Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

2nd plane suggestion, lots of time on simulator

Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 PM
91bird

Default 2nd plane suggestion, lots of time on simulator

I have an older Supercub with the FM 3-channel radio. I spent a lot of time on the simulator before flying it and had a perfect landing the first time I flew it.

That was 8 years ago. I've since started flying again this past month as I now have 5 acres of private land to fly on.

I flew the Supercub in 10mph winds with gusts to 20mph a couple weeks ago with success. A few times the plane was going backwards at full throttle, Lol. I did change the battery to Lipo and changed the prop to match.

I'm bored. Need a new plane to keep growing. I have FSOne and also Phoenix 5.5. I've been doing hovers, harriers, flat spins in Phoenix 5.5. I also picked up a DX8G2.

What would be a good second plane?
  • Budget: Under $500.
  • Landing surface: Mostly landing on centipede grass, as I progress concrete driveway with cross wind.
  • Environment: I live in eastern NC and frequently have a breeze.
  • Power: Electric only
I was leaning towards the E-Flight T28 Basic or E-Flight T28 1.2m. I'm concerned about the T28 1.2m retracts holding up on grass landings.

I would also prefer a plane that uses 3S ~2200mAh batteries as the plane I would like to get takes those batteries. E-Flight Ultimate 2 is the plane I would eventually like to have.

Or since I've been doing 3D in the sim, just buy the Ultimate 2?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

It's a shame the original PARKZONE Trojan T28 has been discontinued, however, Horizon claims to have a few BNF 44"ws left in stock.......No stabilization aspects like the newer version E-Flite..........for a second plane, the Parkzone is what I'd recommend.

I have little faith in simulator training when it comes to jumping into serious acro (3d) type craft.....even though the Edge is a fine acro model, what one has experienced on a sim is not truly a good indication the skills acquired doing such translates well into reality........just my take.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Mogg2112
Coming in hot!

E-Flite has three versions of the T-28 Trojan. The newer 1.2m with retracts/stabilization, the Carbon-Z, and the basic BNF version that ParkZone used to produce. I don't see any difference between the PZ version and the new E-Flite BNF basic, and I don't see them discontinuing it any time soon.

Agree that the T-28 BNF basic is a perfect second plane. The newer 1.2m is VERY nice though and a more refined version of the original. It also seems to be built stronger and the scale details look better IMO. I still fly the basic BNF version myself though. Such a wonderful plane... it will always hold a special place in my heart. I love it so much that I have a spare airframe on standby when the inevitable mishap occurs!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I believe the PZ T-28 is now rebranded as the Eflight T-28. A great second plane that you can grow with. I can usually build a new T-28 out of spare parts for about $100.00. If I don't need a new wing or fuse, it's much less. Parts are readily available

Mine is ultra souped up with a Power-up 25 & 50 amp esc from headsuprc.com . A rocketship to say the least. That's what this platform provides . The ability to easily up the ante if you want to. With a 10 x 7 prop I'm doing near 100mph. A group of us at our field have done this with the venerable T-28. We fly formation with them.

Another one that's now one of my go-to planes is the 1200mm Flightline Spitfire sold by MotionRC, my all time favorite online hobby shop. An easy flyer and easily modable for higher performance later. I have the 880kv upgrade with 2 blade prop. Brings her to life !

You could also go bigger like the big 1450mm or 1700mm FMS Warbirds or the CarbonZ T-28 . Bigger is generally easier to fly.

FMS is now coming out with a 1100mm Pilatus PC-21. Flaps , retracts for $209.00 shipped from Forcerc.com, a long time FMS dealer.

Have fun !

Hawk
Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 PM
91bird

Is the T28 Basic or T28 1.2m a better option?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

[QUOTE=91bird;998931]Is the T28 Basic or T28 1.2m a better option?[/QUOTE

Depends if you want all the bells and whistles to include stabilization or desire to learn on a basic low wing that can be as docile as a lamb or as evil as a Tasmanian devil.....and learn to fly 3D "old school" mechanical and TX adjusted.......?
Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 AM
91bird

I ordered a T28 basic, night vapor, and Ultimate 2 with some batteries for all.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 AM
birdDog
Charging....

This: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa2004.html

With one of these: http://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?ro...product_id=131
(for use with Spextrum radios)

And a 2200mAh 3cell and you will be having a riot. The gyro/reciever is not mandatory but sure makes it less stressful in winds, not that the plane doesn't already fly like it's on rails. I have crashed mine pretty badly and it snaps right back into place. Bend the main landing gear forward 10-15 degrees for grass and use your elevator.

Excellent flying planes.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Vic Z

My 2nd plane was an Eflite T28 basic, and I don't think I could have made a better choice.
A little stretch at first, but picked it right up.
Easy to learn, great on center feel, very forgiving, and fairly capable aerobatically.
Once you get comfortable, for just a few bucks you can up the power to 4s, and when you get bored you can move the control rods and get more throw out of your surfaces. Not much it won't do.
Great plane, easy to fly, easy to repair, loads of fun.
I have mine on floats.
On grass I would get bigger wheels to make it roll better.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:35 AM
91bird

I ordered the E-Flight T28 Basic and Towerhobbies F6F. Both arrived and had their maiden voyage.

T28:
T28 was quick to setup and get running. I had E-Flight batteries already so the correct battery connectors were already installed. I did adjust all linkages to center control surfaces before hand. Quick cg check, bind, ready for flight (after following the quick assembly instructions).

