Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Purchasing a Hawksky

Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 AM
pawankt
Newbie:)

Default Purchasing a Hawksky

So I have managed to save up a little money and I have thought to start with a Hawksky. I have asked around and it isn't too bad a plane to start with. The only place I see that sells it is nitroplanes.com and they don't have good reviews.

Does anyone have a better website or a source from where I could purchase it? Second, is there a way to disable ailerons until Im ready for it? I could learn with ailerons but I figure it's easier without
Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 AM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

I haven't had any problems buying from nitroplanes. Have bought a few planes from them. As for the ailerons, you can unplug the servos and fix the ailerons in place. As for another place to purchase, you can get a multiplex easystar from headsuprc.com which I believe is basically the same plane
Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Smile

The one I have/had did not come with the rudder setup, they said you could upgrade it, not sure they have yet or you can do it yourself! As far as the plane flying ability they are great, alittle fast for a beginner IMHO. I had a friend who I suggested he get a 3 channel (rudder/Elevator) he purchased this bird and had two very short flights/crashes, he no longer flys due to it,.....sad but true. The easy flight characteristics of tail feathers only and Dihedral in the wing makes a great trainer.

Heres a flight @ MYR (Myrtle Beach, SC) with the HawkSky.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FLYINGbR.../1/EUQvB6L34TI
Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by HeliScRapYard View Post
I haven't had any problems buying from nitroplanes. Have bought a few planes from them. As for the ailerons, you can unplug the servos and fix the ailerons in place. As for another place to purchase, you can get a multiplex easystar from headsuprc.com which I believe is basically the same plane
I would not recommend disabling the ailerons, as the rudder on the Hawk Sky is a little on the small side. Just use the ailerons to turn. The roll rate is very slow, so unless you bang the sticks all over the place, you shouldn't have any problems rolling out of control with the ailerons.

But as I've said before, put loctite on the nuts for the servo horns or they will come loose.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by HeliScRapYard View Post
As for another place to purchase, you can get a multiplex easystar from headsuprc.com which I believe is basically the same plane

Basically the same, to the untrained eye. Trust me, they fly dramatically different. The EZ* is a superior plane to fly.

Sorry for the off topic...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
thomdoe

take a look http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=5dQDWAwRCGc
Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Default Great Bird

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Basically the same, to the untrained eye. Trust me, they fly dramatically different. The EZ* is a superior plane to fly.

Sorry for the off topic...
Loved the HS plane myself, she lives in other aircraft now,......to fly again!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 PM
thomdoe

My one good eye is "untrained" so they all seem the same
Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Sorry if I sounded like I was dissing the Hawk Sky... it has its place. With Ailerons it has a more advanced control, but not as forgiving as the EZ*.

My comment was biased toward the newbie flying the plane. The flying style and performance of the EZ* is real beneficial to beginners, it basically lands itself among other new pilot friendly traits.

I have maidened many of both. I have trained a few pilots on both planes. The EZ Star pilots seem to get it sooner, and graduate to other planes where the Hawk seemed more for the kids as a toy (could be pure coincidence). I see more 'old' EZ*'s than old Hawk Sky's at the field, thats an indicator of it surviving longer.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 PM
pawankt
Newbie:)

Okay, how about this then?

http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/b...age=1#comments

There are alternatives, from all the forums I glance by, it seems like the controller tx/rx you get with the RTFs are not as awesome as those you can buy on your own. Keeping money and the complete lack of practical skill in mind, do you recommend a alternative to the HS? and then buy my own stuff and ask a hobby store person to help me, or should I just go with the whole HS thing?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:21 PM
eagle33

I found two places that sell the Hawk Sky: Nitroplanes and Grayson Hobby. Two of my three planes came from Nitroplanes and, in both cases, the service was excellent. My first plane was the Hawk Sky and the second, an Airfield 55" Sky Trainer. I recently purchased some replacemet parts for the Sky Trainer and received them in about 10 days from Nitroplanes. IMO great service again.

Back to the Hawk Sky. I learned on this plane along with a simulator but no other help. I have yet to crash since the plane is so forgiving. In the heat of the summer, you can find a thermal, cut power and you have an excellent sailplane.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:45 PM
chadwy

I have a sky trainer too with the flaps but have not flew it yet.. I am new to rc flying and the local hobby guys said to get me a super cub lp.. I got the bind-n-fly with a dx6i and taught my self to fly... Love it lots of hard big crashes and only $5 to repair it