Radian - a new plane from Parkzone - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

The story I heard, the owner had got his plane out of the car and was walking to the flying area. He was looking at other plane's flying around when he walked into a fence. He looked around being embarrassed thought he had not be caught, he continued on.
He flew his and during this time the propeller broke. He blamed the failure on poor quality not knowing that he had been seen.
Someone pointed out "what the failure could have been".
I will not name ,names or place's because I wish to continue in this hobby and don't want to end up in a shallow grave by the roadside.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:43 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

So, on an upbeat note, if anyone would like to watch a bit of raw flycamone2 & Radian action from earlier this year, feel free to check this out - *WARNING* it is ~128MB in size.

http://www.mirafiori.com/~isaac/rc/radian_2_7_2009.wmv

My prop is good to the go.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Don't know why all these folks would band together to create an urban legend over a broken prop.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017613
My opinion - the Radian prop is not great but is adequate. No argumentt here are better props including CF.

The reason for the thread is that people enjoy modifying an enhancing and customizing their planes (prop, motor, control horns, radio, paint)
Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I think I've figured it out.
If you have a Radian prop and belong to Wattflyer > it won't break.
OTOH if you belong to RCGroups > DUCK!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
I think I've figured it out.
If you have a Radian prop and belong to Wattflyer > it won't break.
OTOH if you belong to RCGroups > DUCK!
I'll post back in 1 year and we'll see if your sarcasm is warranted if I am still on the original prop....
Old 06-27-2009, 07:08 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Hey, I don't even HAVE a Radian. It's a joke.
I've just got 2 buddies that do so have some stick time on them, another couple with EZ Gliders and doing my 'research' on which way to go, if I do. I like the Radian. Looks like a great tool.
I think it's probably a legitimate problem. Did you read through that thread?

ALL planes have SOME sort of issue and stuff like this that hits a pretty good price point HAS to have some issues. It's classic of PZ/HZ to almost NEVER fix an issue like this once product has hit the street. They don't even acknowledge there is a problem. There are numerous examples in their various entry lines (throttle slider, ACT, Cub struts, battery box, crappy chargers, etc).

BTW-one of those Radians did a full throttle take-off into the wind, flipped over and did a nasty nose in from ~ 40 feet. I was 10 feet away so I got the full close up of the impact. It did NOT break the prop (did break a whole lotta other stuff) and as far as I know that prop is still in service. I thought the whole power train would be shot.

You could argue that the motor selected for this plane is actually too large and powerful for the application, needing down elevator for full throttle. This is a bit of a handful for newbie sailplane pilots, a group the plane is targeted for. I'm sure HZ has a truckload of them for Trojans and Corsairs so just decided to use it.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:06 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

I concur on the motor. At full throttle it requires a lot of down elevator to keep it from looping. Better for beginner to lauch and climb at 50-75% throttle.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I think it has something to do with angle of the wing and the angle of the motor.
The wing has a positive amount of "angle of attack" and the thrust line of the motor is a negitive angle.
I believe it is meant to be a beginner's model.
If you've got a spare $30 get a DVD called "performance tuning for glider's" from Radio/Carbon Art.
There is quite alot of information on wing incidence,tail decalge etc. It's well worth it!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Big Bird

Default Rudder controled by Aileron circuit

Hi, I've just joined this thread and read all 108 comments previously posted. They are all very good thoughts worthy of consideration and I don't really have anything to add except regarding the question about the rudder control being with the throttle control (left transmitter lever) rather than on the right with the elevator. In fact, the plane comes with the rudder servo plugged into the airleron socket on the receiver since there are no airlerons and the rudder turns the plane as ailerons would. Works just fine. Don't need to rewire anything. And, this plane needs no airlerons for what it is best at. This plane's specialty is not barrel rolls, inverted loops, inverted flight, hanging on the prop, nor any other of those high powered, high speed crazy stunts, although it does have the capability and power to do all but the barrel rolls (no ailerons.) There are dozens of planes much better than this one for that. This is a very unique plane, and my very favorite of all I've flown, for just sending up with about 20-30 seconds of 1/2-3/4 power then lying down under the shade of a tree and watch it soar. I can't think of anything more relaxing. It's about the cheapest therapy I can imagine and takes me far from the maddening crowd for those portions of an hour that I just lay there gazing into the sky and following this huge bird, that I am attached to and with every second, float on the warm breeze. Wow! What a trip.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I've got a mode one transmitter so the set up for flying the Radian is elevator on the left stick and throttle, rudder on the right.
I think it work's good, most of the input when the throttle is on ,is the elevator too keep it from stalling or looping which hasn't happened to me yet.
Someone has pointed out before that's it's not made for aerobatic's, it's for thermaling.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:04 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

well it happened to me I went to fly yesterday morning got the plane put together pluged in battery walked out threw it and slowley running motor up, i bearly got to about 75% thottle and heard a POP and seen canopy fly off, it was only about 5 feet in front of me. i turned and landed and seen as coming toward me half of the one prop was gone..... glad everyone else are holding up i have been extra carfull with the prop knowing of the issue.

