Well this certainly does not help our cause - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Well this certainly does not help our cause

Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Well this certainly does not help our cause

A 26-year-old Massachusetts man has been arrested and accused of plotting to destroy the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol with large remote-controlled aircraft filled with explosives.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...on-us-capitol/
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

crap!!!i just saw the news before opening your post and knew it was going to be the same.

glad they busted the a..hole and hope they down play his ability to do the damage he claimed he was going to do.

lets hope for the best.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Seems all the dismissal of the threat of RC being used in terrorist activities was a tad pre-mature.

This is a bummer. I think we all knew it would not be an RC Modeler who pulled this type of stunt, but remember all the dismissal recently when the contact letters from the FAA to Model clubs were going around? Seemed they were on the page after all.

Hmm... recent post here sure is questionable.....

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64070
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

But honestly... It looks like he was planning on using EDF parkflyers. I know how a couple of ounces of overweight can effectively ground some of my parkflyers, especially EDF ones. I don't really see how this guys was hoping to load any useful amount of explosives on his plane. He'd certainly not "blow up the Pentagon" as the FoxNews story stated. I doubt he could do more damage than a cracked brick and some soot to the structure itself. The fact that he tried doesn't mean that he would have succeeded.

Is this good for our hobby? Absolutely not. The fact that FoxNews is blowing this up as someone "trying to blow up the Pentagon" is definitely not good. People are now going to believe it's possible to do that with RC planes.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I doubt that was the plane he would have used, probably just a file photo fox had.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Just saw this on ABC news, link to their info:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/feds-f...ry?id=14626433

The planes they showed were EDF, but does say much about what planes per se in the article or on the TV report other than the TV report said" aircraft half the size of a compact car".

I agree the amount of real damage he could do sounds pretty limited but This will draw a ton of bad press for rc flight.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

someone would need something like this to do what is discussed in this story.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	big cub.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	153374  
Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Seems all the dismissal of the threat of RC being used in terrorist activities was a tad pre-mature.

This is a bummer. I think we all knew it would not be an RC Modeler who pulled this type of stunt, but remember all the dismissal recently when the contact letters from the FAA to Model clubs were going around? Seemed they were on the page after all.

I helped a guy in Florida with a similar requirement for a control for an ESC. He was setting up an electric turbine on wheels for a miniature dragstrip contest. (He wound up winning)

As for the guy with the 100 Amp requirement, don't know his intents, but without a radio control system on his motor
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Dennis, just so we are all on the same page, I was not thinking that the questions you were helping with were cause for alarm, but the example of how some questions like that should be looked at from both sides of this new coin.

example... . western educated, unfamilliar with RC, not wanting/needing to follow the normal ESC routine, specific purpose stated.

Just food for thought, not "HE'S A TERRORIST!!"
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

call me paranoid,but anyone asking for help to power a plane with free flight/non rc,or says"teach me to fly but i don't need to learn how to land should be ignored here at wattflyer.........

i don't mean the small freeflyers,just the folks who sound questionable as to their projects.

i live 20 min.s away from manhatten and the loss of flying sites will put more than half my fleet up for sale. gotta have space to fly anything weighing more than 5lbs.

this news has me worried friends,not good at all for us.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Dennis, just so we are all on the same page, I was not thinking that the questions you were helping with were cause for alarm, but the example of how some questions like that should be looked at from both sides of this new coin.

example... . western educated, unfamilliar with RC, not wanting/needing to follow the normal ESC routine, specific purpose stated.

Agreed:
Its sad what those terrorists have done to us. Now we've got to be suspicious of anything and everything.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

sorry for the quick double post,but another thing i hope no one does here at the wf is say how it could be done....[bill ,no more pictures of beautiful cubs]those are just for us good ol pilots.

one of the funniest Saturday night live skits done back in the early day was when we ,the USA invaded someplace [Grenada?] with our armed forces by beach,the news crews were on the beach filming during the invasion like we were supposed to be surprising the enemy....so snl played it up with solderers in full gear being filmed by donut eating news crews drinking coffee holding out microphones asking question during the invasion...lol

the next skit mocked how stupid news reporters questions could be to a general answering. questions like "if the enemy wants to hurt our troops ,how would they do it" or" how many areas are weak in protection and where would they be" so on and so on.

