's foolish and dangerous. You?
That's very impressive!
How do you handle the incredible responsibility?

Last edited by Ribcracker; 09-20-2006 at 09:23 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

hi how old are you? ten. grow up clear skies and good flying.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Riverman
"No common sense"

That's constructive. Do you have anything to add?!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:12 PM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

Run with scissors? Sure, but do it responsibly.
Sure, but you probably will only damage yourself if you trip . With PyroTechnics you can burn your nieghborhood down and get your name in the paper ... and drag airplanes/rockets into the news .

Done carefully, in a safe 'controlled' manner, in a safe place (over snow, in the desert, over a lake, etc.) probably not a problem..... In rocketry we have fire extinquishers on hand, plus we don't launch if the fire danger is too high at the high altitude site..... We have 'heads up' flights (every one stands and watches) for new rockets 'just in case' .... In fact last month, all launches were scrubbed even for the small rockets due to fire danger.

So who's the authority on what's foolish and dangerous
Not to raise your blood pressure Rib, but it comes with age and experience . That's why a parent has to say to thier child sometimes -- 'Because I said so!' . The child will understand later (around 30 give or take a few years :p ) the whys and how comes .... Hmmmm, I wonder who here commenting is under 30 (speaking of the coming of wisdom age ) .
Old 09-20-2006, 10:25 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

hi i happen to be 44 years old retired after 20 years in the navy. and i've seen the best of intentions turn bad. im not telling you what to do only tryng to warn you what not to do. and your hot headed replies are what i would expect from a ten year old. and not a very good one either. clear skies and good flying. now i remember were i saw your call sign you were encouraging another member that it was alright to drop bombs from his plane.

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 09-20-2006 at 11:16 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Red face

I normally try to avoid, mean arrogant people. You know, the ones who think they know what's best for everyone and would gladly impose their wills to ensure compliance with their "standards".. I see this behavior most often in cops, military types, and church people. Perhaps I shouldn't stereotype like this because there are always exceptions, of course. I'm refering to the pathetic folks who tend to point out (or contrive) short-comings in others in order to make themselves feel superior, when, in fact, they have low self esteem. Apparantly, running down others brings them a perceived empowerment and a sense of self-righteousness that salves their lack of self-worth and provides them gratification. They're most effective in a group of like-minded supporters, e.g., a political bloc, culture club, or church group. Their judgemental behavior is quite often manifested in intolerance and bigotry, such as... racism, homophobia, etc.
I'm a peaceful man who believes that people should behave in a way that feels right and just. We all are entitled to an opinion and we should feel free to proclaim it but we need to respect the rights of others to do their own "thing".Tyranny nearly always starts by targeting a group of opponents or social "undesirables" (often in the name of "a war on X" or " the crisis of Y"). Once accepted by the public, it engulfs whole populations.
Please learn to live and let live. You are not better, smarter, wiser, than the "other" guy. You're just different, that's all.
Herewith, I'm going to withdraw from this thread and pursue my passions (safely), without the criticism of those who think they know what's best for me. You'll need to find another target for your slings and arrows. I'm sure you will. Enjoy yourselves.

Riverman,
Don't let them steal your spirit. Some people thought the Wright bros. were reckless and dangerous.

Last edited by Ribcracker; 09-21-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add on
Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
hi there are always those who have to try foolish and dangerous stunts. its human nature. lets just hope that no innocent bystanders have to pay for there folly. clear skies and good flying.
hi this will be the last i post on this subject. when i made this comment i did not direct it at any one in general. you choose to take it personallly. and the only bigotry i practice is aganst the ignorant and foolish. lashin out at some one you dont even know proves how child like you are. clear skies and good flying.

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 09-21-2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Riverman
"No common sense"

So...
Assuming that in air launches and fireworks are unacceptable, How about that rocket assisted takeoff?
Still haven't heard any real opinions on the actual technical feasibility of the subject. I'm talking small gauge Estes type hobby rockets. Would it just be a smoke and light show or would there be usable thrust?
Checking the data sheets supplied by Estes these things are only making 1 or 2 oz of thrust at best. I'm not sure how that would really manifest itself in horizontal performance on an aerobird, though.
At any rate, I probably am going to try it soon. I will only do it when all of the conditions are right for a safe attempt.
Cheers
Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 PM
falingtrea

Well I would look at the Estes D12 and E9 motors for starters. They have a couple of pounds of thrust. Also You could check out Aerotech.
http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com

They have E, F, and G motors that you could use.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Get a Hobby Zone plane with the X-port module.

That way you can drop stuff from your plane and have fun doing it.

Quick Reply: Rocket assisted takeoff anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14233 seconds with 13 queries