gyro on ailerons with 2 servos - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

gyro on ailerons with 2 servos

Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 PM
sportflyer

Default gyro on ailerons with 2 servos

I have a airplane gyro Eagle A3 Pro that has only a single output for ailerons ie no Aux output for 2nd aileron .
Has anyone tried to connect the aileron output of the gyro to only one aileron? I believe it should work but not sure how good it will be.
Tks
Old 12-19-2019, 10:52 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

That way you get roll and up/down effect simultaneously: corkscrew (or barrelroll?).
Y-cable. But you have to make sure you install the 2nd servo the right way, because you cannot reverse output if needed.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

With the A3pro ..... you really are limited to a Y lead setup .... unlike the Super Series that allows use of Aux outputs.

One aileron ? Its not that unusual many years ago in fact ... and I suspect that as long as the gain is kept down low - should work.

You do not say what model it is ... once we know that - maybe we can suggest another way.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:16 PM
sportflyer

The target plane is a foamy for park flying This plane uses a single aileron servo and the A3 pro is fine.
So the simplest way of reusing this gyro on other planes with 2 ail servos is to use a servo reverser on one of the ail servos.

I might just get a cheaper 3 axis gyro like the NX-3 and leave installed on the foamy.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:34 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
The target plane is a foamy for park flying This plane uses a single aileron servo and the A3 pro is fine.
So the simplest way of reusing this gyro on other planes with 2 ail servos is to use a servo reverser on one of the ail servos.
Reverser ? Its only needed if both servos have arms pointing in same direction ... but if they are 180 degrees to each other - then simple Y lead is fine

I might just get a cheaper 3 axis gyro like the NX-3 and leave installed on the foamy.
The best Hobby Eagle Gyro is the A3 super II ... but that's been replaced by the Super III ...
Old 12-20-2019, 07:44 PM
sportflyer

[QUOTE=solentlife;1022028]Reverser ? Its only needed if both servos have arms pointing in same direction ... but if they are 180 degrees to each other - then simple Y lead is fine
I have planes with ail servos oriented both ways so it depends on the plane. I like the 2 ailerons driven by separate servos because adjusting and matching end points can be done electronically .

I didnt know Eagle gyro has an updated super . I will check. Tks

Old 12-20-2019, 08:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

When you say Eagle ... you mean Hobby eagle ? The A3pro is one of theirs.

Look at the A3 Super ....

https://www.banggood.com/HobbyEagle-...r_warehouse=CN

The L and Pro's are Lite versions and a long way short of the Super series.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:11 AM
sportflyer

I can connect the HobbyEagle Super A3 to a laptop for programming . Do I really need the programming box for the Hobby Eagle A3 Super 3 ? Is it that much simpler ?
Old 12-21-2019, 09:57 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have the A3 Super II .... which many people still prefer. But lets just talk Super whatever version.

Is it worth having the programming box ? YES. And you only need buy one box to do all your Super's. But one full set and then just Gyros as next ..

Why ? In the field - its fly .. land ... connect adjust ... set and fly ... so easy.

In fact I have a few models where its not easy to get cable plugged in - so I have cable permanently plugged in and coil it inside the model - so if needed I can connect.

I only use the PC at home when initially setting up if that.

BUT if you go to Banggood - there are Detrium and so on Gyros that do dual aileron at a lot less cost if you don't need programming.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:42 PM
sportflyer

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I have the A3 Super II .... which many people still prefer. But lets just talk Super whatever version.

Is it worth having the programming box ? YES. And you only need buy one box to do all your Super's. But one full set and then just Gyros as next ..

Why ? In the field - its fly .. land ... connect adjust ... set and fly ... so easy.

In fact I have a few models where its not easy to get cable plugged in - so I have cable permanently plugged in and coil it inside the model - so if needed I can connect.

I only use the PC at home when initially setting up if that.

BUT if you go to Banggood - there are Detrium and so on Gyros that do dual aileron at a lot less cost if you don't need programming.
I use gyros on the rudder of some of the planes that are tricky on take off (ex Spitfire ) . I also use Gyros on all axis in several sport and fun fly planes .
I have used Eagle Tree Guardian , Hobby Eagle A3L, Hitec, Blue light BL-3G . Most complex is the Bluelight but it has the most features however only 3 axis and more expensive than the Hobby Eagle Super 3 . BTW I dislike the blinking light method for gyro setup .

I am looking for cheap one for the ValueHobby Slick 540 Foamy for mainly park flying at local park . You mention Detrum, have you used it ? .It has similar features to the NX-3 but with 6 axis vs 3 axis. I probably dont need 6 axis for this foamy.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:32 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I haven't used the Detrium ... the ones I have and still use are :

P1 - thats very cheap and actually once you get sorted with its programming - works very well.

Orange - As bought off the shelf is rubbish - but once flashed with better open source FW - is actually very good.

Hobby Eagle A3 Super II - My most expensive but I have to say is the best I have ever used and seen. I have pals who use other stabilisers and still the A3 S II is best in my mind.

But there is one mode I never use : AVCS .... I've crashed models trying to master it ... after all the years of stick flying - I just cannot learn to set an attitude ad then let go for stab to continue ... I end up careering all over the sky ...
Old 12-21-2019, 08:53 PM
sportflyer

LOL ! On the planes with gyro, 95% of the time I use HH for take off then switch to rate mode immediately after take off. HH is great assist in certain maneuvers like hover , high alpha flying (harriers) or even knife edge especially on planes that are not designed nor meant for this kind of flying .
Old 12-26-2019, 06:36 PM
sportflyer

I decided to buy a cheap gyro ...the NX-3 for the foamy plane. Will be getting it today.
From what I see in the YouTube videos on setting up this gyro , some have the short side with the connecting pins pointing towards the front, others towards the rear. So no directional preference . Maybe in this servo it does not matter since there are 3 adjustment screws to reverse the gyro deflection if needed. Also since there is no auto leveling or auto hover modes in this gyro just off/rate/HH, I think the gyro can even be mounted sideways ( although not mentioned at all) but in this case the rudder output from receiver should be connected to the elevator input of the gyro and elevator output from RX connected to rudder input of gyro . Does this make any sense?
Old 12-26-2019, 07:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I suggest you download the manual while you wait !!

Normally all Gyros I know require a specific way round ... ie pins forward or pins rearward. This is due to accelerometers more than the gyro axis.

I have looked at the NX-3 often myself ...
Old 12-27-2019, 03:54 AM
sportflyer

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I suggest you download the manual while you wait !!

Normally all Gyros I know require a specific way round ... ie pins forward or pins rearward. This is due to accelerometers more than the gyro axis.

I have looked at the NX-3 often myself ...
Gyro received and installed. No indication of front direction only instruction is to place the gyro with the long side parallel to the fuselage. Anyway its working fine. I think this gyro would work in either direction or even inverted .