General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D Radio Glitches

Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Turbo

Default Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D Radio Glitches

I've flown three different, new, different frequency, Typhoon 2's, and each one has had the same radio glitches. Everything checks fine on the ground, but once in the air, the plane does uncommanded throttle backs, rolls upside down, pitches up, etc.

It only seems to happen when the aircraft is in the air, and can't be duplicated on the ground! Is anyone else having these problems, and are there any solutions other than replacing the radios to something not made by Parkzone?

I have always flown all my other Parkzone models (P-51, Stryker B & C) without any glitches from the same field, so I am at a total loss here.

Kurt
Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

1st thought, check your antenna wire and make sure it's well away from everything else. Reroute it out of the fuselage and tape it to the outside. Run it to the tale or out to the end of the wing. Do a range test with the TX antenna down. Should get I think 5 yards or so with no glitching.(someone correct me if I'm wrong on the range check distance).

Oops...almost forgot to say WELCOME TO WATTFLYER!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Fatcat1

Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
I've flown three different, new, different frequency, Typhoon 2's, and each one has had the same radio glitches. Everything checks fine on the ground, but once in the air, the plane does uncommanded throttle backs, rolls upside down, pitches up, etc.

It only seems to happen when the aircraft is in the air, and can't be duplicated on the ground! Is anyone else having these problems, and are there any solutions other than replacing the radios to something not made by Parkzone?

I have always flown all my other Parkzone models (P-51, Stryker B & C) without any glitches from the same field, so I am at a total loss here.

Kurt
Yep! that is what happened to mine yesterday! now its on its way back to Horizon for repair or replacement!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
rudderfeet

If it helps, this hasn't been a problem with my RxR version and a Spektrum AR6100 receiver. No glitches or lockouts after several flights.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Fatcat1

Originally Posted by rudderfeet View Post
If it helps, this hasn't been a problem with my RxR version and a Spektrum AR6100 receiver. No glitches or lockouts after several flights.
I'll probably get a Spektrum radio in the future. That would solve the glitch issues for sure. Just can't afford one right now (getting ready to build a new home so I am lucky I got this).
Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 AM
BIG4D

Default Any updates?

Hello,
I am new to the forums here. Tons of great information!

I was just wondering if there were any updates to thus thread. Did you get your plane back? Where they nice? Did they fix it or replace it? Was it warrantied?

I was just asking because I have just experienced the SAME problem! Got my Typhoon on Friday, first flight, took off great, then out of control, upside down into the dirt!
Took it home fixed it, rechecked everything. Took it back out to a different spot (thinking interference) and boom! Same thing. Plane is now really beyond repair. Very disappointing! Almost wish I had cone with the Parkflyers Daredevil.

Anyway, any help or insite would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 AM
rudderfeet

Still no issues with a DX6i and AR6100 on mine (not bragging, just hoping to help isolate variables).
Old 07-12-2009, 04:55 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 AM
BIG4D

Louis,

Thank you for the reply. Since this post I have been doing some extensive reading. Sounds like you are right about the radio system. I am sure that was the problem.
When I spoke with the LHS he was very nice and told me that if they Horizon gave me any problems then call him and he would help me out. Very nice guy!

So, I am afraid that if the radios are not good, and I do get the plane replaced, and they send me another exactly like this one, I am going to have the same problems.

If I was to replace the radio system when I get he new plane, which one would you recommend? Mine has the new 30A speed controller. A radio that woudl work with this would be nice.

I have found what you said to be true, nice but firm seems to be very go along way to getting the outcome in your favor.

I have been read several post about how good their customer service is.

Hope to get back in the air quickly.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Louis

Old 07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
BIG4D

Thank you Louis, and everyone, for your input! I will see what I can find on that radio.

I looked at the DX6i, it appears to be made by the same company. It;s too bad they don't put this radio in this plane to begin with. Sounds like a great combination.

I can't wait to get back in the air.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Have seen the same thing on a Trojan T-28 that I got that has a ZX10 Transmittttter/Receiver.

Passes range test with flying colors (antenna collapsed and no problems with motor or control surfaces at 300+ feet) but experience random uncommanded operations. (rolls, pithes, throttle) They tend to be brief lapses of control, lasting only a second or two but would be a disaster if close to the ground.

The problem is that it is intermittent and I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the ground. (I have stopped flying the plane until I get it resolved.)

