E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

blade cx2 outer gear change

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
flitemite

Default blade cx2 outer gear change

Very new to this hobby and have crashed into every piece of furniture in the house. My outer gear has lost teeth and need to change it. How do I take the old one out? Looks like the whole assembly needs to be dismounted? Please help this non mechanical wizard.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

There are two gears on the bottom.
To get them out, first remove the landing gear (4 little screws)
then there are two set screws on the first gear--loosen them and the gear will pull off.
This is the gear to the Inner shaft or the upper rotor.

To get the other gear off, you then have to remove the upper rotor--this should just pull out now--and then remove the lower blades and remove the lower rotor hub. This has four screws in it. take out the screws and then pull the hub up off the (outer) shaft. Then loosen the screw on the little collar that is around this shaft just below the swash plate and then you can pull/push the outer shaft down and out. You may want to remove the swash plate to make this easier but you don't have to.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
flitemite

Thank you very much for your help. Will attempt this mechanical change myself and hope I don't create more damage. :0)
Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

The one thing to look out for----if you remove the lower rotor hub, when you put it back on, you have to make sure that the two screws line up with the holes in the shaft. It works easiest if you put the hub on without the screws in it so you can see when it is lined up. And make sure to put it on right side up-----take notes or pictures work good tool.,
Old 01-16-2009, 02:34 PM
flitemite

Thanks for the tip Heli Jim. Won't be working on it until the weekend when time allows. I can see this hobby will have many facets to it. Great site!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 PM
flitemite

I can hardly believe it. I completed the outer gear change. The Blade sounds and spins good, but I can't get it to lift off. I'm sure its just a minor adjustment? When I try to lift off it just falls to the right without leaving the ground. I tried to adjust the trims to no avail. If you can help me on this I'll be greatful and will find a much larger area to try to fly this model. Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

do you have the motors plugged in correctly? In the right spot and the plugs the right way? I THINK that the red wire goes up on the upper plug and down on the lower one. check the direction of rotation to make sure that the rotors are going in the correct direction.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
flitemite

Hello Heli Jim, Yes the motors are plugged in correctly and the blades are counter rotating as they should. Are there any other suggestions?
Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Are you SURE that they are going in the right direction? You should feel air being pushed DOWN.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else. Rotor speed = lift and more speed on one or the other rotors = rotation

Not enough lift----either rotors going the wrong way or not fast enough.

Maybe try a different battery?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 PM
flitemite

Thanx again Heli Jim. Although I'm sure everything is as they should be I will check again the blade rotation, etc. Haven't been able to 'get at it' in the last week. Hopefully I will resolve this week.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 AM
BCRCFlyer

Default Xtreme Outer Shaft Bearing Transfer to new Shaft?

Originally Posted by Heli Jim View Post
There are two gears on the bottom.
To get the other gear off, you then have to remove the upper rotor--this should just pull out now--and then remove the lower blades and remove the lower rotor hub. This has four screws in it. take out the screws and then pull the hub up off the (outer) shaft. Then loosen the screw on the little collar that is around this shaft just below the swash plate and then you can pull/push the outer shaft down and out...
OK, I have a related question: at this exact point -- after removing this outer shaft -- for an "upgraded Xtreme outer shaft", there is a bearing at the bottom of the shaft against the top of the gear. The replacement does not have one, so it makes sense to transfer the bearing from the old to the new.

My problem is I can't see how to leverage this bearing off the old (slightly bent and wobbling) shaft...

There is also and extra "something" like a metal ring on the bottom of the gear. I wonder if that extra ring has something to do with holding the bearing on. I didn't think to try to unscrew it. I didn't want to try to pry off the bearing and break something.

So, in the end I tryed to straighten it -- you can imagine how well that went.

So, I did the best I could and put it all back together. I get about 3-4" off the ground max with a fresh battery. I've put on new motors, just tried a new battery. I did have the lower blade set running with an upper blade set (and had no lift atoll).

My best guess is the inner shaft is rubbing against the inside of the outer shaft enough to slow the blades, but the shaft doesn't get warm, so that could be bunk.

Yes, the set screw is through the hole in the outer shaft, but there was only one, so just the top hole has one. With the lower part of that aluminum upgrade, the lower part of it can't spin free, so I think one is enough. The lower is held on tight with the two p-head screws in tight against the flat spots on the end of the inner shaft -- I can't twist the gear when holding the upper blades.

Only thing I can think is the motors are putting so much energy into the wobble, that there is not enough left to provide lift.

Would a video help? Pictures of the set up?

Temperature and torsion sensors on each shaft and each point at which energy is transferred from motor on up to blades?

I am new too, so any suggestion is helpful. Hopefully not as bluntly foul as my close friends would suggest. Anything above the suggestion of "try pulling your head out first" in other words...

Thanks,

Bruce