I emailed horizen yesterday I will let you guys know what they said when and if they get back to me.

I had already modified some old blades from my dads old glider to fit my stock spinner so it fly again. about the same as stock i plane to get grupner props for it
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

Check that the propeller is spinning straight and true. I found my motor mount was broken.Mine flipped the canopy off a few times before the blade broke.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Perhaps some of the issue here is fasten that canopy, mine has flown off more than once, several times seeing something flutter down from the sky, and another time yet to find the cover...likely the prop broke making contact with the canopy...fastening it down should take care of this...my older Radian is at last showing abuse so ordered the PNP...should arrive today or Friday...been along time since flying the glider, really miss it.....BEST ..<>...

My presently favored fleet:

MCX
Hirobo SRB Quark
Blade 400
Radian
Toy S008 as S Zero Zero 8...amazing $30 heli, Aero Ace of the Heli's ???
Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by phillipmorris View Post
Perhaps some of the issue here is fasten that canopy, mine has flown off more than once, several times seeing something flutter down from the sky, and another time yet to find the cover...likely the prop broke making contact with the canopy...fastening it down should take care of this...my older Radian is at last showing abuse so ordered the PNP...should arrive today or Friday...been along time since flying the glider, really miss it.....BEST ..<>...

My presently favored fleet:

MCX
Hirobo SRB Quark
Blade 400
Radian
Toy S008 as S Zero Zero 8...amazing $30 heli, Aero Ace of the Heli's ???

um the canopy was knocked off by the prop for whatever reason. my canopy was on, it did have a magnet come oose on the ground about the 2nd flight i CA'ed it so it wouldnt move again.

been flying for 20 years 20 of those in electric not new to this the stock prop is flimsy and unsafe I am still waiting to hear from HH.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I've been flying for 30 years but abit of vaca inbetween, my favored plane at the start was the 2 meter Top Cat... marveled at the heavy Sailair..hi...just kidding abit here , but seriously the prop isn't the best by far, tho I've yet to experience any issues with my Radian over a year...wouldn't be suprised if some props were defective...many posted on simply replacing them with much better props...something to be aware and watch..<>..

Friend of mine is also flying the Radian, no prop problems...

Still the Radian is an amazing glider out of the box, I'm impressed..<>..

Pssst, .049 engine, experienced more than one finger nip, now that was dangerous, again kidding..don't take heart...Only The Best ..<>..
Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
well it happened to me I went to fly yesterday morning got the plane put together pluged in battery walked out threw it and slowley running motor up, i bearly got to about 75% thottle and heard a POP and seen canopy fly off, it was only about 5 feet in front of me. i turned and landed and seen as coming toward me half of the one prop was gone..... glad everyone else are holding up i have been extra carfull with the prop knowing of the issue.

I emailed horizen yesterday I will let you guys know what they said when and if they get back to me.

I had already modified some old blades from my dads old glider to fit my stock spinner so it fly again. about the same as stock i plane to get grupner props for it
Any chance you were able to find the piece of the prop that broke off. Would be great if someone could post a pic of a failed prop.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

The props certainly not the best made by far, perhaps the best advice is to replace them....Flew my PNP stock this morning, mangaged to graze the fence, in a practice field, bit of size 2 blocks by 1 block, no harm tho, moved the lightly tacked receiver slightly..lucky...we had calm conditions and was a treat to see it glide around, been sometime since flying this amazing glider...took a few more landings to zero it at my feet...

Have noticed during hand launches on the earlier Radian flights, sometimes one half of the blade opens up late and snaps quickly, just a guess but might be a clue on whats going on here during some of the failures...intersting to know if they all break around the same areas...pics would certainly help...<>.

Just a note, flew mine without the canopy, will either tape or band it on in the future flights, just in a hurry on the maiden PNP flight..<>..I also had my share of canopy dislodging during past flights, wouldn't rely on the magnets...happened too many occasions..<>..

Still its a great bird, love it..<>..not unusual for many of the RTF'S to have some kind of issues, keeping costs down..<>..

BEST ..<>..
Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

I thought I responsed but guess not, No have no glue where the broke piece flew to it could be dangerous if you was on a flight line and had broke could hit someone. i was at a private feild when it happend.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Well damn, a TX failure crashed my buddy's Radian yesterday.
The buddy box/bind toggle switch STUCK ON, he thought I had it and I didn't:
DX6i Bind/Buddy toggle failure/sticking

He's going out of town for a couple weeks and is lousy at repair so I've got it to piece back together.

