Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

My VTOL Quest

Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM
pcm10xmode

Default My VTOL Quest

After seeing Vaalleon split thrust vector system, it's now time I release my 4th attempt to simply the system for a VTOL.

I first started off by going to NASA Langley video and ran across this one. Essentially, a vane system within a ducting(vertical) system close to the ground doesn't have ground effect with the exhaust. It is very stable!!!!!!!

So, enter my "Alleycat" (Chellie, this is my favorite plane for experimental use, except it doesn't look as good as yours), 64mm EDF, an exhaust duct, parts from mufflers, "Competitor flybar blades" and servos.

I built a system where blade control(aileron, elevator and rudder) are totally inside. I designed the system so that the flybar blades can be reversed and hang out of the ducting.

First, I need to see if forward flight is possible without surface controls was possible on the Alleycat. So taped surfaces it and tried it. Then reversed the flybar setup and see what the difference in control. I really didn't want the flybar blades outside to prevent damage. But, as you can guess, the controls did work internal, but much better when protruding.
Here is the video with the blades sticking out. Had all three axis working and it flew good until "dumb thumbs" came in. I cut the power (yeah, no surface controls so how is it going to fly). See the result.

Now, I know that forward flight is possible, now have to play around with vert and transitional. I have a number of ideas to use, so until the snow is gone, I wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVx4iuKEqSg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EDF internal controls 004.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	179936   Click image for larger version

Name:	EDF internal controls 003.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	948.3 KB
ID:	179937  

Last edited by pcm10xmode; 03-24-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 PM
pcm10xmode

Default VTOL continued

This is the total package. As time went by, have come up with some ways to loose some weight and simplify the process.

I have a different motor (more kv, same 3s), a 70 mm 4s in the wings to adapt in need more thrust and rather a kk2 board, just going to use a Guardian in 3d mode and going to redesign tail so it sits straight up.

Looking at the split thrust vector system, I wonder what a plane could do with that? A lot of discombobulation airflow, would it give descent 3 axis flow?

Nigel, this is for you. I have another version "single motor" that is on training wheels to try if this ends up a failure. Heck, my transport with the adjustable wing is a blast to fly, maybe I can do something with the EDF if it is a failure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vtol 001.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	884.9 KB
ID:	179934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vtol 002.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	866.9 KB
ID:	179935