How do you shoot video when you are alone? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

How do you shoot video when you are alone?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 PM
ooOoo
Ninja

Default How do you shoot video when you are alone?

Just wondering what method everybody uses to shoot video of flying their plane when they don't have a videographer? My cell phone is my video camera and I've looked at the head band phone holders on eBay and I'm not sure which one to get or which one works well. I'd like to stay around $20 shipped because it's only elastic with a small piece of plastic, but some of them are around $50.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:17 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ooOoo View Post
Just wondering what method everybody uses to shoot video of flying their plane when they don't have a videographer? My cell phone is my video camera and I've looked at the head band phone holders on eBay and I'm not sure which one to get or which one works well. I'd like to stay around $20 shipped because it's only elastic with a small piece of plastic, but some of them are around $50.
Having shot a lot of videos of RC models in flight with my Canon SX20IS camera IMHO, a cellphone won't work well. All you will get is a tiny speck moving around in the sky.

My camera has up to 30X zoom, 4 times that of a pair of binoculars. Just keeping the model in the viewfinder is a real challenge.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Paul80

And keeping it in focus will challenge most cameras Autofocus systems
Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Paul80 View Post
Good point. My Canon camera has a manual focus option. On auto focus, as soon as the model goes out of the field of view, the camera auto focus starts hunting.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

A Mobius mini can on a headband mount is what i use. It's not perfect as ideally you would want to be zoomed in more but it's not too bad. Without spending big bucks on one of the fancy auto tracking video systems then it's about the best you will get solo.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:29 PM
formontoya

I use a hat cam as well. along with it I have a cheap pair of sunglasses that I've scripto-ed a bullseye on that as long as I keep the plane is "on target" I get decent shots...
Old 02-02-2016, 08:17 PM
ooOoo
Ninja

Mostly all I'll be shooting is park flyer size planes at close range, would the cell phone camera work well enough for that? It's a Galaxy S5 and has a decent camera for a phone.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Rule #1 TURN OFF AUTO FOCUS.
Rule #2 STAY CLOSE
Rule #3 Read rule #1
Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Paul80 View Post
Given the short focal length / wide depth of field of most small digi-cameras I would think that just about everything beyond 30 feet from the camera would be "infinity" as far as focus is concerned.

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
I use a hat cam as well. along with it I have a cheap pair of sunglasses that I've scripto-ed a bullseye on that as long as I keep the plane is "on target" I get decent shots...
Just curious, how do you align your "MacGyver heads up display" with the camera so they both frame the same thing?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Mostly all I'll be shooting is park flyer size planes at close range, would the cell phone camera work well enough for that? It's a Galaxy S5 and has a decent camera for a phone.

I use my Galaxy or my HTC phone. Much closer video than when using action cams. You can slightly zoom them before videoing as well.
I just sit it on something and look at the viewfinder to see what the field of view is and try to stay within those confines. If I go outside that, I edit the blank bits out.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Dave180
Nonprofit User

Plan on crashing if you want to get a good close up video of it.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 AM
maxflyer

There are good reasons more people don't shoot videos, and one of the major ones is that problem of how to do tracking. The perfect system for me has been to mount my GoPro on an old bicycle helmet. As long as I keep my head pointed at the aircraft it remains right in the center of the screen. I don't even have to think about it. Of course, you must remember not to look around frivolously, unless you intend to edit those moments out.

The GoPro has had it's own challenges, primarily the stock lens with it's fisheye perspective. You can fly an aircraft right in front of your face and it stills looks to be far away! I had to change to a different lens, but must still make an effort to keep the plane close to prevent it from becoming a speck on the video. That's the biggest flaw I see in a lot of videos, and the one that sends me packing almost immediately.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 AM
ooOoo
Ninja

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I just sit it on something and look at the viewfinder to see what the field of view is and try to stay within those confines. If I go outside that, I edit the blank bits out.
I'm new at this and have shot video of 1 flight, which was only the 2nd time I've flown a non-self righting plane. I sat it on the ground in a field and it stayed focused on the couple blades of grass that were in front of it. I could still see the plane in the video, just not really well.

Edit: I fail miserably at editing videos, I'd have to leave the blank spots in lol
Old 02-03-2016, 01:36 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

HatCam

That's an 808 #16, but these days I usually shoot with a Mobius.

