Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Which Connectors and Batteries to use?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Max711

Question Which Connectors and Batteries to use?

Just getting started in Electrics.... Any particular connectors or Li-Po batteries favored or more verstile then others? I'm planning on putting together a Sig LT-40 ARF with AXI motor and a Jeti 40 ESC....
Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

I personally use nothing but Deans Connectors.

And I order my batteries from www.hobbycity.com . I use the Zippy 3cell 2200mah 20c batteries,
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306

and have had no issues at all with them. Many people also use the Loong Max from Hobby City too.

For my charger, I use a Polycharge 4 with Blinky Balancers. I like the Polycharger because you can charge up to 4 batteries at 1 time. Keeps me in the air with very little down time.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/701353.asp

Blinky:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/518106.asp
Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Here's a place in the USA that has the Loong Max batteries. They relabel them with their own label.
http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php
Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 PM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Me Too!

I personally hate, "Me Too!" replies, but what you said and kindly included pictures and links to pretty sums up my experience with things that work very well for me.

I recently went thru all my packs and cut off JST connctors (One lead at a time) and soldered on Deans Ultra look-alikes that I got from Hobby City. Why? to reduce the resistance. And the HC look-alikes are Cheap and have moulded-in grab surfaces that make connecting and them much easier than the Real (slippery) Deans!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/SCOTTM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry, the photo above does not show the neat ridges they now mould in.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2116&cda=22889

Jim

Originally Posted by totalsnafu View Post
I personally use nothing but Deans Connectors.

And I order my batteries from www.hobbycity.com . I use the Zippy 3cell 2200mah 20c batteries,
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306

and have had no issues at all with them. Many people also use the Loong Max from Hobby City too.

For my charger, I use a Polycharge 4 with Blinky Balancers. I like the Polycharger because you can charge up to 4 batteries at 1 time. Keeps me in the air with very little down time.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/701353.asp

Blinky:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/518106.asp

Last edited by rocket_jim; 05-23-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 AM
carld2002

I got some deans from hobbycity and I find that they melt easier, don't come with shrink wrap, and at too tight making them hard to separate and especially hard to join.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Mr.Clean

Snafu,
Those are some excellent prices on the lipos. How do the batteries perform.

I have been using Common Sense for about a year now and I am not totally thrilled with them. I have noticed that as their products have become more popular that their prices have gone up. They are not comming close to brands like Thunderpower on some of their stuff.

I don't mind spending my money for a quality product but I also think that there is too much of a price difference in lipos from company to company.

Let me know.

Clean
Old 05-12-2008, 08:50 AM
clockworks

I prefer the "Corally" tube connectors. 2mm for small models and 3.5mm for 20A+.

Been using the 4mm versions on RC cars for years with no problems.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr.Clean View Post
Snafu,
Those are some excellent prices on the lipos. How do the batteries perform.

I have been using Common Sense for about a year now and I am not totally thrilled with them. I have noticed that as their products have become more popular that their prices have gone up. They are not comming close to brands like Thunderpower on some of their stuff.

I don't mind spending my money for a quality product but I also think that there is too much of a price difference in lipos from company to company.

Let me know.

Clean

I've been quite pleased with them and have not had a single complaint. They perform well. I ruined 1 in a crash and currently have 5 left. I've cycled them about 60 or so times and they are still going strong.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

My opinion - There are only so many factories in the world making these packs. Most are rebagged from something else. I'd rather spend $90 on 4 packs instead of 1.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

ME TOO!

Seriously, I use all the same stuff you do -- with a few minor exceptions:

1) I have not used the Zippy packs, because Hobby City can't keep them in stock. I've used the Loong Max packs, and had EXCELLENT results.

