Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Trouble with initial calibration of an Avian 60 amp esc

Old 01-23-2021, 01:58 PM
jb48

Default Trouble with initial calibration of an Avian 60 amp esc

Hi everyone. It's the second day I desperately try to initializing my brand new Avian 60 amp esc. I followed all the instructions, double checking them. When I connect the battery to the esc, throttle at full position before connecting, all I get from the esc is a rapid ascending tones, not followed by the confirming bip bip, but only by single short bip about every second for as long as the esc is connected to the battery. Motor (brand new Power 32) will not run but all control servos respond very well to tx inputs. I am lost! If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:11 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Not familiar with that brand but most ESC's should be throttle down when plugging in. Throttle up usually puts them in programming mode which it sounds like what is happening.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:39 PM
jb48

Thanks firemanbill, but the instructions from Spektrum (Avian esc) clearly specify that the throttle must be in full position before connecting to the battery for initial calibration and also for programming.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:06 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I would try calling Spektrum support and let them listen by phone to the sounds.
They should be able to explain what is happening.
Sorry but the customer service is real hard to get through to because of the effects of the Covid, but if you keep trying you will get help.

I hate trying to program an ESC by the radio sticks, I buy the programming device for my ESCs if one is made.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2021, 07:54 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by jb48 View Post
... all I get from the esc is a rapid ascending tones, not followed by the confirming bip bip, but only by single short bip about every second ...
The controller is trying to tell you something in beep/morse code, using the motor as a poor loudspeaker.
Look up or google (make/type manual/instructions beep code) the code, several codes.

In case you have a Futaba transmitter, Futaba's need to have their throttle channel reversed.

The controller is using the motor as a poor and cheap loudspeaker, no buzzer/speaker needed. In a loudspeaker a coil moves in/because of changes in magnetic field, same for motor. In a motor magnets move because of changes in magnetic field.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:06 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by jb48 View Post
Thanks firemanbill, but the instructions from Spektrum (Avian esc) clearly specify that the throttle must be in full position before connecting to the battery for initial calibration and also for programming.
Ah, I misread your post at first sorry. As Ron said those beeps are programming messages. It should have some sort of sheet that tells you what to do once in programming mode. If not make that call.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:30 AM
jb48

My transmitter is a Spektrum DX6e. I have the manual that comes with the esc. I will check for an external programming device or write to Spektrum Assistance. I don't want to try calling by phone as my English speaking is quite laborious, albeit I can read and write it not so bad. In last resort, I will buy another 60 amp esc, but not an Avian one anymore.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:57 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Good luck! Hope it works out for you. It can be very frustrating when things don't work like they should.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:27 PM
jb48

I wrote to Horizon Hobby/Spektrum for the problem. The day after sending the e-mail, I received a note saying that I will be answered soon. No answer yet (1 week later). We will see!
Old 02-01-2021, 10:32 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Bummer, they used to be so good at answering right away.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:42 PM
jb48

Updates to the esc problem:
1- I received an email from Horizon Hobby telling me to check carefully the Avian programming on Utube: I did it many times before writing to HH.
2- Just to be sure it was not a motor fault, I connected it (whitout propeller!) to my electric converted Alpha 40 and the new motor worked no problem.
3- I tried a different receiver and BINGO the esc worked as well as the motor, all the flying controls and the Eagle A3-L gyro at the very beginning.
4- I concluded that the Avian 60 amp esc doesn't work with an Orange receiver at all or at least when coupled to the gyro stabilization system. By the way the replacement rx is a Spektrum AR 410.
Friendly salutations to al of you,

jb48