Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

How Do I Mount My Outrunner Motor ?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Thanks guys..
I went and test flew it this morning and it proved itself airworthy. Ran 3 batteries through it with several perfect landings. I'm telling you, that Aerofly professional installed on my lap top and Real Flight G4.5 installed on my PC came in real handy and a must for all beginning RC hobbyist. Made my first flights although nerve recking, much more safe for me, my airplanes and property.

I recommend every new flyer get an RC simulator weather it be the free software, which is not very pretty in the graphycs or the much more expensive kind like Aero Fly pro or Real Flight..

This morning flight went out with out a hitch or crash. I flew some what comfortably even though at times my right hand controlling thumb and forefinger would twitch.

I did experienced some interference while in the air at around 60 feet up. My rc plane would twitch left and right and I knew it must have been an actuation of a garage door opening some where near by.

Thanks guys for you all's help..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor mount installed.jpg
Views:	3684
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	109603  
Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by Cdr. Instigator View Post
Thanks guys..
I went and test flew it this morning and it proved itself airworthy. Ran 3 batteries through it with several perfect landings. I'm telling you, that Aerofly professional installed on my lap top and Real Flight G4.5 installed on my PC came in real handy and a must for all beginning RC hobbyist. Made my first flights although nerve recking, much more safe for me, my airplanes and property.

I recommend every new flyer get an RC simulator weather it be the free software, which is not very pretty in the graphycs or the much more expensive kind like Aero Fly pro or Real Flight..

This morning flight went out with out a hitch or crash. I flew some what comfortably even though at times my right hand controlling thumb and forefinger would twitch.

I did experienced some interference while in the air at around 60 feet up. My rc plane would twitch left and right and I knew it must have been an actuation of a garage door opening some where near by.

Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you, guess you got the bug now!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks guys..

Anytime Cdr. Thats What we all Live For, RC Take care, Chellie
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Here is a mount I made for my Turnigy Motors. The X-mounts are all the same, and this one allows me to switch them out in a matter of a couple minutes. Thrust angles can also easily be adjusted. The idea is not mine, I got it from Robjinhouston but thought I would post it here for reference.

The middle hole in the ply (1/8 inch I think) was ground out with a Dremel. The screws are 3mm x 20mm with a couple washers on the motor side of the screws to strengthen it up a bit. The 3mm is a
perfect fit in the Turnigy x-mounts and rock-solid. Sometimes I grind out a channel for the motor wires as well with the Dremel. The disc will be hot glued to the balsa fuse on my new Turbo Stick. Took me all of five minutes to make.
I get these ply discs already shaped like that at the local craft store for about 40Cents.

Name:	Multi-Mount 1.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	109757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multi-Mount 2.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	109758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multi-Mount 3.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	109759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multi-Mount 4.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	109760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multi-Mount 5.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	109761  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Multi-Mount 6.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	109762  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Numbthumbs View Post
Here is a mount I made for my Turnigy Motors. The X-mounts are all the same, and this one allows me to switch them out in a matter of a couple minutes. Thrust angles can also easily be adjusted. The idea is not mine, I got it from Robjinhouston but thought I would post it here for reference.

The middle hole in the ply (1/8 inch I think) was ground out with a Dremel. The screws are 3mm x 20mm with a couple washers on the motor side of the screws to strengthen it up a bit. The 3mm is a
perfect fit in the Turnigy x-mounts and rock-solid. Sometimes I grind out a channel for the motor wires as well with the Dremel. The disc will be hot glued to the balsa fuse on my new Turbo Stick. Took me all of five minutes to make.
I get these ply discs already shaped like that at the local craft store for about 40Cents.
Gee, Only 40 cents for a motor mount, Thats Cheating LOL nice motor mount, with the larger motors, hot glue is a little weak, might want to start using epoxy now, hot glue is ok for the smaller bell motors, but now you have e power motors, that are delivering up to 1 HP. hope that helps, Chellie
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

hehe, it is cheaper to make the disc out of ply from the LHW store if you have power tools, but I don't have them (yet) so I cheat lol.
Hot glue has worked on those motors so far really well, but I will try epoxy next time. My Depron foamies rarely last long enough to warrant a long-lasting mount anyway hehe.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

another motor mount thats neet.

Name:	0000011111.jpg
Views:	7271
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	109864  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 09-24-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
another motor mount thats neet.

Hi Chellie, I think you forgot to upload it
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM
d22av

Default wow this is great

I am currently working on my first scratch build foamie and have just received my motors for it from heads up rc.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50259

Now I started thinking about possible ways to mount to my fuse. I have gotten a few very good ideas from all the posts and pictures here. Thanks a lot CHELLIE and everyone else.

If you don't mind taking the time, what type would you recommend?

Thanks a lot,

D22av
Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by d22av View Post
I am currently working on my first scratch build foamie and have just received my motors for it from heads up rc.

Now I started thinking about possible ways to mount to my fuse. I have gotten a few very good ideas from all the posts and pictures here. Thanks a lot CHELLIE and everyone else.

If you don't mind taking the time, what type would you recommend?

