Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Reload this Page >

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 08-06-2006, 01:42 PM
up_ya_go
up is good

Yes indeed ... and thanks Don and Bill !!!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:10 PM
DOCSpanky

Default well, here I am

I'm coming back after a long hiatus, I got some questions posted over in the beginners section, cause I guess thats where I need to go, back to the beginning........
Looking forward to a healthy relationship/knowledge building experience here.

DOCSpanky
Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by DOCSpanky View Post
I'm coming back after a long hiatus, I got some questions posted over in the beginners section, cause I guess thats where I need to go, back to the beginning........
Looking forward to a healthy relationship/knowledge building experience here.

DOCSpanky

Hey Doc, another Tennessean at heart here anyway, originally form east TN, Knoxville area. Have settled in here in VA for now anyway. Welcome to WF and welcome back to the hobby!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:36 AM
mandocuca

hi guys, i'm looking for suggestions on lipo chargers and balancers
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by mandocuca View Post
hi guys, i'm looking for suggestions on lipo chargers and balancers
Welcome to WattFlyer.
Look in the Batteries and Chargers section and I'm sure you will find what your looking for.
Here is a link.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Old 08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
bigal422

Hi guys, I just signed up. I've been flying rc for several years. Trying to get started in electrics. I just purchased an ultrafly outrage. Going to need some help because I know nothing about electric airplanes.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hey Al, the folks around here would be happy to help!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:17 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hey BigAl welcome to WF, Ultrafly makes a good product. good choice!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 AM
bigal422

Thanks, Guys.

I should have the rest of my stuff by the end of the week. Where is the best place to post questions when they come up.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Where to post?

Hi BigAl, Welcome to Wattflyer! As far as where to post, there's a thread going about the "Outrage" on the 3D Forum; http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8945
You can post most questions on General Electric Forum but if you want to hit the "Target Audience" (love those marketing buzz words!) you're better off going to the specific Forum, like Batteries and Chargers for specific power supply questions, etc.
Another method, this is great when you're not sure where the discussion might be, is to do a "Search", say you're unsure which connectors to use, type a Search for "connectors" and you'll find all the applicable discussions, latest one first.
Last, click on "New Posts" (top of each page, green letters) every once in a while; I've found interesting and relevant info that wasn't posted where I thought it would be, just takes a couple of minutes to check.
Good Luck!
Ron

Last edited by Sky Sharkster; 08-09-2006 at 12:44 PM. Reason: found link
Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Nosedown

Thumbs up New member.

HI everybody, new Norwegian member living in Aberdeen Scotland here. I have been flying rc sail planes for almost 25 years and are now venturing into the electric helicopter part of the hobby.

Flying (trying to hover) a Honey Bee CP2.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:45 PM
bigal422

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hi BigAl, Welcome to Wattflyer! As far as where to post, there's a thread going about the "Outrage" on the 3D Forum; http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8945
You can post most questions on General Electric Forum but if you want to hit the "Target Audience" (love those marketing buzz words!) you're better off going to the specific Forum, like Batteries and Chargers for specific power supply questions, etc.
Another method, this is great when you're not sure where the discussion might be, is to do a "Search", say you're unsure which connectors to use, type a Search for "connectors" and you'll find all the applicable discussions, latest one first.
Last, click on "New Posts" (top of each page, green letters) every once in a while; I've found interesting and relevant info that wasn't posted where I thought it would be, just takes a couple of minutes to check.
Good Luck!
Ron
Ron, Thanks for the info. I'll most likely need all that you mentioned.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Nosedown View Post
HI everybody, new Norwegian member living in Aberdeen Scotland here. I have been flying rc sail planes for almost 25 years and are now venturing into the electric helicopter part of the hobby.

Flying (trying to hover) a Honey Bee CP2.
Welcome fellow glider guider. I spend 70% of my time with unpowered gliders.

That leaves 30% for small electric plane, so I can't share heli experiences with you but if you want to talk sailplanes, visit the sailplane forum. It if or electric and unpowered sailplanes.

Welcome to wattflyer! You will like it here! :p
Old 08-11-2006, 10:21 AM
plane_tech
plane_tech

Default new here

Hi All...
New to the board and once again new to the hobby. Used to fly, badly, and descided to give it another shot. I have been attempting to finish a Carl Goldburg Endurance 400 as my first plane back. Its only been in the works for about 6 months now...
Looking forward to getting some advise and getting back into the hobby.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hey Nose and Plane!!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
Hi All...
New to the board and once again new to the hobby. Used to fly, badly, and descided to give it another shot. I have been attempting to finish a Carl Goldburg Endurance 400 as my first plane back. Its only been in the works for about 6 months now...
Looking forward to getting some advise and getting back into the hobby.
Welcome back to the fun!

While the endurance is not a "true" hotliner unless you put in a hot motor, it is highly aerobatic. That means it is also not at all stable. If you were serious about not being a great flyer, you might want to pick up something a little more stable and forgiving for your first plane.

Are you looking to fly fast, aerobatic planes, or are you into electric gliders?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 PM
plane_tech
plane_tech

Default a little of this and a little of that.

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Welcome back to the fun!

While the endurance is not a "true" hotliner unless you put in a hot motor, it is highly aerobatic. That means it is also not at all stable. If you were serious about not being a great flyer, you might want to pick up something a little more stable and forgiving for your first plane.