Here are a couple of recent examples:

Old 02-03-2016, 03:08 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Here is a video I've posted several years ago on my 82 inch wingspan Giant Big Stick. The Canon SX20IS camera has been zoomed out to as much as 30X during the flight. And, it's obvious trying to hold the camera without shaking is a problem.

Some of my other club members have tried using things like a cellphone, and wound up with the model turning into little specs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXCArYyhUgY
Old 02-07-2016, 01:06 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I use my gopro and head strap mount but it doesn't work so well when you get a ways out. No zoom function for that. nice for close in passes though.

example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA17Xu0zJAA

then there is this, I have the soloshot 2 but have never used it in a plane. I should try that this summer since that is what I got it for...

https://shop.soloshot.com/
Old 02-07-2016, 04:59 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Well you are only going to get one good scene if you shoot video of yourself flying. A spectacular crash scene.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
HatCam

Now that is a cool idea! I have a small camera that I usually mount on the plane, but sticking it on the cap with a 'sight' like that - I like it!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:34 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

yeah, the sight is a nice idea! But to make it work properly you would really need both a front and rear sight to line up, like on a rifle.

It's not strictly necessary of course providing you adjust the angle of the camera correctly and keep looking at the model. Here's an example of a head-cam without any sight (shot by yours truly):
Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

My question is what aiming point of reference used for the ring sight ?

I have a head band camera - designed for cyclists / skiers etc. It has an LED aiming light. But that's only good for close work. If I setup with that light - at distance its way of the mark.

I now use Sunglass video cam - sits over top of my normal glasses. Not ideal as the frames don't match well. One thought is to see if I can fit my spare lenses to the video cam frames.

But in a month or so - I will have my Soloshot3.

Interested to try the ring sight though.

Nigel
Old 02-08-2016, 01:25 PM
hkeelljr

I've used the ring sight on several occasions, but before goinng out to the field I did several "takes" in my shop to make sure I had everything lined up right. The main problem was that repositioning my cap when I put it back on.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hkeelljr View Post
I've used the ring sight on several occasions, but before goinng out to the field I did several "takes" in my shop to make sure I had everything lined up right. The main problem was that repositioning my cap when I put it back on.
What about view - the eye tends to fix on a point and ignore closer / further ... so aiming, how does the ring affect your view / do you focus in / out as needed ?

Nigel
Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

You cant aim with a single sight.. You need a rear and a front sight to line up. A single sight is really no better than no sight at all. Imagine aiming a rifle using only the rear sight and having nothing at all on the front of the barrel to line up. The rifle could be pointing away at 45 degrees and you would have no way of knowing.

You really don't need a sight anyway, take a few test videos adjusting the camera angle until the plane is about centre of field of view. Once set you should be good from then on as long as your head mount gives a solid repeatable positioning of the camera. The video in my previous post was shot without benefit of any sight.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

JPF ... I agree that was my thought and why I asked questions. I have guns with scopes / sights and yes its true about the two sights ... In fact tell a little fact here :

The AK47, which I have handled and fired, is good for 400m but is renowned for its accuracy only in the 100+m arena. The 'boys' who wanted better long range accuracy altered the sights to be further apart, as the factory ones are too close together.

I've used both ... factory and modified ... big difference !

Anyway ... one problem I have with my cap cam ... is just that - as other says. Getting cap on correct and cam aimed straight and direct forward. Every time cap comes of to switch on cam ... I have to be careful to put cap back on same way as prev. One of the reasons I changed to the Sunglass variety.

I think if the single ring is placed far enough out ... then it can work.

"mclarkson" and hkeelljr seemed to have got it to work ...

mmmmm I also have an MD80 cam ... but that fails every time to get correct aimed.

Nigel
Old 02-08-2016, 09:08 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

"mclarkson" and hkeelljr seemed to have got it to work ...
There really is no evidence they have got it to work. Their videos (though very nice) are no better centred than mine, which used no sights at all. TBH I'd be a bit worried about having a sight directly in my line of vision and the distraction would almost certainly cause. While videos of planes crashing make good fun to watch (when shot by others) they are no fun to make.

FWIW i use a headband that was originally intended to mount a head torch. This gives a nice stable mount and repeatable camera alignment each time of use.

Quick Reply: How do you shoot video when you are alone?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15369 seconds with 12 queries