Possible issues:

1. RF issue with xmitter / receiver (unlikely given range check and the fact that uncommanded operation happens at relatively close range - less than 500')

2. Receiver reset problem (perhaps caused by noise on BEC)

3. ESC Issue - BEC voltage cutting out

4. XMitter problem - (bad battery contact or some other quality issue)

The problem with traditional troubleshooting (replacing one component at a time) is the risk of a crash each time it glitches.

Clint
Old 07-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Louis

Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Clint, are you using any other transmitter like a Futaba or Hitec? If so, just get a receiver and you are good to go. I don't know if anyone will ever be able to resolve the issues with the stock TX / RX.

What is interesting though is your item 3 .... you could put a receiver battery pack in the T-28 and see what happens. It is quite possible that the servos are overdriving the ESC BEC.
I have other transmitters/receivers but I wanted to get to the root of the problem because it appears to be occurring frequently on the ZX10 72 MHZ equipment. (I had good luck with 27 MHZ HobbyZone radio equipment but have not been impressed with their 72 MHZ gear thus far.)
Old 07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
BIG4D

Well, Horizon was very nice. Told me they were 10-15 days out.
Said they would "take a look at it" and would let me know.

I have to say, I AM a little bit leery. I could easily see how they could come back and say "We tested the radio equipment and it is all working properly. We can't warranty this damage if we can't find anything wrong with the radio equipment."

There are numerous reports of these radio systems functioning properly on the ground and passing a good range test, but get them in the air and it's quite different. I just hope they are willing to go good on the warranty.

We'll see what happens. I'll post updates as I get them.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Louis

Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 AM
BIG4D

Yes, that was my thought as well. IF they HAD refused a plane it would be all over these forums! I feel pretty sure that they will replace it.

I have been looking over these radios. Boy have they changed!! When I was younger (25 sum years ago) they were much simpler. There were a few "computerized" radios on the market, but they were VERY extravagant.

I only knew one person in our club, the TORCS that had one. We called him "Doc". I used to look at that radio and think "Wow! That thing is worth a million dollars!". Now, looks like more than 1/2 the radios are like that.

I also remember that if you had 3 planes, you had three TX'rs, if you had 9 planes, you had 9 TX'rs. Now, with the advent of these new computerized gigahertz radios, you can 1 radio for all your planes, and it stores the configuration of each plane in memory! Incredible, what will they think of next!

Still weeding through the mountain of info on radio systems. Still thinking of upgrading when I get the plane back.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Louis

Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 AM
BIG4D

Louis (or anyone else).

Do you know if the receiver that comes with this package is a direct plug-in with the speed control? I know the speed control is programmable but I have yet to delve into that part of it yet.

I am debating weather to just order this new radio system and do away with the radio system the new plane comes with. Just to eliminate any possibility of future failures.

Any input?
Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Louis

Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 PM
BIG4D

Well, i did a ton of reading today. I also called and talked to Horizon Hobby and talked to them for about 30 minutes about the DX6i radio.

After talking to them I went and bought one. When I get the new Typhoon back, the ZX10 radio is coming out and the DX6i is going in.

Can't wait to get it in the air!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:03 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Default ZX 10 /T28 problem

I have been flying my T28 with the ZX-10 Tx it came with for about a month now; got it last December but was working my into it with the Super Cub. When doing a range check before I first flew it noted some intermittent interference and cross talk with some other aircraft at the field I fly at who were using channels 55 and 56. My tx is supposed to be using 54 . Has been difficult to nail down exactly what the problem is but since my system was the new one in the mix would have to say mine is the culprit. My aircraft will also accept interference from their tx at times, but none of this has been on an absolutely reproducable basis, seems to come and go. So far have been OK just by being carefulto watch the frequency board and being careful about who is up and using what fequency. Am planing to switch to 2.4 very shortly, actually in process now. Not sure if my issues could tie into the problems others have discussed in theis thread but would have to think they might.
Should have a ZX-10 set at that point I would be willing to make a good deal on.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 AM
BIG4D

This is an interesting thread. I would like Horizon to read it.
I know the ZX-10 is a 72mhz FM TX/RX set-up.
From my experience as an Amateur Radio Operator, I know know how important the deviation level is in the FM world of voice. To much deviation and you get "spatter" over to the adjacent bands.
I wonder if the radio techs (if there are actually any) at Horizon actually check the transmitters on a scope and check this.
Spatter sounds like what you guys are experiencing. Some call it "bleed over" it's actually over deviation.
Makes me think.........
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Interference I experienced was in the middle of a large field early in the AM with no other models around. (Experienced the same glitching at another field 10 miles away on another morning so I am confident it is not related to anything at the field.)

Clint

Quick Reply: Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D Radio Glitches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13576 seconds with 11 queries