Refurb on a Clancy Lazy Bee - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Refurb on a Clancy Lazy Bee

Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 PM
abborgogna

Default Refurb on a Clancy Lazy Bee

At the suggestion of a friend of mine I took down from the garage rafters a Lazy Bee I purchased from Clancy many years ago. It originally flew with a MVVS .10 diesel. I stripped off the covering, removed the engine assembly and built a new set of tail feathers. Progress is slow but steady, I would be working on it right now but for the nasty heat wave we are having here in So. Cal..

Anyway I have a question for any Lazy Bee owner out there, where is the CG located. Dummy that I am I didn't check the CG before I started the refurbishing. I can run the wing against my online software and get close enough to test fly, but some empirical data is always best.

I need to get some KR-2 to remove the oil from the front of the fuselage and then start covering the fuse and wing. I am including some pictures of the restoration process.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LB restore 1.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	177400   Click image for larger version

Name:	LB restore 2.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	177401  
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Abuelo

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
At the suggestion of a friend of mine I took down from the garage rafters a Lazy Bee . . . .

Anyway I have a question for any Lazy Bee owner out there, where is the CG located. Dummy that I am I didn't check the CG before I started the refurbishing. I can run the wing against my online software and get close enough to test fly, but some empirical data is always best.
. . .
Per my plans from Clancy, the C/G is at 27.5% of the wing chord, or just slightly ahead of the front shear webbing between the first top and bottom spars.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 AM
abborgogna

Thank you very much Abuelo. I never got the wing plans from Clancy. I ordered the kit from him, it came in a tube which I promptly put on a shelf for several years. I finally decided to build it only to find out the wing kit was missing, all the wood and the wing plans. I contacted Clancy but he could not help me, it seems between the time I bought the kit and when I contacted him he had sold all the rights to the Lazy Bee to Cox hobbies. Under the contract he had with them he was not allowed to send me plans. In fact all he could tell me was the wing span, I scratch built the wing from pictures, using the wing side view on the fuselage as a template for the interior wing ribs. The tips were completely free done, the rib spacing was what I thought they should be. Only the span and interior cord were correct. Anyway it was tail heavy when I first flew it, but over time I kept adding weight to the nose and finally got it to fly quite nicely.

Anyway again thanks for the information, I am sure it will be a very good place to start.
Andy
Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Thank you very much Abuelo. I never got the wing plans from Clancy. I ordered the kit from him, it came in a tube which I promptly put on a shelf for several years. I finally decided to build it only to find out the wing kit was missing, all the wood and the wing plans. I contacted Clancy but he could not help me, it seems between the time I bought the kit and when I contacted him he had sold all the rights to the Lazy Bee to Cox hobbies. Under the contract he had with them he was not allowed to send me plans. In fact all he could tell me was the wing span, I scratch built the wing from pictures, using the wing side view on the fuselage as a template for the interior wing ribs. The tips were completely free done, the rib spacing was what I thought they should be. Only the span and interior cord were correct. Anyway it was tail heavy when I first flew it, but over time I kept adding weight to the nose and finally got it to fly quite nicely.

Anyway again thanks for the information, I am sure it will be a very good place to start.
Andy
Things have really improved in this electric power stuff since the days of that Lazy Bee. It won't be difficult to come up with an electric power system that will outperform that diesel engine of long ago.

What kind of final weight are you looking at? For this type of model, somewhere around 75-100 watts per pound of airplane would work very well.

Be sure to post your electric installation photos, and let us know how the maiden flights go.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM
abborgogna

I think a 100 watts will get the job done. I have an 850Kv motor and will swing a large prop for thrust not speed. I have replaced the old very heavy iron on covering with Polyspan on the fuselage and tail feathers, and will choose between Microlite or Polyspan on the wing. I have eliminated a heavy lead weight up front, and plan to use a 3s 2200mah battery. I just want it to putter along nice and stable, I have plenty of high performance planes to keep me happy. This one if for pure relaxation.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Abuelo

I think a 100 watts will get the job done. I have an 850Kv motor and will swing a large prop for thrust not speed. I have replaced the old very heavy iron on covering with Polyspan on the fuselage and tail feathers, and will choose between Microlite or Polyspan on the wing. I have eliminated a heavy lead weight up front, and plan to use a 3s 2200mah battery. I just want it to putter along nice and stable, I have plenty of high performance planes to keep me happy. This one if for pure relaxation.
Polyspan is a great choice. I use it wherever I can, along with tautening nitrate dope, and have been very pleased.