Plane is very docile at low speeds and low rates. Easy to fly, very quiet and can hear the air moving over the wing. Go to full throttle and high rates and have some fun. Likes to glide as well.

The problem I did have with the plane was orientation when inverted or not, hard to tell the difference visually.

F6F
Battery connector was cracked out of the box. I changed it to EC3 as that is what my batteries are. I had to rotate the motor base 180 deg due to the motor wires entering the airframe from under the motor mount. This a problem because the battery smashes the motor wires. Rotated motor so wires enter the airframe from the top. Also beveled the balsa motor mount so wires pass over radiated edge. Also checked cg and adjusted control surfaces. Install receiver of choice and go.

The extra steps aside from the motor orientation issue is to install receiver of choice and attach prop.

Tail wheel doesn't do anything for steering on concrete.

Orientation is easy as top and bottom are different colors. Plane seems to be a little more responsive than the T28.

Which one do I like better? Quality of the electric motor seems better on the T28. On both planes the wheels wobble. If I had a spare receiver and got the plane on towerhobbies members special for $99 with $15 off I would get the F6F. At $120 plus receiver price the T28 becomes a better value with 10% off.

Both are fun planes and I enjoy them both. I would just buy both again!
Old 08-22-2016, 04:42 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Fun is the name of the game. You can always soup up the T-28 when you're ready for the challenge. Major fun.

Hawk
Old 09-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Vic Z

The wheels on the Trojan are a joke. Very small and wobbly.
I upgraded to some Dubros in a little bit bigger size for the grass. Might have to shim the axles and you will need to adjust the CG. Good upgrade.
The orientation is a little tough on the T28, but you will get used to it.
I have only been doing this for 7 months, but the T28 is my favorite out of 5. Great balance of agility and stability, and has been completely trouble free.
Enjoy
Old 09-04-2016, 07:40 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

These solved my grass taxi/take-offs and landings.....:

They come with copper sleeves that fit pretty well.

A multi colored paint scheme will help with visible orientation....:

Old 09-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Vic Z

I did the rubber "no bounce" wheels as I was new and very bouncy at the time. The ones shown above are probably quite a bit lighter and a better choice for grass.
They will help preserve your nose gear as well.
Color will help with orientation.
When winter comes I am going to break mine down and do a bright Yellow with blue trim. Since I hit my 50's my eyes are a little bit lazier than they used to be
Old 09-04-2016, 09:14 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

+1
I hand launch my souped up version and can do touch 'n goes without breaking a prop. 10x 7, Powerup 25, 60 amp esc, 2700-3300 4S.
One of my faves ! Parts readily available.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:00 PM
91bird

I had my first crash yesterday. Miss judged the height of a tree and slammed the t28 in the tree top. Wing ripped off, elevator gone, tail ripped off. The wing is in great shape but the mounting on front and back have been ripped off and gone. The fuselage split on the top around the battery box, no damage but glue broke bond.

If I glue the wing on, replace the rudder and elevator servo, glue the rudder back on and redo the hinge, and new elevator I think it will fly again.

What glue would you recommend to glue it together? Im debating Foam Tac and and Zap 30 min epoxy.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 PM
91bird

Forgot to add the flight was one of the best I had with that plane before the crash. Loops, rolls, inverted flight with turns, tail slides then crashed on landing. Battery was 3 weeks old and died before I could get the plane down.

I followed the crash with maiden flight on the ultimate 2. Trimmed it for about 30 seconds then right into harriers, knife edge, and flat spins. Loved it. Simulator practice paid off.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Vic Z

Sorry to hear about the crash, but sounds like you are having plenty of fun.
Gorilla glue works great. Have used it many times
Have never tried the others but i hear foam tac is good as well.
Will fly even better after repairs.

Good luck,
Vic
Old 09-12-2016, 10:28 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I use just about every glue in the market: foam tak, gorilla, 5 min epoxy, Welders, etc.

New parts are readily available for the Trojan. Motion, Horizon, LHS. I go through hstabs and cowls the most.

One recent discovery has been using dry wall tape, the kind that's perforated. Join the wing to the fuse and then the tape. But apply a coat of foam tack over the tape. Wing is going nowhere.

Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 09-12-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

http://www.horizonhobby.com/t-28-tro...-efl4450#close

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...pare-parts-tab
Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 PM
91bird

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I use just about every glue in the market: foam tak, gorilla, 5 min epoxy, Welders, etc.

New parts are readily available for the Trojan. Motion, Horizon, LHS. I go through hstabs and cowls the most.

One recent discovery has been using dry wall tape, the kind that's perforated. Join the wing to the fuse and then the tape. But apply a coat of foam tack over the tape. Wing is going nowhere.

Hawk
Glue wing to fuse then use the tape with glue to make a fillet?
Old 09-14-2016, 05:19 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Yep. Exactly. I also run some carbon rod as an extra spar.
I've folded the wings before but again, I'm running a hot setup that I think exceeds the design limits of the stock. A major weak point is the Hstab. Made for light duty flying.

If you simply fly stock, there's no need to do anything. It's still fun and rock solid. Just pointing out what is possible with this plane. One of the best park size flyers ever made IMHO.

Hawk
Old 09-22-2016, 05:53 AM
FlightofPhx

Gorilla glue works great, just remember it foams up, so wipe of excess before it dries. The T-28 still has dihedral in the wing and some self-righting, so good second plane. I like the Parkzone Super Cub as a second plane. It has those bush tires on it, and it flies like a dream. I think it flies inverted better than the T-28. Both are a lot of fun.