War bird for a new(ish) pilot? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

War bird for a new(ish) pilot?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
colby45

Default War bird for a new(ish) pilot?

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the world of r/c planes, but I've been flying a Hobbyzone SuperCub, and a few scratch foamies that I've made and I'm looking to get a new plane and I love the scale appearance of the electric war birds. I feel very comfortable with the high wing trainers, and I want to get into war birds, so I was wondering what would be a good first plane to get? I've heard that the PZ T-28 or T-28 Micro is a good first, and I've also heard good things about the Dynam T-28, but I wanted to get some outside opinions before I bought anything. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I have to give my obligatory promo for the PZ Corsair here. If you're not into the T-28's looks, it's an easy to fly warbird, too.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

The PZ T-28 no question. Then the F4F from PZ - that Wildcat is the bee's knee's.

Mike
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM
colby45

Thanks guys! I think I'll start with the T-28 and probably ending up buying the F4U and the F4F. Their two of my favorite planes. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Ultra-micro planes have many advantages but they are actually twitchier than larger models. So the Parkzone T-28, for example, would be a better 2nd plane than the Parkzone UMX T-28.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by colby45 View Post
Thanks guys! I think I'll start with the T-28 and probably ending up buying the F4U and the F4F. Their two of my favorite planes. Thanks for your suggestions!
I have the PZ-T-28 and she's probably my most reliable plane in the squadron. Keeps coming back for more punishment. The only complaint is the nose gear. I fly off of a grass field and the plastic part that attaches to the servo rod breaks once in a while. Parts are always available. Can't go wrong with this plane ! As easy to fly as your SC.

-Hawk
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
haasjj
Another New Member

Don't forget about the p-51 not the micro, it's a great flying plane.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Forge

Colby,

I second the PZ T-28 full size bird. At first it felt really fast compared to the supercub, but it is a really nice flying plane, and it just floats in at landing time. Fly it on low settings for your first couple of flights, it will run circles around the SC. ...And, it can take a beating and come right back.

Highly recommend it.

Forge
Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
startazz

I'd say go for a T-28 too but i'd go for the Hobbyking one because it has all the hop parts we tend to do with our older PZ warbirds,like adding retracts,lights well you get the point
I'll leave a link at the bottom but out of all my warbirds i'd have to say the T-28 is the one everyone seem to go for when they first start off with warbirds,good luck with the one you do decide to chose and let us know which one you do go for ok.

If you take a look at the reviews tab under the specs for the Hobbyking T-28 you will see a couple of people think the Durafly one is better than his PZ one,he don't mean just because of the added gear on this one or the better price but because of the looks and quality.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html
Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I like the looks of the HK T-28 though I have a PZ version. Retracts? wow USD $135 double wow ! After the next tree gets in the way or when the ground suddenly rises, I know where I'll go to replace it. Reviews are good.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
colby45

Thanks for all the suggestions! Do you feel the the Durafly T-28 would still be a good choice for someone who is pretty new to low wing, scale aircraft? I love the looks and can't beat that price.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
fmw

Of all the warbirds I've owned and flown, this one is the easiest to fly, bar none. Hangar 9 40 size P-51 Sport.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by colby45 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! Do you feel the the Durafly T-28 would still be a good choice for someone who is pretty new to low wing, scale aircraft? I love the looks and can't beat that price.

Colby,

I really do. For me it was easier to fly than my high-wing Airfield Cessna 182. Just give her some expo maybe 30 Ailerons, 30 rudder and 20 elevator. And set her up with dual rates. No big deal though.

-Hawk
Old 02-25-2012, 05:44 AM
colby45

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions! I went ahead and got the PZ T-28. But I will definitely take all the other awesome suggestions into consideration when I'm in the market for warbirds in the future! I haven't been able to fly yet. The weather in the high country of Colorado isn't always so wonderful in February, but once I maiden the T-28 I'll report back with my experiences! Thanks again everyone!

Blue Skies
-Colby
Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Colby,

Can't go wrong. You'll enjoy the T-28 !
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 AM
www.hobbyb.com

The FMS mini warbirds are not a bad choice. The A1 is easy to fly.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 AM
doug_dayboll

I would have to say for a first warbird ...at6 or something around those lines just because the at6 or Harvard in Canada here is a fairly forgiving but unstable enough to teach you how to fly a low wing warbird correctly and let me tell ya if you can fly that with confidence in my opinion you could fly just about any warbird
Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM
colby45

Hey everybody! I finally got to maiden my T-28 about 4 days ago and I have to say it was an awesome choice. I got it up in the air no problems and gained some altitude before experimenting with the controls a little bit as I am not used to ailerons and rudder control. The plane flew like a dream, and I'm still learning the controls but I had no problems landing, and did about 5 take offs and landings before my battery died. Overall and awesome plane. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Great news ! Now this is the part where the addiction takes hold-lol
Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Congrats, Colby! I know a lot of people say their stuff is too expensive, but PZ really makes some good flying planes.

Now I just have to do your batteries and wallet a favor here by reminding you how bad it is for your battery to run it down so far. Time your flights so you finish with around 3.7-3.8v/cell, and they'll be much happier and last much longer. Plus they won't take as long to recharge to go fly again.