If of any benefit, here is a photo of my Lazy Bee wing built to the plans. Its been sitting uncovered while I deal with priorities, but you've got me ready to dig out the Polyspan. Weight as is: 87 gr - 3 1/8 oz.

I remember seeing a forum entry somewhere where a builder added one bay to the wing, making it with a 44" wingspan. Seemed to cure issues he had with both the 40" and 48" extended wing. Don't recall what the issues were, however, or even if worth the effort to convert an existing wing.

Name:	Lazy Bee wing 87 gr.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	177413  
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 PM
abborgogna

So that's what a real Lazy Bee wing looks like. I had to come up with my own wing design. I didn't know what the center section looked like and I didn't know what the wing material was like, and I didn't know what the rib spacing was. I did know the number and location of spars from the side view of the wing rib on the fuselage side view.

Here is a picture of my wing and as you can see it is quite different from you true Clancy LB wing. It spans 40 inches and flies quite well.

Andy
Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM
abborgogna

I forgot the picture. Duh!

Name:	LB restore 4.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	177414  
Old 09-21-2014, 10:23 PM
abborgogna

Well the restoration is moving along. The fuselage is now covered and awaiting color coat and the wing is ready for covering. I finally settled on Polyspan for the covering. I have been using this stuff for years on my control line pattern planes, I discovered it on a F/F web site. If the free flight guys use it you know it is light. I looks like silk span but has the strength of Coverite. I put it on with nitrate dope, tighten it up with heat and then seal it with four coats of nitrate dope. Give it a couple of days to out gas and then shoot it. If you know how to put silk/silkspan on this stuff goes on pretty much the same.
Andy
Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 PM
abborgogna

Forgot the pictures in the last input.

Name:	LB restore 9.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	177456   Click image for larger version

Name:	LB restore 8.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	177457  
Old 09-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Abuelo

Lookin' good.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 AM
abborgogna

Well the wing is now covered. I want give the dope a night to dry before heat shrinking the Polyspan. Then the doping of the wing starts. I new this was going to be a time consuming project, but it is starting to look like it will be worth the effort.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 AM
abborgogna

Here are some pictures of the covering job. As I said before I settled on Polyspan and nitrate dope, so far so good.
Andy

Name:	LB restore 12.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	177495   Click image for larger version

Name:	LB restore 11.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	177496   Click image for larger version

Name:	LB restore 10.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	177497  
Old 09-27-2014, 10:30 PM
abborgogna

Well the refurbish is complete, and the only thing left is to take the Lazy Bee to the field on Monday and see if it flies.
Andy

Name:	LB restore 13.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	177537  
Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Abuelo

Well the refurbish is complete, and the only thing left is to take the Lazy Bee to the field on Monday and see if it flies.
Andy
How did she fly?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 PM
abborgogna

Well now she flys quite nicely, but the first couple of flights were interesting to say the least. What I didn't notice (read: didn't check!) was that I had positive incidence on the motor, in short up thrust. As soon as the plane broke ground it wanted to point the nose way up. Anyway adding some washers to chance the incidence to down thrust and she now flys very well. At the present I have a few degrees of right rudder because I didn't add in any right thrust. I haven't decided to just fly it with right rudder or add in right thrust.
On Monday I put in six flight with it and had fun with it. It's no pattern ship but loops and stall turns are fun. Take offs and landings are really sweet. I think it is now ready to let my friend Larry have some stick time on it. On a 3s2200 battery I can get 7-8 minutes of flight time with reserve for landing. Most of the time it flys on 1/2 throttle, about the only time I jack up the power is on take off and loops. Just point it into the wind firewall the throttle and apply a little up elevator, roll outs are straight and lift offs are smooth. Looking back after having the plane sit for so many years in the rafters I am now glad I didn't just toss it out. I think the only thing that saved this plane from the dump was I was too lazy to pull out the servos and engine so I just left it up in the garage rafters collecting cob webs and dust. Now it is a functional and fun to fly Lazy Bee.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I used to have one of those. Flew great till I wrecked it.