Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

RX antenna mod..

Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 PM
timocharis
Dave North

Wow, I did check it out and it's very interesting. At this point, I'd be curious to see some independent testing on the E-cubed models (they claim no degradation).

But it looks like coiling the wire isn't a great idea in long range planes...

Dave
Old 06-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Reddog

I've been using coiled antennas, exclusively! See no need to change?
Dick
http://www.zippyvideos.com/902154811...ca_chief_-__6/
Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 PM
LongbowAV8R

Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
I've been using coiled antennas, exclusively! See no need to change?
Dick
Right... as have I. I would say that 75% of my helicopter fleet has or once had a Dean's or a Revolution whip on them.

I just wanted to ensure that the old guys training and teaching the younger ones as well as the ones that are young to R/C and learning on their own understand what the bottom line is when they employ some of the tactics that they will pick up from the local air park. Make sure your students know that adjusting the antenna in any manner will result in a loss... this is not necessarily a bad thing, but they need to understand how they are affecting the system.

The big point here is not to take any advertisement at face value and always... always... always range check. YES, you can wrap, cut, adjust as you need or replace with some of the neat looking aftermarket antenna parts and pieces out there, but understand that we will always pay a price in dB loss and that it is up to the pilot to make a judgement call about how much loss to accept for their application.

As I said before, we as aeromodelers will always be fighting the never ending battle of appearance vs. performance.

Fly Safe
Cory
Old 06-18-2006, 06:03 PM
timocharis
Dave North

Originally Posted by LongbowAV8R View Post
Make sure your students know that adjusting the antenna in any manner will result in a loss...
Except, weirdly, in the case of lengthening the antenna on a well-designed receiver. This is a surprise to me, but it looks like making the antenna longer actually works up to a point!

The other thing that surprised me was how little difference small adjustments make; clipping an inch or two will not be noticed. Don't know how many times I've been told even a slight modification can have serious results.

Dave
Old 06-18-2006, 10:57 PM
redgiki

Originally Posted by timocharis View Post
Except, weirdly, in the case of lengthening the antenna on a well-designed receiver. This is a surprise to me, but it looks like making the antenna longer actually works up to a point!
It even works well on a poorly-designed receiver. I had a GWS 6-channel Rx which was glitch-city. Replacing the antenna with a full-length replacement resulted in a dramatic performance improvement, to the point that I can fly the "big pattern" at our dry-lake bed with the glow guys and not be worried about glitching.

The GWS Rxs are only rated to about 400 feet or so. Extending the antenna markedly improves this, easily making it reach a thousand feet or more.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:31 PM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Not only are we always going to be fighting the battle of appearance v performance, but conjecture v fact, opinion v measurement, form v function, etc ad nauseum! Glad to see that there were some references to actual expirementation in a few of these posts.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:58 AM
CT4

Default Short antenna

I have been using home made base loaded antenna on my helicopters for over 5 years and never had a problem, in so saying I do fly in a scale like manner and never too far away from myself (slow reflexes and ageing eyesite). It has been a real eye opener following this thread. I have just purchased one of the micro anenna for use on my micro heli, I will post if anything nasty happens!!!

Originally Posted by watt_the?! View Post
i havent had any luck at all with base loaded antennas...we are on 36mhz with a 39inch aerial, so i think that has something to do with it.

wrapping the entire thing around a drinking straw or similar has seemed to work somewhat.

Tim.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:29 AM
CT4

Update on antenna. Fitted the Ecubedrc micro antenna to my indoor micro heli works fine the odd glitch that I sometimes got has gone away. Now I know that GWS are not the best in RC design but the antnna was 19" so it looks like the Ecubed has fixed the problems. Sure is a lot neater. As I said before I am flying indoors and up close and personal, but it works for me!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:57 PM
peterangus

Originally Posted by watt_the?! View Post
ntohing spoils a scale plane like a piece of cables hanging out the back of it.

Tim
Several of my models have 40 inch invisible antennas. A single strand of .011 inch dia tinned copper wire, with no insulation.

No problems have shown-up in two years use.

Last edited by peterangus; 08-20-2006 at 04:15 PM.