Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Gloster Meteor F.3 60" span

Old 10-04-2010, 11:48 AM
eye4wings

Default Gloster Meteor F.3 60" span

Greetings!
Another video made up from bits and pieces scattered around my PC!
The Meteor used pusher props on 650 brushed motors and Nicad Power and because of the need to preserve the props from grounding had to be allowed to fly itself off tarmac instead of using a touch of elevator, but once up she flew really well.
Enjoy!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCil6oy4hTo[/media]
Old 12-13-2010, 06:36 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default well done

Just found this thread by accident. Looking at building a pusher Meteor myself to compliment my recently built Me 262 pusher. Great looking and flying plane you have there.. Any more info you could provide would be great, if you get the chance. Looking at building mine out of EPP and being handlaunched ( i fly off a cow paddock and potato patch) but things like wing /tail incidence, cog, and such would be really helpfull. You rarely see a first generation jet apart from the 262, so well done Cheers
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Why cheat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gl...teor_EE227.jpg

http://www.meteorflight.com/waveplus..._age-turboprop

Maybe someone has already done this in the UK - Chris Golds perhaps?

Makes a neat model though.

D
Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
eye4wings

I too would be very surprised if Chris hasn't done a meteor - after all he used to fly them - but I can't remember seeing one from his stable.

Had I been aware of the Trent Meteor when I designed mine I would certainly have gone that route. Tractor props would have been no problem off grass. As it was my ignorance led me to the pusher prop solution... but that was in the days before LiPo cells and the nose of mine was stuffed full of NiCads - 14 of them I think it was. I had earlier produced a smaller (42" chuckie) version which flew very nicely on Speed 400s and Gunther push-on props. My unwillingness to say goodbye to half of my potential flight times through ducted fan inefficiency stopped me going the DF way.

Pattern14, if you want to use my plan it is available from Traplet Publications to the plan number shown on the video. The design was published in RC Model World in Nov 2005 issue, with the smaller one in RCMW May 2004. Both were excellent fliers.
These days with LiPos being so light I would do the Trent version because the weight of the motors that far behind the CofG need a fair bit of weight in the nose to balance them.

Incidences were I think about +1.5 degrees for wing (0 at tips) and 0 degrees tailplane.

What size is your 262?
Any chance of a pic or two?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 AM
CT4

When I put a ful size down like that the comeback from the tower was " I only cleared you for 1 landing sir!"
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I too would be very surprised if Chris hasn't done a meteor - after all he used to fly them - but I can't remember seeing one from his stable.

Had I been aware of the Trent Meteor when I designed mine I would certainly have gone that route. Tractor props would have been no problem off grass. As it was my ignorance led me to the pusher prop solution... but that was in the days before LiPo cells and the nose of mine was stuffed full of NiCads - 14 of them I think it was. I had earlier produced a smaller (42" chuckie) version which flew very nicely on Speed 400s and Gunther push-on props. My unwillingness to say goodbye to half of my potential flight times through ducted fan inefficiency stopped me going the DF way.

Pattern14, if you want to use my plan it is available from Traplet Publications to the plan number shown on the video. The design was published in RC Model World in Nov 2005 issue, with the smaller one in RCMW May 2004. Both were excellent fliers.
These days with LiPos being so light I would do the Trent version because the weight of the motors that far behind the CofG need a fair bit of weight in the nose to balance them.

Incidences were I think about +1.5 degrees for wing (0 at tips) and 0 degrees tailplane.

What size is your 262?
Any chance of a pic or two?
Hi Eye4wings, finally got back to this thread. My Me 262 build thread is located under my name in the Scratch and kit built forum. It is actually a kit from S&B Warbirds which has since been discontinued due to the production line being destroyed in a tropical storm I got the last one they made, which makes it rather collectable. Lots of pictures in the thread, and it is currently under going some mods to make it a little more practical. Very fast and tough, it took me longer than usual to master handlaunches and landings. Just thought the Meteor would be a good plane to balance the equation
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
When I put a ful size down like that the comeback from the tower was " I only cleared you for 1 landing sir!"
Heard down the back of a RAF Nimrod after one slightly unorthodox ending to a training sortie.

'QFI from Nav. Shall I log the last landing? The student appears to need the flying hours'

D
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
eye4wings

I was a bit surprised not to have someone call the usual "Three landing fees!".
Maybe they would have had it been a civvy type?
Nice one Avalon! I'm impressed that you survived if it really was that bad a landing...

Pattern14, I had a look through your thread, thanks. Collectable? I guess you've proved that having single handedly collected it several times already - at least once from a wide area!
Unless you think a whole lot slower than me (and I doubt anyone does!), my Meteor was a lot slower than your 262. I was aiming for scale speed (as usual) and had to add a cell or two to do it.

I hope someone is collecting these little gems Dereck.
I expect someone does judging by the occasional load that arrive in my inbox from friends with nothing else better to do!