Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

What's this mean

Old 11-19-2018, 12:53 AM
Jack_Hammer
Veteran USAF

Default What's this mean

I bought a cheaper esc this time around and I'm curious about a couple of things.

What does W V U markings mean

and what's with the coil (magnet?) I know it's to prevent some kind of interference but outside of that I'm clueless. I'm certain that I don't need it.

Lots of long wires here too, I'm definitely going to have to shorten em for space saving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PicsArt_11-18-06.40.30.jpg (581.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:44 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

The WVU could be something HobbyKing did to their ESCs that may correspond to the correct connections on their motors, but I don't know for sure. No need to worry about it, plug the 3 motors wires to it, and if it runs backwards then just swap any two wires with each other and it will then be correct.

That ring is to help reduce signal noise from the wiring. Leave it on.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:15 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Servo and motor wires can be any length within reason you like - but not good idea to muck about with power in leads.

The WVU is meaningless ... ignore.

The Ferrite ring is not magnetic ... it is to absorb any interference generated by any wiring around it ... to be honest - because I fly a lot of light models - I often remove it to stop it banging about ... never had any problems from doing that.
BUT it is recc'd especially on higher power setups to leave it in place.

Nigel
Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Jack_Hammer
Veteran USAF

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Servo and motor wires can be any length within reason you like - but not good idea to muck about with power in leads.

The WVU is meaningless ... ignore.

The Ferrite ring is not magnetic ... it is to absorb any interference generated by any wiring around it ... to be honest - because I fly a lot of light models - I often remove it to stop it banging about ... never had any problems from doing that.
BUT it is recc'd especially on higher power setups to leave it in place.

Nigel
Yeah, I've never had issues without the ring before. It's probably there for higher powered or systems with lots of channels, fpv gear etc. I'm only using the esc in a 4 channel wing so I'm not to concerned about the lack of the ring.
As far as shortening the leads, the servo leads and battery lengths will remain. The data/Power lead to the receiver...... That's just about 3 inches too long, but I'm going to play with folding it up with a small zip tie. I'm not concerned about the ferrite ring flopping around on this build, it won't. I don't want the hassle of having to solder em if I can avoid it.

The motor leads are super long. The motor is mounted 2 inches away max and space is not a premium there. We have about 5 inches of unwarranted wires. That will be where the primary work needs to be done.

The plane hasn't arrived just yet. It's a Superfly from http://Superflyrc.com. . I've had several before. They're fine on their own, but they can look sloppy with too much wire about. Plus the souped up motor I've got for it has some ridiculously long leads too. I'm just planning the build steps and places that need mild tweaking right now. Just fine tuning the organization of the build is all.

Thanks for the input guys, it helps knowing what some of these bells and whistles are.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The only wires that should not be altered (technically) are the battery to ESC power combination. Many of us do - but we keep the change to as little as possible. I believe that shortening is not a problem - but lengthening is.

Nigel
Old 11-19-2018, 03:04 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

WVU = West Virginia University Mountaineers!

Meaningless on that ESC though :-)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by Jack_Hammer View Post
... What's this mean ...
More info in title will give you more readers/answers/info, and makes it easier to search.

... What does W V U markings mean ...
Like the colours they only serve as identification for phases/terminals
Used in professiol three-phase systems.
Induction_motor#Construction (wikipedia)

... Lots of long wires here too, I'm definitely going to have to shorten em for space saving.
Motor wires have insulation lacquer/resin on them.

Keep controller(s) close to battery, extend motor wires.
Keep the battery wires short, or else install extra capacitors.

Too long battery wires can kill ESC: precautions, solutions & workarounds - RCG
Contents
  • Example four costly controllers consecutively cremated
  • Solutions I & II, rules of thumb
  • Problem
  • Capacitor type & polarity (orientation!)
  • How & where (not) to add extra capacitors
  • DIY capacitor pack pictures
  • Capacitor & pack suppliers
  • Expert/manufacturer opinions, they all say the same ... & their rules of thumb
  • Explanation, water hammer/knock analogy, theory, references, measurements
Old 11-19-2018, 03:26 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
... Like the colours they only serve as identification for phases/terminals ...
[b]The motor/ESC wires are equivalent, but not identical. They carry the same power signal albeit with a 120degree phase ('time') difference.

You can connect them anyway you want. If motor runs in the wrong direction, just swap any two of the three motorwires. NEVER EVER swap battery wires, reverse batery polarity will ruin you controller, bigly, in the blink of an eye
Different colours for motorwire are handy for remembering theESC→ motor connections. The three motorwires are equivalent. But not quite the same, they carry the same signals, albeit with a 120 phase ('time') difference.

See also these
brushless motor animations and simulations - RCG

Power signals at full throttle, no chopping up voltage in pieces.

Power signals at partial throttle, PWM chopping ('grass') to reduce effective voltage.

Scope traces from www.aerodesign.de/peter, DIY brushless motor building (english&german)