Radian - a new plane from Parkzone - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Originally Posted by phillipmorris View Post
Thermals are fun but caution, easy to lose the visual, nothing like it tho..BEST ..<>..

True, I spent probably 10 minutes or so at the same altitude, about 800' or so thinking wow this is fun not using the motor and staying right there. Then all at once I'm about 400' fett or so higher, and or field is inside the Tulsa International flight pattern if the winds are just right. Otherwise they don't get closer than about 2 miles to the field. But, for some reason yesterday with a real light north north easterly wind they flying aound the field. Anyway it was a complete blast as we used to say when I was a kid.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
simibill
General Factotum

Default Crummy connectors

I just got my Radian and when I tried to tighten the little screw to secure the elevator pushrod, it broke off. I can't imagine why they put these things on in the first place. I see the replacement parts show a Dubro type micro connector which should be much better.

Anybody else have this problem?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 AM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

What kind of range do you have on the AR500 RX?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:55 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

As far as you can see the plane.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

I was flying the other day cruising around in no wind, would fly up about 800ft or so and let her float back down to 150' there abouts. About the fourth time I started to run the motor up and off flies the canopy and I hear this thunking sound. Bring her on down and glide in for as pretty a landing as I've ever made walk over and the shaft has pulled out of the motor, look inside and the back of the motor bell is cracked. So, my Radian is down for a while until I can get a replacement motor from Parkzone or Eflite whoever it has to come from. Thinking as Dave LHS owner said, I may need to look into upgrading to a 480 with a metal bell. Sure put a damper on all my fun for the summer.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

If you bought it from the LHS, then you should take it to him for warranty service.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

He told me they won't do warranty work though a LHS, that the owner has to mail it in. He said, "they won't send a replacement to the LHS."
Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

You ask Horizon. And if they tell you that is the case, then you tell the LHS that you will be doing business on-line from now on. What good is he if he is going to make you ship out a defective plane that you purchased from him?

My LHS handles warranty issues locally. That is why I send all the new pilots there.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Yeah I am calling Horizon this morning as soon as they open. If they say take it to him, you betcha he is going to see me today as soon as he opens the door motor in hand. Thanks for the headsup though.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Spoke with Scott from Horizon they said mail the motor in to them LHS can do nothing to help with service.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Gads thats a bummer, my canopy came off so many times I've lately elected to simply leave it off, heck your looking at the ship from the underside, should perhaps simply band the canopy etc to lock it in, but I don't miss it at all, again flew off too many times for me...BEST..<>..
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Well I contaced Horizen told them what happened it was on a thurs i emailed well on the next week wed i think got email back saying they would send me a new prop. I belive it was the next day or two days got another email saing would be shiped. well took about 2 weeks but fnally got new prop in mail. new prop and spinner. I would have been happier with two props and no spinner but oh well Thanks horizen just wish you would update the spinner and prop and send everyone owns one one for half price or something. and anyone lse who broke old one one for free or something... its better then nothing I am still flying the one I mod for it. you just got to bump the throttle to get the prop not pocking down big deal sometimes not so much others.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:17 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Mega Lift today...time around 2 PM and was catching medium light lift even trailed some low flying hawks, great fun...towards the end of the rides it arrived, the big Kahuna, huge lift, up to a spec and then some, and kept going up, am use to huge lift but this was enormous...simply did very tight circling and it held only for a moment then up again, so knife edge circling was working for a few seconds, but up she goes some more getting out of visual, only catching flashing glimpses, forced to downstick, finally caught it in view and slowly brought it home....again ran into numerous increadible lift, however this one was awsome...BEST ..<>..

Continues next day Sunday, winds at last calm, even before 9 AM great medium to light lift goin on, simply circled the field for 10 minutes of low elevation, then up later and hit countless medium lifts, careful to avoid the dead zones of negative, flew exactly 1 hour of pure fun, decent altitude at times, loads of circling, wish we had more conditions like this !!

