Advice on purchases... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Advice on purchases...

Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 PM
r4pt0r

Default Advice on purchases...

i have had no sucess with edfs. too weak batteries or motors. all my planes have only had better glide ratios on full throttle. someone tell me an effective edf, esc, and battery combo to get me in the air. cheap is good. i dont have a plane to put these in, iplan to scratchbuild out of foam once i get components.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

We can't tell you a good system unless you tell us the size/weight of the model. But I'll tell you I recently got a 64mm fan/motor combo from here for my F4D-1:

http://www.rc-electric-jets.com/

I like their combos since they have performance numbers for them already. I was at a loss, since like propellers, the fans can vary, so this made it very easy. An incredible upgrade, but I had to make sure to get the right battery, too. So make sure you get a wattmeter to test your system before you fly it!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM
r4pt0r

well honestly i dont have a model. im not a technical builder. i dont weigh anything, just try to keep the weight low. and i dont know how to use a wattmeter, i just buy batteries that wont fry the esc. tell me a combo of esc battery and edf, and then what range that could power.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM
4stripes

You may not like it but a watt meter is very handy to measure power and help setup an EDF. I don't think there is any way to understand until you get your first EDF and start learning. I had great success with the Phase 3 F-16 in stock form and a 3S 2200mah battery. Get the highest C rating (minimum 30) that you can afford as the higher C rating will translate into power/speed. Older batteries that seem OK in prop planes or even a heli are often too tired in an EDF (nothing can make up for a weak/old battery).
There are other stock combos but the F-16 is fast (fast enough at 75mph) and easy to handlaunch.
Cheers
Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

r4pt0r
Not wishing to be negative but I fear your approach to EDF flying is quite likely to keep on failing.
Unlike many propeller planes a successful EDF really tests the full capabilities of a battery/ESC/motor and airframe set up simply to provide the necessary power to fly so your best option is to buy a ready to go job where everything is already done for you.

With the experience of a successful EDF behind you, you may be able to progress to an 'own' design.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM
bobby1699

try a Phase 3 EF-16 combo. Flys on 3 cell lipos 2250 mah , only needs two servos comes with esc and edf for less than 120.00 . My 8 year old could assemble and fly it. If you can't make this work maybe find some help with your next one..
Old 12-02-2011, 01:43 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

edf......ducted fan
anything behind the fan is DRAG... the more there the more power you lose. if it flops around even worse.
anything in front of the fan cuts down air intake and power.

the faster it spins(kv on the motor) the better the power
BALANCED?.. if it isn't smooth... your loosing power

batteries.. the higher the C rating the better.. but 30c is usually good.

can you post what you have , whe can better tell what is up.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:46 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

for most park flyers a 55mm or 64mm fan set up would fly a smaller foamy.

30-40a esc..1800-2200mah 25c 30c pack.

hobbypartz has combos for 55.009(motor/esc/fan/servos)

and i have used set ups for my profile foamies, and evenmy sons airhog titan convertions.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

If you're buying brand name batteries, you are probably getting burned as I was. The only one I cared for at one time was TP, based on the performance at small sizes that they gave, at the time. Back then, I needed their 480-1320 for my small and micro EDFs. Other top brands turned out to be garbage. I would follow the folks on the threads, and try to get a good "general consensus" idea of what brand to use. I hear that the Gens Ace at HobbyPartz are good batteries, and are cheap.

It's good to hear that you want to build. I built most all my jets. It's nice to show up, and not be yet another person with the same few planes as everyone else. As for power-off glides, I need 300 yards power off to glide. When you find a wing/airfoil that works well, you'll stick with it. I have good performance from GWS ME109 replacement wings on 2 of my jets.

One thing to think about, is that a 55mm fan will perform better than a 64mm fan in a small jet, if the 64 is not properly fed or ducted. I've made this mistake before, and gained significantly better performance from the smaller fan, even when taking different motors/kv, etc into account.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	flitzer_53_comp.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	155292   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW_250_30.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	155293