snl then mocked a field report of a secret location where a rocket missed its mark.they said " we're reporting at a secret location that was just missed by a rocket that landed north of here by 6 clicks from this location",and a street sign and the towns name on a fire truck is in the picture also.so much for secret..lol

so let learn from snl and realize news reporters are to dumb to not realize they cause much of this countries terror. i can only hope some other more news worthy item comes up to allow this one to be droped for a hotter story.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

and here I thought you were trying to cause trouble,hehe

You want food for thought

"Ban the cataloupe"!!!,,,,"Ban the cantaloupe"!!!!
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-can...ry?id=14622507
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

What amazes me on the tone of the story is that the fact that the guy managed to buy several fully automatic AK47 type weapons, and get hold of grenades and 25 pounds of C4 explosive is hardly given airtime. What the story focuses on is that you can buy a Sabre toy airplane on Amazon for $200!.. shock horror

What sort of world are we living in where machine guns are accepted, C4 can be obtained and hardly raises an eyebrow, yet toy planes are seen as potential weapons of mass destruction? i wonder; if he had planned a car bomb would the same focus be given on how easily available cars are?

There again what do you expect from Fox
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Usepta

You guys are too funny ...
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
r4pt0r

[media]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eeqyYoIKZg0/TgjIxS_K0kI/AAAAAAAABsk/ngXVI-cmCvY/s1600/hawkward.jpg[/media]
Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Yes, all it takes is one Bad Apple to mess up our Beloved Hobby, Glad they got that Guy, and I am glad its only a ISOLATED INCIDENT
Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
What amazes me on the tone of the story is that the fact that the guy managed to buy several fully automatic AK47 type weapons, and get hold of grenades and 25 pounds of C4 explosive is hardly given airtime. What the story focuses on is that you can buy a Sabre toy airplane on Amazon for $200!.. shock horror

What sort of world are we living in where machine guns are accepted, C4 can be obtained and hardly raises an eyebrow, yet toy planes are seen as potential weapons of mass destruction? i wonder; if he had planned a car bomb would the same focus be given on how easily available cars are?

But he bought that stuff from the FBI. Terrorists buying weapons from our government isn't news...
Old 09-29-2011, 01:54 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Just saw this on ABC news, link to their info:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/feds-f...ry?id=14626433

The planes they showed were EDF, but does say much about what planes per se in the article or on the TV report other than the TV report said" aircraft half the size of a compact car".

I agree the amount of real damage he could do sounds pretty limited but This will draw a ton of bad press for rc flight.

The sad thing is, they can take a statement like that, which sounds impressive, but really means nothing. Take an 8' long compact car, half that is 4'. Not an overly impressive sized rc airplane. But the numbers are still accurate.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
swimmer

I was flying high power rockets a few years ago when the BATF decided ammonium percholrate was an explosive. Years of litigation and expense finally ended in a court finding in favor the Tripoli Rocketry Association's that it was not. We certainly do not want the government intervening in our hobby but it may be too late. Once they make up their mind there is something afoot they have the $$$, lawyers and in most instances, courts on their side. AMA may have their work cut out for them.

Allan
Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
What has Fox said that the rest of them have not?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Agreed, in this case, having now seen other reports, Fox are no worse than anyone else. But it still annoys when the fact that bad people can get large quantities of C4 explosive, grenades and machine guns is only worth a fleeting comment, but the fact that you can buy a toy airplane on Amazon is reported as if it were something to be deeply worried about

It just makes no sense at all.

Steve
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Yeah, this seemed to hit the major network news channels in the USA. And as jetplaneflyer noted, the fact that this guy apparently had a few AK47's didn't raise an eyebrow.

The news on the NBC channel showed a little foamy jet model that would have a real problem taking off with a half pound of unauthorized material on board.

As this thread shows, its all about image on our hobby. We can have 100,000 people regularly flying radio controlled models, and most people don't care, outside of the noise for the engine powered models. We even have a big problem trying to get the news media to show any interest in our hobby.

But just do something like that guy in the East Coast, and it hits the network news.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Well the AMA has responded:
http://cl.exct.net/?qs=ea29db65a6d78...509068860609b3

MIke
Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...5&postcount=48
Take care dear friends
Yours Hank

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15608 seconds with 13 queries