Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Hobby Lobby F9F Panther EPO Jet Receiver Ready ARF

Old 03-30-2012, 11:28 PM
ronhollenbeck

Default Hobby Lobby F9F Panther EPO Jet Receiver Ready ARF

A search on this forum for the Hobby Lobby F9F did not show any recent posts. This airplane was available in about 2009 and many people who bought them at that time were burning up the motors. I decided to buy one now and see if that problem still exists.

I only had to supply a receiver and transmitter. Everything else is included in the box. Assembly involved epoxying on the wings, nose and tail, attaching the control horns and installing the aileron pushrods. Everything else was done at the factory. I did find a bow in the canopy assembly. It prevented the hold-down magnets from snapping together. Rather than try to straighten the canopy I just sanded the mating surfaces on the fuselage to match the crooked canopy. The magnets snap together nicely now.

Unlike the midwest, it has been quite windy and cool here in the Pacific Northwest and I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I did fully charge and discharge the battery to see if the motor overheating issue was resolved. I couldn't get a finger in to feel the motor temperature but a smell test revealed nothing that overheated.

I'll give an update after I get a chance to fly it.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f9f_panth...ueryId=3546065
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F9F.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	158611   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9F Wing.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	158612   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9F Canopy Removed.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	158613   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9F Rear.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	158614   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9F Tail.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	158615  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobby Lobby Photo.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	158616  
Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 AM
tarheal63

Not to point you elsewhere, but,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309643

This is where i go for the intelligent answers though...

I really enjoy my panther, pay close attention to the CG though as you will see if you go to that "other place".
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Looks very nice. I've also heard the 64mm Stinger is a nice one in that series. For $75.00 I just got the 50mm Skyangel T-45 Red Arrows version as my first stab into the edf world. Still in the box as I'm traveling until next Thursday. Gave the untested and much talked about Banana Hobby a try this time and my expectations were set low. It shipped and arrived within 3 days so at least we're off to a good start before I even open the box.

Good flying !

Hawk
Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 AM
bbqflyer

Ron, I bought the panther as my 1st edf and loved it. I've had it a little over a year and I am still running the stock motor and esc. As was mentioned pay close attention to the cg. Also if you are planning to use the battery it came with, don't. I stepped up to an 1800mah 3s 30c. Better speed and it seemed to balance better.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 AM
ronhollenbeck

Thanks for the advice on the CG. I'll check it more thoroughly before I fly it. I'll try the stock battery first but plan to upgrade to these. I've heard bad things about Zippys but these are the right dimensions.

bbq which 1800s did you use? many of them are thicker than the stock battery and may require battery tray mods.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM
bbqflyer

I use the sky lipos unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. But I like these because they are about the same dimensions as well only slightly longer, but I've had to make NO adjustments or mods to get them to fit.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
Not to point you elsewhere, but,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309643

This is where i go for the intelligent answers though...

I really enjoy my panther, pay close attention to the CG though as you will see if you go to that "other place".

You get a lot of smart ones from some of those guys over there at the RCG EDF forums too though.

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM
tarheal63

Just trying to bolster my standing here..... I have nothing against RCG. They actually have helped me alot. Sometimes it is hard to get an answer on a simple question though, I feel that Wattflyer is more of a tighter knit community though. Alot of people here have been communicating with each other for many years. Kind of like a small town compared to the big city. I am a small town person.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 AM
ronhollenbeck

Finally had a nice day yesterday and was able to do the maiden flight. Plane was stock including battery. This was my first time flying an EDF. Launch went fine. I grabbed it around the fuselage in front of the wings and gave it a toss with nearly full power. I was quite nervous but it climbed out fine. I gave it a few clicks of down trim to keep it from climbing too much. It probably could use a little down aileron mix with full power. Rolls were not quite axial but weren't too bad. I noticed when I entered a steep climb and let it slow down the elevator became ineffective. Even if I gave full down elevator it would flip over in a loop. Recovery was easy but I wasn't use to that. I set the timer for 4 min and landed at about 4.5 min. Batt voltage was about 11.23 so that seems about right. It landed quite fast, I'll probably increase the elevator throws to see if it will slow down more. Now I'm ready to follow the suggestions and order a larger battery to see if performance improves.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F9F.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	158847  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 AM
bbqflyer

