Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (13)
Default No cost wheel chocks from scrap wood.

I'm building a .40 size twin from plans and put it on wheels for the first time last night so I could start checking and setting incidence. I needed it to stay still so as not to affect readings. I was using pliers and aluminum bars as chocks then I started thinking why not just make some wheel chocks? So I did. I rummaged in the balsa scrap box and dug out some 1" triangle stock and some 1/4" balsa stick. It took me all of about 10 minutes to measure, cut and glue together three chocks. Two are for 3" main wheels and one for the 2.5" nose wheel. Slopped some acrylic paint on 'em and they work like a charm. I tried using two unattached pieces of tri stock but they didn't work to my satisfaction. With the tri stock locked together the plane can't go anywhere. Even all square stock would have worked to build these. I just love the things I have made from that scrap wood treasure box.

I made my own bolt on motor incidence platform from scrap last night too. Uses the Harbor Freight digital level. Works awesome but it's motor size specific. I think I'll make another for the smaller motors too.

Joe

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2909.JPG (1.26 MB, 85 views)

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 10-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
Porcia83

Friends: (4)

Great idea, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

Guy in our club uses old kiddies boots ... cuts then short so wheel sits inside.

Must admit I have thought about chocks to stop my Extra from moving on runway even when idling .. but its how to pull them out while on the sticks.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Porcia83

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Guy in our club uses old kiddies boots ... cuts then short so wheel sits inside.

Must admit I have thought about chocks to stop my Extra from moving on runway even when idling .. but its how to pull them out while on the sticks.

Nigel
I have been known at times to use my Crocs to stop my larger planes from moving around. Finally another use for them. Incidentally is wceeoi aware of what the holes on the sides of Crocs are for? It allows my dignity easy egress.LOL. I'm the first to admit they are generally a hideous shoe/sandals but comfort won out over vanity years ago.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft