Greg Covey's review of the BNB Products Digital Power Recorder - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Greg Covey's review of the BNB Products Digital Power Recorder

Old 01-31-2006, 08:53 PM
admin
Administrator

Default Greg Covey's review of the BNB Products Digital Power Recorder

Read Greg Covey's review of the BNB Products Digital Power recorder. This neat unit tracks and records the actual in-use performance data of your electric setup.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=634

Feel free to discuss the product in this thread as well!

enjoy

marc
Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 PM
jrb

Asked/suggested that they have a “real time” display capability when I 1st saw info about this device.

It would then be able to replace (buy instead of) a Whatmeter!

Could be on a PC/notebook, or even a little LCD device.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Bret

Default Live real-time Graphing and RPM Sensor is now available

BNB Products now has the RPM sensor available (DPR-RPM). You can view the retail package, here... http://www.bnbproducts.com/pages/purchase.htm . The firmware and software have also been upgraded to versions 2.00. These new versions also allow for LIVE real-time graphing and meter with the DPR. We are currently running an introductory price for the DPR-RPM for $5.95. If you currently have a DPR with older firmware version, and order the DPR-RPM during the promotion, state in the "comment box" to hold for upgrade and request an RMA return number. We will issue you a credit for the default $6.00 shipping back through Paypal right away. When we receive your DPR, we will upgrade it and ship everything back to you together.

Thanks,
Bret
www.bnbproducts.com
Old 02-18-2006, 10:28 PM
max-nix
max-nix

Question Rpm Sensor

Bret,how is the RPM sensor implimented? How are the magnets used?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bob F
Old 02-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Bret

Here is a PDF file of the manual that comes with the DPR-RPM.

Thanks,
Bret
www.bnbproducts.com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manual DPR-RPM.pdf (46.1 KB, 176 views)
Old 02-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

Originally Posted by Bret View Post
BNB Products now has the RPM sensor available (DPR-RPM). You can view the retail package, here... http://www.bnbproducts.com/pages/purchase.htm . The firmware and software have also been upgraded to versions 2.00. These new versions also allow for LIVE real-time graphing and meter with the DPR. We are currently running an introductory price for the DPR-RPM for $5.95. If you currently have a DPR with older firmware version, and order the DPR-RPM during the promotion, state in the "comment box" to hold for upgrade and request an RMA return number. We will issue you a credit for the default $6.00 shipping back through Paypal right away. When we receive your DPR, we will upgrade it and ship everything back to you together.

Thanks,
Bret
www.bnbproducts.com
Hi Bret!

I love using the DPR 50...

The RPM feature sounds great. I ordered two of them (INV69953X5525981T) and now I can use the temperature probes with the RPM feature and get a complete package of real time data... When I get the RMA #, I assume that you only want me to send the DPR unit without cables, etc., and with the connectors on it.

Will my DPR be replaced or will you use the same DPR, and just add to it? I assume the upgrading will be adding a place on my DPR to connect the RPM prob cable.

Just asking, as I would like to keep the Astro connectors if the DPR will be replaced.

Will I be able to download the upgraded software version, or will you send another CD?

Thanks,

HGF
Old 02-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Bret

HGF,
Thank you for the kind words!
Once you receive an RMA number, only return the DPR to us. We will upgrade the firmware on your DPR and return it along with the DPR-RPM. You can leave the connectors attached. We will not change the physical properties of the DPR. The DPR-RPM connects to the same 4-pin connector as the other probes. You will not be able to use the temp probes and DPR-RPM at the same time...maybe in future versions? You can currently download the new 2.00 software and it will work on all DPR firmware versions. However, if you select the "Live-Graphing" mode (or other new feature), it will tell you that firmware 2.00 is required for this. Here is the link for the software/manual downloads...
http://www.bnbproducts.com/pages/downloads.htm

Thanks,
Bret
www.bnbproducts.com
Old 02-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

Thanks for the new version 2.0 software, Bret...

Can't believe your quick customer service. I've already received receipts and the RMA return number and the form. Plus the new ver 2.0 software. I also appreciated your refund for shipping charges. And, all of this on a holiday weekend!

You wanted my model type, it is the DPR-50 model.

I'd like to revisit the RPM options discussion... as you mentioned you can't run the temp probe and the RPM probs at the same time. I'm sure that you will work this out so it is possible to do both at the same time in the future, but what would happen if you would cut off one the double temp probs and attach the RPM prob? You would then have both a temp prob and a RPM prob attached to the one DPR connection. Could you then just make adjustments to the computer software? The temp probs already operate independently, as they give separate readouts.

It's just an idea...

By the way for those of you converting to the new software, when you download and install the new 2.0 software and it asks if you want to have a icon made, answer yes, as the old shortcut icon will not work.

Thanks again for the great customer service, Bret...

HGF
Old 03-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

[quote=Heidelberg Germany Flyer;46654]

...The RPM feature sounds great. I ordered two of them (INV69953X5525981T) quote]

Hi Bret!

It's been some time since I sent my unit in for the upgrade. Can you check on it for me?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 AM
trivejb

Default DPR-50 Voltage reading inaccurate??

I was using my DPR-50 to monitor in real time the charging of a 3S 2200mah LIPO. The voltage that it showed was .2 lower that what my DVM and AVM showed. I am using a Hobbico MKll with a LBA6 connected to the charge harness. The DPR was connected to the discharge leads of the battery. As an example the DPR would read 11.73v and the DVM reading at the same terminals would be 11.94v. Since my DVM and AVM agree It appears that the DPR is reading low. Placing the battery in a plane with the DPR installed it recorded a starting voltage of 11.99 while the DVM recorded 12.35. Other tests have showed the same results.
Has anyone experenced this same problem? Any suggestions?

Last edited by trivejb; 10-02-2006 at 02:00 AM.