2) I have the "Polycharge", not the "Polycharge 4" -- mine cost me $25 (not $100 for the "Polycharge 4"), and does exactly the same thing (for only one battery at a time).
Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
I have the "Polycharge", not the "Polycharge 4" -- mine cost me $25 (not $100 for the "Polycharge 4"), and does exactly the same thing (for only one battery at a time).
I bought it specifically to charge four at a time. I had a single output charger, but hated the down time. I love being able to fly pretty much non stop if I choose.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Max711 View Post
Just getting started in Electrics.... Any particular connectors or Li-Po batteries favored or more verstile then others? I'm planning on putting together a Sig LT-40 ARF with AXI motor and a Jeti 40 ESC....
I suppose Deans Ultras are okay for "pack to ESC", but you still need the connectors for ESC to motor. Personally I use MP Jet Gold Connectors for everything - 2.5mm are good to 45A or so (14ga will just fit). On really high powered stuff with >14ga wire (to 80A+) you can go to 3.5mm.

Remember that the popular 3.5mm Bullet Connectors vary with manufacturer... so stick with the one brand, or else you'll have compatibility issues.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

I use 2mm gold for the motor/esc connection and Deans for the batteries. Using a mixture of Zippy, Loongmax and Common Sense RC packs. Zippy's are awesome! Also got a free sample of a Jackpower RC pack that I just love.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
bassplayinDude

I have 3 batteries I bought from valuehobby.com earlier this year (G-Force batteries, maybe these powered the fiery phoenix in the Battle of the Planets cartoon? Transmute!). Anyway, 2 of these batteries have logged many uses on my HBFP (2s 1000mAH) and are still going strong. I run them for about 10 minutes per charge which uses between 60-70% of the charge.

I also have a 3S 1800mAH 20C I picked up from them ($26), but I've only used it for one charge so I cannot comment on its reliability. If this one works out OK I'll probably load up on a few of these as I have two helicopters and two planes that can run on 3S batteries.

I'm using a Hyperion charger that can charge anything. I like it because it tells me how much it puts back into each LiPo pack. Haven't used it to charge any of my NiMH batteries yet but that's because I haven't switched them over to Deans yet. (I smell molten tin & lead in a 60:40 combination in my near future.)
Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I use E-flite EC3 connectors for battery -> ESC, and Deans, bullets, radio shack connectors, and solder for the ESC -> motor connection.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
I use E-flite EC3 connectors for battery -> ESC, and Deans, bullets, radio shack connectors, and solder for the ESC -> motor connection.
How's the price on EC3 connectors compared to Deans? I like them too and currently have EC3s on my Blade 400 and T-28. I only have the EC3 on one battery that came with my B400 though.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:09 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

The price kind of sucks, $3.99 for a pair and unlike deans they aren't really reusable. But, I still like them better because they have a real place to grip, and no shrink tube so they look "cleaner". I also find them easier to put together than the Deans (I've always fought with deans to get good solder joints.)

Originally Posted by bassplayinDude View Post
How's the price on EC3 connectors compared to Deans? I like them too and currently have EC3s on my Blade 400 and T-28. I only have the EC3 on one battery that came with my B400 though.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Default more picshures

Originally Posted by totalsnafu View Post
I bought it specifically to charge four at a time. I had a single output charger, but hated the down time. I love being able to fly pretty much non stop if I choose.
I have a set up I made from a PC power supply that runs 3 balance chargers at once. I have two of these
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-for-2/Detail and a single of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8798 (bought it just cause I was curious) and they work flawlessly. I do enjoy being able to have enough batteries running and charging to keep my flock in the air for a good part of the day.
Also, the Hobby City Dean's plugs are very nicely ridged and are much friendlier when pulling them apart than the old Deans were. A good reminder of how to keep them from becoming too tight is to solder them connected.......as in, when soldering them have the two halves joined so as to keep the relationship between them from moving under the heat. Tried and true advise

have fun,
Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeffs charger.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	66602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DX charger.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	66603   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Dean's.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	66604   Click image for larger version

Name:	104_5150.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	66605   Click image for larger version

Name:	104_5153.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	66606  

Last edited by Wrench66; 05-20-2008 at 06:44 PM.