Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Kyosho Pitts S2 46 size

Old 08-05-2020, 12:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Kyosho Pitts S2 46 size

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 4000x3000.

I have the Kyosho Pitts S2 46 size with Irvine 51 Redhead in it ... the original Brit engine.

The engine is to put it bluntly - a PoS ... it never runs consistent - typical of Irvine !! Get a good one - BRILLIANT ... get a middle or bad one .. AWFUL.

It has long been my wish to convert to E-Power .. not because I dislike Glow - far from it - I love Glow power, but to cure this model of its power cut outs .. (I have thought to swap out for one of my trusty ASP 61' s ... ).

But the design is such that battery access is needed and to cut the fuselage would IMHO compromise its structural integrity ..

HELP !! How to convert and what power plant ? I imagine a 4S or 5S with about 4250 or more motor on about 500 - 700kv

I have a 5050 450kv which on 5S could do it .. but again the battery ??

Would it be sensible way to install LiFePo as a permanent and just connect to charge ?? My only thought bthen is time to recharge between flights.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:05 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Ok .. while checking her for possible dragging to flight line on Saturday .. I took off wings and checked installation ... once I turned her over ... I realised that it may be possible to use the exhaust area to carry a LiPo ...

The cowl had been cut extensively here because air flow was extremely poor and engine suffered ...
With careful decision of what motor / Lipo combo .. it may just work there.

So guys and gals .............. what to put in ... try the 5050 and a 4S / 5S or what ?

At present she has a 10oz tank up against firewall .. a 4 cell 2200 NiMh pack behind the tank and rest of gear is placed about centre of bottom wing.

Her AUW to fly is 2.8kgs on a 1160mm span