Ron, glad to hear it went well. It really is a great flyer, the turns do take a little getting use to as it has no rudder. Their F86 doesn't either and it's even more noticeable but they are both still a blast to fly. The panther does land fast and is hard to slow down, but once it does it responds very poor to controls which you noticed already. Jets are a lot different they need speed to fly. Any ways, enjoy it as I'm sure it will not be long til you by your next edf and then another...
Sorry 1 question are you flying yours with or without landing gear?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 AM
ronhollenbeck

Originally Posted by bbqflyer View Post
Sorry 1 question are you flying yours with or without landing gear?
Without landing gear
Old 04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

I now have 7 flights in with this jet. Cutting to the chase, it is a keeper! ... Even if it is a foam ARF!

I fly it without the gear and did not experience any CG programs with the plane. Just put the battery in the nose, it balanced per the manual. It has plenty of power at 5200 ASL which I was very surprised at. The first toss was up and away. No 'dip' and then 'come on, come on, get on step..."... Nope, Just up and away! . Only trim I had to do was a bit of down. Have since rolled it, looped it, split-s, and did most other rudderless maneuvers no problem. Stable as a rock. Almost trainer like in my mind.... almost .... Not blazing fast (full rate rolls are fast), but just right as far as I am concerned. Didn't find I needed any expo. Just a nice flying jet. Can throttle back for nice slow fly bys too. Landings are a piece of cake. Come in low, flare, and plop, slide...... Doesn't get much better. Today, I tried out two new batteries, so got in 3 flights!!!! Battery time is 'decent' for DF of about 4-5 minutes with the 1600s. About right for me. Come along way from the NiCad days!!!!

I fly off a dirt field. This plane is nice for that as the wing is high, so it skids on belly, not the wings or servos. Tips protected by plastic. Nice!

Anyway, what can I say. They got the power system right for this bird. It flies great. Looks super in the air and color scheme is easy to see. Oh, I see no need to go to high rates on the elevator as it loops and such just fine on low. I've got my 'SA Groove' and other acrobatic planes for making me dizzy . This plane is just reserved for standard stuff and looking good .
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 AM
ronhollenbeck

Clark, Glad you're having fun with your EDF. I still have only 1 flight. I'll do several more before making any changes. My elevator throw is pretty close to what the manual recommended. Loops were fine and I could go full up without stalling, it would just mush along at part throttle. I never did do a complete power on stall. I'll probably put it in the car trunk and try another flight on the way home from work next week.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
startazz

I'm glad you boys have this thread about the Lander F9F EDF Jet as i've got one coming from Hobbyking,it was that cheap i couldn't resist getting one plus i also ordered the Lander alloy 68mm EDF unit with a 3580KV motor = 1000 watts on a 4s set up.

I'm not sure what set up you are all using but i'm hoping my Nano-Techs
3300mah 35/70C 4s batteries will fit in there and that the CoG should still be good,as i know they do a 4s version so i should be good to go.

I'll come back to let you know how i get on,when i last checked my parcel was just about to leave HongKong so i should have it buy early next week at the latest.

I'll leave a link to my plane and the EDF unit i'm going to use,i'll have a spare alloy EDF unit which comes with the stock F9F Panther from HK,so i'm hoping to fit that into my Phase3 F16 at some point but thats another build.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...70kv_ARF_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1000watt.html
Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 PM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

Hobby-Lobby F9F is smaller than the Hobby-King one. Different jets!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
spad

Not to mention different retail sellers with different ethics!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Prof100

The HL epo version with top loading battery is made by Freewing. They also make a F86 and a Mig. The original 64 mm came from Starmax. First version was a crispy critter inrunner and HL sold it. BH, which has lousy service, specified and had built a 4300 kv outrunner and a marginal 25 ESC version. The Starmax has a clumsy bottom loading battery. With a 40 amp ESC upgrade it is safe to fly. It flies great. Although, the slightly smaller Freewing version flies equally as well. The Starmax has full internal ductwork and is a little faster. That said, both are great flyers.

Below is the grey BH Starmax version.

Last edited by Prof100; 05-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.