General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

ready to give up

Old 08-14-2006, 07:09 PM
drew

Default ready to give up

hi got a 36
to many problems to list gonna bin it what next!!!!!!!!!! told to go for t rex by local shop
any advice please as i dont want to make another mistake

drew
Old 08-15-2006, 04:13 AM
Helitown

I understand it perflectly. Go with a Trex XL or SE.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Copters aren't easy and aren't for everyone. After 20 years of copters, I just go tired rebuilding/setup after each crash. I just wasn't get enough "fun per dollar".
I came back to fun fly foamies, and am having a ball.
Think about what you want out of the hobby.
Good luck, Pete.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Similar story here... Seeing a guy fly a copter in a park got me interested in RC. I got a Blade CX and learned the basics, enough to keep it in the air for a minute or two. But I don't have access to big indoor areas, and it can't handle hardly any wind outdoors, so I wasn't getting much flying time. I was spending a fair bit of time and money just fixing it after even minor crashes.

Like Doc said, what are you in this hobby for? In my case, I'm in it for relaxing fun. Well, my micro heli wasn't really giving me that, so I've put it away and got into foam electric RC (mostly Multiplex planes), and I'm really enjoying it, relaxing fun!! Someday might get the CX back out, or I might just sell it...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Quay007

Flight Sim, Flight sim FLIGHT SIM!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Originally Posted by Quay007 View Post
Flight Sim, Flight sim FLIGHT SIM!!!!
Again.... it's the "fun per dollar". To get you going the sim is great. Hours on the sim to perfect a pirouetting
loop isn't my idea of fun per dollar. To each his own...................
Old 08-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Crash9
www.FPVpilot.com

I have both foamy's and heli's. I like the heli and the skill it takes to fly one, but if I only flew heli's I would be more likly to give up the hobby. So for me I must have the planes for the relaxing afternoon in the park. My foamys can take the abuse and I don't have to be right on-top of the sticks to keep them airborne and that saves me $ ,with the same kind of gradifacation of building something that can fly. Where the Heli is more like a remote control balancing act. The reason I still fly helicopters is they can truly fly in the backyard, where my planes need a field or park. And I sometimes have a need to control something that's out'ta control and not so relaxing, It's all good....flying

For me the T-Rex is the best buy for the $ and easier for me to fly then those RTF beginner ones for $200 and parts are cheaper and getting easier to get. Both my LHS now carry a full line of parts.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:36 AM
CT4

This is an interesting thread, I always find it amazing that so many people can fly the same helicopter with so many different opinions about it. I totally agree that I am into flying purely for the fun of it, I hate competition and my reflex's nowadays are nowhere near good enough to fly 3-D. I had been flying model aircraft for about 30 years, I am an instructor at the local club and an inspector for quarter scale aircraft. I took up flying helicopters because I thought I needed the challenge (seemed a good idea at the time). I have flown by 30 and 60 size but never got to the same level of comfort that I have flying aeroplanes. After a breakthrough number of years I was in the local hobby store recently and saw a GWS Dragonfly complete with radio batteries in fact everything ready to fly out of the box, price $195 that's about hundred and $150 US. I was discussing with the guy behind the counter how on earth they could make all of this for this cost, and how it probably wouldn't work very well anyway. He produced one from behind the counter and proceeded to flight around the store. He said that if I took the time to set it up properly there's no reason why it shouldn't fly OK. As I love to tinker I bought one not expecting any great results. I have to say that I have been flying this around my warehouse and now have logged over 20 hours on it. Changed the batteriy to a LiPo and now get 30 minutes per charge flying time. This is the most fun I have ever had with any aircraft. I have had minimal damage even though I have had numerous crashes. As most of the damage can be repaired with carbon fibre rod or tube and usually takes less than half an hour I don't find this at all stressful. I have learned more on this helicopter than all of my combined time with the gasers. I guess part of the reason for this is that it is so cheap that I could totally destroy and still be ahead financially over the cost of a fairly minor crash with a 60 size helicopter. Anyway, I think we're all in agreement that the main object of the exercise is to have fun.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:56 AM
HAMMER

don't give up on 36 it will fly and fly well if you like i will be glad to help you set it up . if your new to helis you can't rush it take your time. you will get it i grant you. HAMMER!