Last edited by phillipmorris; 08-23-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Got my Radian this weekend.

I was flying in an Eastern Soaring League thermal duration soaring contest (no motors) all weekend. www.flyesl.com

After the competition was over on Sunday I put the Radian together. I did a hand throw to test the balance. It just floated out of my hand, so I hit the power and took it up at about 2/3 throttle. Flew great!

OK, I am offically a Radian owner and pilot.

Thanks Parkzone for making a great little electric glider.

If any of your Radian owners get hooked on soaring and decide you want to give pure gliders a try, let me know. I would be happy to help you out any way I can.

Last edited by AEAJR; 08-24-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Have a Multiplex on the shelf, will likely be doing the pure sailplane and hi-start on that one later this year....

Note on my Radian had a recent issue the elevator missbehaved and shuttered to the point unfit to fly....believing it was simply the servo replaced it but same problem, so now checked the transmitter and the pot on the elevator was failing, changed to another DX5 transmitter and it all cleared up..so back in buisness now ready to fly...BEST ..<>..
Old 08-24-2009, 01:00 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Send the DX5 back for warranty repair/replacement.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I just got the parts for my Radian today. It took along time to get here. I almost thought of buying a different brand of folding propeller but they finally came as well my new canopy.
I'm building a Great Planes Siren Elite kit at the moment. It's been on hold until I got servo extensions for the wing servo's.
I got them today a long with 4 servo's, I have to wait for R/E servo's.
I bought it so I don't have to charge batteries all the time so I can fly all day if the weather is favourable.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I finally got some flying weather today ,it's been nothing but winter for months.
Got up this morning and there was no wind so I charged up the battery.
Checked that the Radian was still working properly after my last crash .
Tossed it out in the hay crop just in case it decided to fall out of the sky again ,this time it had a nice cushion of tall grass.
I caught a little bit of lift until the wind started blowing again and had to bring it back in early because of erran's.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:14 AM
eghershey

Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Yup - this thing is sooooo much fun, and easy to fly!

Yesterday, in a small field, I was afraid the gravel might scratch the foam, so I was able to glide it toward me slowly at 10% throttle to slow it down, and flew it right into my right hand..

Didn't even touch the ground... Perfect "hand landing" on the 6th flight ever!!!

All I need is some good paint, some stencils, and stickers, and you'll see the San Diego Chargers Glider!!!

And I'm going to add a 2100mah battery..
Gotta ask: why would you want a battery that big? I'm flying it with an 800mah 3 cell. Enough power to climb at a 45 degree angle and the small amount of lighter weight from a 1300mah battery seems to let it glide even better. I still fly for an hour or so with decent thermals.
I assume your using the glider as a sport plane too thus needing more battery?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:57 AM
eghershey

BTW: Has anyone added flaps to their glider to facilitate landing??? Sometimes you feel you need to tie a rock to the plane to make it come back down and land
Old 09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by eghershey View Post
BTW: Has anyone added flaps to their glider to facilitate landing??? Sometimes you feel you need to tie a rock to the plane to make it come back down and land
Flaps would actually increase lift at lower speed. Spoilers would reduce lift.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Charlie Watts

I am getting my Radian today from my LHS and have a question before I assemble it. The manual I downloaded says to use the tape provided to secure the horizontal stabilizer, but I read somewhere on a forum to also use some CA on it. CA being brittle, is it possible Parkzone want's that play, or is it just a bad idea of the designers that is weak and needs reinforcing?
Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM
lilleyen

Originally Posted by mrsand View Post
snipped
I tryed to reglue rear of the fuse with M-CA...doesn't want to stick together...don/t know what else to do. Very unhappy

Mrsand
Gorilla glue-works great
My fuselage is about 30% gorilla glue now:o
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Charlie Watts

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Charlie Watts

ADDENDUM: Is all Gorilla Glue foam safe for the Radian?

Quick Reply: Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14439 seconds with 13 queries