Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Regal Eagle

Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Flysfloats

Default Regal Eagle

I have had a Bob Parkinson Regal Eagle kit for longer than I can remember. It was designed for the old glow ducted fan engines.

Since I am pretty much out of glow flying I was considering building this model and installing a EDF unit. My first question is whether this is a reasonable kit for our modern electric fans? I know you can buy ARFs that are pretty much ready to fly very inexpensively but the build is still something I enjoy. If the plane turned out to be a total pig, then I would reconsider.

Thanks for your comments. FF
Old 03-09-2015, 02:05 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Not familiar with that kit, but some of the larger EDFs (5 inch / 127 mm) are based on the old glow .91 ci units and will drop right in.

Many of the planes originally intended for glow DF have been converted to EDF.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

I've read some posts where folks have converted these to electric. Most I've read are are from 10 or 12 years ago and are talking about early brushless setups.
It should work with a 90mm edf unit on 5S or 6S.
I believe the completed weight was in the 5 to 6 lbs range so you will want to aim towards 800 watts or so. That kit could probably use some lightening as well as i think it called for a 90 glow. Much of the beefier section to cope with the vibrations of that glow motor could be reduced.
Good luck with the build, I've always liked the look of Bob's planes.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Flysfloats

Thank you for the comments. Sounds like it would be worth the effort to build and install an EDF power system. I am in Baja for another couple of weeks and when I get home I will start the building. Should be fun and my flying club has a Navy off site runway and taxiway available for r/c flying with tons of open space around. Will probably have some further questions as the project evolves. FF
Old 04-13-2020, 08:47 PM
Flysfloats

Default Possible NEW LIFE!!

I had even forgotten I had previously started this thread, goes to show you what being busy and aging can do, gulp! Anyway, with this "staying at home" for an undetermined period of time, I have finished my last modeling project and am "considering" the Regal Eagle again. I have pretty much the same questions as shown above, #1 is this a reasonable project? #2 Operators manual indicates 9 +/-lbs (assume a glow engine), #3 Could fly off of grass? #4 Any build threads you know of? Given my uncertainty with this build I would not be willing to go the Platinum route ($$$) but would go the Hobby King route as far as motor/fan unit. I do have a smaller E-Flite BAE Hawk that I have only tried to fly once and had a FOD problem and after replacing the fan is has stayed on the shelf, no other jet experience.

My second option IF I don't build the Regal Eagle is an old Carl Goldberg Protoge and convert to e=power.

Looking forward to some opinions that will keep me out of my wife's way and her quest to keep me busy!!!

Last edited by Flysfloats; 04-13-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:54 AM
Flysfloats

It appears that this thread doesn't have much interest as shown by the lack of responses. I have taken everything out of the kit and have the work bench cleared, plans down, and now watching the building cassette and trying to identify the parts. Still looking for a power source as Hobby King seems to have their fan/motors either out of stock or only available in Hong Kong and the dreaded month long delivery date. We shall see what progress I will be making, if any. FF
Old 05-04-2020, 06:35 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Flysfloats
It now a very old design so interest is likely to be limited.
There is a Regal Eagle rebuild taking place now on the RCME site.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:47 PM
Flysfloats

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
Flysfloats
It now a very old design so interest is likely to be limited.
There is a Regal Eagle rebuild taking place now on the RCME site.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply and you are correct in that the interest level is probably not so good. I was super excited to receive the link to the RCME site(new to me) but, sadly, the plane referenced in this build thread is totally different than the one I am trying to build. Mine is from a kit I bought in the mid 80s and was an early version of a balsa wood F-15 figher jet powered by a glow ducted fan. I am going to use an electric fan and motor and will see how it performs, if I live long enough to complete the build.

Hope all is well in the UK. Later, Ford