Are you looking to fly fast, aerobatic planes, or are you into electric gliders?
Well, I woulkd say both. But for now, untill i get used to flying again, I wanted to start out with an electric glider... Any suggestions? Kit or ARF does not matter to me.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:38 AM
FlaFlyer

plane_tech,

While more of a warmliner than a hotline the Filip 400 is a lot of fun and will probably be fast enough to get you back in the "spirit" so to speak. IMHO, if you power it with an AXI 2808 or a Hyperion Z3007 and run a good 3S 2100 mah pack you will have an e-glider that is moderately aerobatic and easy to launch, fly and land. There are plenty of choices for sure, but, having flown a Filip 400 for about a year or so, I would recommend it as an average quality ARF that is relatively inexpensive (as hotliners go) to set up and fly.

cheers,
Steve
Old 08-13-2006, 04:28 PM
kgfly

G'day folks,

I recently passed my first ePlane (ElectrafunXP, 3ch high wing, pusher prop - a great beginner's machine) along to a mate and am trying to decide what to get as my foray into 4ch ePlanes. I want something that is comfortable to fly in a soccer-field sized local park (surrounded by trees!), good for an aileron newbie but that I won't outgrow too fast. Oh yes, and also probably hand launched since the surface at the park isn't any good for runway-style take-offs.

I have been looking at a variety of 3-D foamies since they don't seem to need a lot of room, but any and all ideas would be welcome. I recently saw an ad for the ParkZone Typhoon and am looking a bit further into that model.

I also fly a TRex eHeli (learning there too!) using a Spektrum DX6.

I am a huge fan of the advantages of 2.4G spread spectrum technology, particularly for use in uncontrolled suburban spaces where any kid within 500m or more could turn on their $50 RC toy and shoot me down.

Cheers,
Kenneth
Old 08-15-2006, 07:20 AM
pjshark

Default New to flying

Hi Guys, as you prob read by the title im a newbe. Found this awsome web site (good work for the guys that created it), and its been a help.
Its a shame i didnt find it before i brought my first Eplane. I was told a 3ch would be better in the long run, and to get a Aerobird Challenger by a mate who has one but the shop i went to recomended the firebird freedom (according to him it is the replacement for the challenger), let me just say its been a challenge to fly but dont get me wrong I love it.

Any ways thought id pop in and say hi.

Cheers P.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
CT4

Default Gday

Just joined the site wanted to say hi to everybody. I have just got back into flying (fighting really) helicopters and have changed to electric, Having a ball as I live in an old warehouse in Sydney Australia plenty of room to fly. With the number of posts here looks like I have alot of reading to do!!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome folks! Enjoy the site, lots of great folks hang out here.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:52 AM
patnchris

I am a relative newbie.....Been crashing planes for about a month, now. I have several posts on other threads, but thought I would stop in here and introduce myself....
My name is Pat. I live in NorthEastern Illinois. Currently unimployed as the company I worked for for 26 years closed it's doors a couple months back.
I flew control line back in the early 60's....Back then you built your planes from kits. All but a few were balsa and laquered paper....Then got interested in girls, and airplanes were the furthest thing from my mind.
Over the years I've watched airplanes evolve. While I found RC interesting and could really appreciate what it was, I had no desire to get involved with fuel engines.
Then I couple of months ago, I saw someone flying a toy RC Plane. It was really nothing to speak of, but I thought I might look in to getting on to play with.....When I started looking around, I found a whole world of electric powered planes....Not just the $30 toys....I got the bug and found a hardware store selling HobbyZone Aerobird Freedoms for $69....They just wanted to get rid of them....Well.....As you all know....This is not a very good beginner plane....I crashed, repaired, crashed again...I was determined top learn to fly this plane!!!!.....While doing this I caught the eye of an old gentleman, who would come to the park and watch me try to fly.....He was impressed with my determination and ability to continue to repair this plane, no matter how smashed it was. One morning he wandered over and struck up a conversation. Seems that he also had purchased a plane and crashed it numerous times. He invited me to his garage, across the street, where he showed me a destroyed ParkZone Slo-V....said he couldn't fly it and couldn't fix it....said I cou;d have it, complete with the box it came in and the transmitter with leaking batteries in it.....
Now I was on a mission.....I knew I could repair it....Ordered some parts from LHS and fabricated some others.....soon I had two planes.....And still couldn't fly either without smashing them up.....Each day I went to the park, with my two planes.....20 minutes later I was on my way home.....6 hours of fabricating, glueing, taping, and some Monocoat, as I was readt to go again, the next morning.....This continued for several weeks, until I joined a couple of forums. Using information I could gather from different posters, I started to realize that a lot of my problems were the planes, themselves....They are supposed to be easy to assemble and RTF out of the box.....so when I repaired them, I did everything I could to restore them to the way they were. And when I flew them they flew exactly like they did before. I slowly began to realize that I could recall and use some of the building skills I'd used when I was a kid, building planes. Soon I was fabricating complete replacement parts out of foam and balsa.....I also began to see what the problems were, with these planes and how to repair them.....Some was trial and error.....But within a week, I was actually flying these two planes. Each day I would come home with less and less repairs to do.....About this time, I got my HobbyZone Super Cub....The stipulation was that I couldn't fly it, until I could fly the other two, without crashing, for three consecutive outings.........Well, Today I MAIDENED MY SUPER CUB.....What a wonderful flying plane it is.....I still fly the other two....as I feel they are both disposible....So I can try things with them I wouldn't try with the SC..........That's my story....AND I'M STICKING TO IT!!!!!............Pat
Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 PM
ddigio

Thumbs up

Hi, Just joined and a newbie. Have always wanted to fly rc and now that I found out about electric/park flyers I am ready to jump in. I just ordered a HZ Super Cub for Myself and my son, it should be here tomorrow but won't be able to do anything with it untill next week... I guess I'll be chomping at the bit
Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 PM
goneflyin

Welcome,
I had my first flight with the Super Cub Tuesday night and I was impressed, I have only been flying for a couple months with a Red Hawk and my new HZ Super Cub is much more responsive and faster, I think it's a great plane for the money, you guys should have alot of fun with it.

Tom

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.18813 seconds with 12 queries