Thanks a lot,

D22av
Hi D22av nice scratch build twin mustang use a wood motor mount like this, and secure it to the sides of the fuse, because those are powerful motors you are using, make the wood side braces about 3" long going into the fuse sides. also make some extra holes in it so air will pass through it, to cool the eletronics. have a hole, port at the rear of the plane or behind the wing as a hot air exit port. if there is a film on the foam, take it off, Take It All Off where you epoxy the wood at to the fuselage, also use some SQ CF tube to brace the main wing, or it will bend and snan Off, in the middle will be fine from wing tip to wing tip, cut a tight slot, and epoxy it in, sand the cf so its rough for better sticking to the epoxy, 180 grit sand paper will work fine, dont breath the CF Dust, its bad stuff, wet and dry sand paper will be better, and use a water hose while sanding, set your CG at 25% back from the leading edge, to start with, thats a very safe place to start at, use a reverse prop on one of the motors, so you counter the torque, have the motors spin opposite one another, looking at the front of the plane to the rear have the left motor spin clockwise, and the right motor spin counter clockwise, juse reverse any 2 of the 3 wires at the motor to change rotation, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.gravesrc.com/MILLENIUM_RC...mrcss-fuse.htm

Cdr Did a nice job on his Wood reinforced foamy fuselage motor mounts, here is a good idea of how to do it.

Last edited by CHELLIE; 09-24-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Thank you CHELLIE...

I feel like for the first time I have contributed something to this site..

Last edited by Cdr. Instigator; 09-24-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Edited some pictures
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM
d22av

Default My Mount - on my F-82

This is the mount i made for the f-82 twin mustang I'm working on.

Here's the build thread--

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	550.6 KB
ID:	110204   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	533.7 KB
ID:	110205   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	110206  
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thank you CHELLIE...

I feel like for the first time I have contributed something to this site..
You Contribute to this Site just by being here and i have a feeling that you will continue to be a big contributor as time goes by Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 10-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Scored this one today from the LHS. No brand, but just a small plastic bag. Owner said he can get more. Similar to the E-Flight one I was looking for. You can mount the motor either way unlike the E-Flight. I like this way because it minimizes the front-to-back distance.

One thing I initially didn't like was only 2 mounting screws. While 4 is kinda overkill for this small motor. Having only 2 would be ok, but it's a slot and not a hole. After mounting it seems very secure since it comes with heavy, hardware store type allan screws instead of the typical lightweight type. Plus it has lock washers. I don't think it will be a problem.

I still like the E-Flight because where the stick mounts is the least offset from the motor.

Edit: Mount no longer made

Name:	AluminumStickMount.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	110270   Click image for larger version

Name:	AluminumStickMount2.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	110276  

Last edited by Octavius; 01-03-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Busconv

Have just received two of the C20 motors from Hobby City and cannot remove the mounting plate at rear, I loosened the set screw, removed the "c clip" but unable to get the plate off...would appreciate any suggestions. Really enjoyed reading thru this thread and special thanks to Chellie for all that I have learned, but nothing on this type of outrunner mount.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Chellie, or as I like to say it in my head, Chili is the woman.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Busconv View Post
Have just received two of the C20 motors from Hobby City and cannot remove the mounting plate at rear, I loosened the set screw, removed the "c clip" but unable to get the plate off...would appreciate any suggestions. Really enjoyed reading thru this thread and special thanks to Chellie for all that I have learned, but nothing on this type of outrunner mount.
Hi Busconv And Welcome to Wattflyers, on some of the bell motors, the MFG. uses some CA glue on the radial mount, because the motors sometimes turn in the radial mount, you can use a Cig lighter to heat the mount a little, and that should soften the super glue to remove the mount, use some super glue or epoxy when changing to a different mount, to prevent the motor from slipping and breaking the motor wires, also, use a little epoxy to glue the wires coming out of the motor to the windings, that helps the motor wires from vibrating and breaking flush with the windings, and helps to make these bell motors last a long time, being careful not to get any epoxy on the magnets, i use some masking tape to seal off the bell and magnets when epoxing the motor wires, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
Chellie, or as I like to say it in my head, Chili is the woman.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
Scored this one today from the LHS. No brand, but just a small plastic bag. Owner said he can get more. Similar to the E-Flight one I was looking for. You can mount the motor either way unlike the E-Flight. I like this way because it minimizes the front-to-back distance.

One thing I initially didn't like was only 2 mounting screws. While 4 is kinda overkill for this small motor. Having only 2 would be ok, but it's a slot and not a hole. After mounting it seems very secure since it comes with heavy, hardware store type allan screws instead of the typical lightweight type. Plus it has lock washers. I don't think it will be a problem.

I still like the E-Flight because where the stick mounts is the least offset from the motor.
Good find those mounts should work great for you, I like the E Flite mounts too, but they seem to be sold out at this time, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

This is a 10g motor but I think it's still considered an outrunning. This works with a 24g motor too. Pictures should explain themselves.

Name:	gluemount1.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	112832   Click image for larger version

Name:	gluemount2.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	112833  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:43 AM
netjunky

hi

i have to put washers behind the motor mount for -2 degrees down thrust in my Polaris seaplane .....do i put the washers on the top of the motor mounts or the bottom

the motor is in front of the firewall
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Its quick & easy to use blind nuts & nylon tubes to mount a Turnigy.

Name:	sigmount.jpg
Views:	1916
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	114344   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIG-Seniorita.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	114345  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post

That looks Sweet Bear thank you for adding to the Thread, Happy Holidays to You and Yours, Chellie
Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 AM
netjunky

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post

i have it mounted i just need to know weather to put the washer on the top or the bottom for -2 degrees down thrust
Old 11-29-2009, 03:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by netjunky View Post
i have it mounted i just need to know weather to put the washer on the top or the bottom for -2 degrees down thrust
Hi, for down thrust, add the washers on the top, that will angle the motor down, Take care and Happy Holidays to You, Chellie

Quick Reply: How Do I Mount My Outrunner Motor ?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12317 seconds with 27 queries