Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

Cheapo foamie to go fishing ...

Old 12-01-2019, 09:44 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Cheapo foamie to go fishing ...

I have been toying with idea to go fishing off the beach using my Phantom 3 Drone ... but am not willing after thinking about it - to risk the model.

It would have had a simple pin arrangement that a loop would slip over ... fly out ... turn 180 and it slips off ... tackle drops into the sea.

Then I thought - why cannot a simple profile fixed wing job do it ? Hand launched with a Glider Release fitted ... so fly out ... hit the switch and bingo tackle drops away ... fly back and land on the beach. Of course it would have to be a tractor prop to avoid the line.

Anyone any ideas ... ??
Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Weight of the terminal tackle shouldn't be a problem but what it the drag on that line? It would be hard to keep the line from dragging in the water. What about an RC boat?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Yep, RC fishing boats are made for the job but not cheap. Some here but there are dozens. Ideal for where you live Lionel.
http://rcboatguide.com/rc-fishing-boat/

https://www.rcfishingworld.com/Radio-Ranger.htm

Good video.

Fish don't seem to worry that the line is only a couple of meters long. Must be attracted to the buzzing noise?

The Radio Ranger is Ready to Run right out of the box, just charge the battery and Go Fishing! There's never been more fun fishing than being able to use a remote control boat and going fishing at the same time.
The Radio Ranger is not like the novelty "toy" boats that catch only little fish, The Radio Ranger with the RC Fishing Pole is designed so you can catch big fish too! Put the 34" Radio Ranger in the water, and go fishing the new way, rc fishing! Fish Fun Co. remote control boats are for real fishing. Catch small Pan fish, Bass, and big fish like Pike! The Radio Ranger is the biggest rc fishin' boat around! The Radio Ranger comes with complete, illustrated, easy to understand fishing instructions, and everything to get started rc fishing. For small fish attach your line to "The RC Fishing Pole", (included) , and the boat pulls em. For big fish attach the line from your fishing rod. Instead of casting, you drive your line out, when a fish hits, the line disconnects, and you reel em in! Hours of exciting remote control fishing fun at the lake, or on the pond!

Last edited by Panther; 12-03-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:41 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have thought of converting my Bat Boat for use on the river ... but it has an outrigger prop ... RC Fishing boat are ideally jet boats ...

The idea I posted for though ... is off the beach and then you have breaking waves etc. - which means an RC Boat is not suited. It needs an airborne system.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I have towed a 100 foot tubular kite tail with my 48" HK EPP plane, maybe a 600 watt motor.
It flew a little slower but not enough to matter. I had to be careful not to make too tight of loop.

I don't think the drag of the fishing line will be a problem, unless the reel jams. That could make things interesting.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

We have streamers of our small to medium size foamies when we do shows ... some in fact have 2 or 3 streamers of their model. They seem to fly fine ...

The only difference here I see is that there will be a 200 - 300gr tackle hanging of the bottom of the model and a free running line from the reel. The tackle of course would need to be hung at CoG to avoid destroying models pitch character.

I feel sure a Hummer would do it fine ??