Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hi All, newbie here

Old 05-06-2020, 09:05 AM
soundbyte

Default Hi All, newbie here

Finally retired and thought that I would have fun starting a new hobby. Then this virus happens!

First time flyer but have been reading lots and lots. Not going to ask what beginner plane to get, but I have downloaded it , printed it out and picked up some foam and started.

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-te...-1072/p1194444

The question is should I get the electronics from here, "Flitetest" or better get name brand's. My guess these parts are mostly Chinese as is most of the stuff people use for this hobby.

Another question is, I have been thinking of getting a radio and grow into it, instead of growing out of it, but then there's the learning curve. Anyway something like the DX7 to lean and grow into. Opinions?

thanks
Old 05-06-2020, 01:02 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome to WF.You are correct that you can shop around for plane gear,do some research an match up the KV and other data to the FT gear.Likave a Jumpeer and it e your grow into idea, This hobby can be addictive and you can run out of plane storage in your radio. I have a DX8 and it is an nice radio, also have a Jumper and like it.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:50 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

soundbyte
My own view is that 6 or 7 channels is plenty to be getting on with so nothing wrong with a DX7. By the time you find you really must have 10 channels or more you may well want a different radio anyway. Keep your original to fly something simple on the days when you can't be bothered to risk something bigger and more expensive.
Even just 6 channels can give can give you flaps and retracts which is likely to be several models down the line. First you have to learn how not crash too often.
I have several quite advanced planes that fly using just 3 channels.

Your Simple Cub should be ideal to start with. Robust and simple to fly although it may not feel like it to start with
Don't hold back and ask as many questions as you like and post pictures during your build. Remember the only 'dumb' question is the one you don't ask!
Are you a member of a club? As you get near to the first flight it would help if an experienced flyer could give your plane a 'once over' to make sure there is nothing obviously amiss.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 PM
soundbyte

Thanks guys. not a member of a club, yet. There are several around me, I figure after this pandemic is over I'll start visiting.

Don Sims - what is a jumper? Is that a rcplane? Still new
Old 05-07-2020, 12:14 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Jumper is a brand of radio.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:20 PM
soundbyte

oh ok thanks