Any of you had the motor apart? It seemed easiest to take all the electric out for the repair as the area just behind the nose was broken off. I spun the motor by hand and it clicked and had a small catch in the same spot. Inside I found the stator wire covered with something that looks like dried specs of white Gorilla Glue and there are rubbing marks on the magnets. Stator does not appear to be hitting. Bearings spin fine and clean so I think it's crap in the motor.

Getting that large collet nut off was a REAL chore. Grub screw came out fine but it galled the shaft and the burr made it hang up.

Then I noticed the tail boom is crooked in the last 1/3 by the tail feathers. It bends about 3-5 degrees laterally. I had not noticed this before. It did not seem to affect flight. I'm pretty sure this was not caused by the crash. It just springs back when straightened or even over straightened by hand. It's pretty flexible.

Nope-did not break the prop. Nicked the very tip just a little. It's quite thin there.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Fulanito_uk

HI All,

Put this little report in the beginners section, but would also like to share it with you guys! (seeing as you are the guys guilty for me buying this bird!!)

Firstly a big hello from London, I?d like to thank every one who writes constructive threads here real useful!

Ok so my experience was limited to a few flights last summer with a bungee Fling which I bought second hand and well although it was good and no crashes it didn?t stay up very long.. And I was feeling it was a slow controlled fall rather than a flight?

So I bought the Parkzone Radian for this Summer, read good reviews here and bonus it came pre built! Did the finishing last night which took me all of about 30 minutes (I did it rather slowly and carefully). Went to my local field this morning, my dad decided he wanted a walk so decided to come along (he being an Ex Air force pilot) was a little intrigued I guess.. well did all the ground tests (I have to say all the documentaries about the moon landings that are being aired at the moment due to the anniversary did make the maiden flight that bit more exciting, I guess some of you guys will know what I mean).

Smoked a good luck cigarette, and asked my father to hand launch it? While I was at the controls? 1?2?.3?.. I guess 80% throttle into the light breeze and bingo the thing really flew gaining great altitude cut the motor off after about 20 seconds to trim it and see the response rates all great a little trim on the elevators is all I did.. After this was done gave it more juice and up she went again?. Very impressed with my flight brought it down after a 15 minute mission with two burst of motor one on take off one longer just after the post take off trimming.

Then the second flight much the same as the first one just getting used to the plane added a few loops to this one?

The third was awesome.. Changed the battery and then launched several 20 second bursts of motor got me amazingly high.. A little worried as the plane glided with no indication that it was getting any lower and as it was quite high and gliding nice and slow could hardly make out the orientation.. So had to dive it quite a bit to lose alt and fly it a little more comfortably (due to my inexperience haha got a little nervous to say the least? lucky it didn?t show!). And finally landed it about 40 Minutes later and only a few feet from where we were standing, which finished the flight nicely!!

All I can say was I am a very very happy parkzone customer, I had zero flight time with an e-glider or any kind of simulator practice and very limited time on the bungee lunched fling, so I can confirm that the Radian was a great starter plane for me and can?t see why I would change it in the future! Not sure if I was lucky, or my little experience on the fling taught me well but I have never used any R/C Sims and am totally self taught basically just reading through the great threads on this forum, I not saying I?m any kind of top gun, and I?m sure you guys would beat the pants off me? But I think I am at the level where I can have great fun flying with out being too nervous and looking forward to learning more and hopefully gain hours of experience this summer?

I?m going to be busy for the rest of this weekend? but I?m sure you can guess what I?m doing next weekend!!!

Thanks for reading and keep writing those great threads so people like me can fly with less chances of crashing!
________
vapir no2

Last edited by Fulanito_uk; 01-23-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:51 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Welcome to Wattflyer. I cucur. Radian is a very well behaved plane and could be used by a beginner providng there is an adequately large field for landing.

Flew the Radian this morning but there was a lot of wind so I spent more time "hovering" than in forward flight.

Clint
Old 07-04-2009, 03:43 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Fulanito uk

Very impressed with your handling the Radian, frequent newbies attempts with zero rc flying is overcontrol and zinging the glider into the turf, or rollercoaster etc...

Gliders are an excellent starter ship, I have many atime given the controls to an intrested onlooker only to have them take to it like a duck in water, rest of us take a beating, hi.....

Welcome to Wattflyer and looking forward to more reports ...

Radian flew late last night, not alot of lift but was up well over 30 minutes to the point my passenger complained of the lengthy flight, experienced the slightest lift even tho cloudy and was calm, really enjoyed the ride, had another 30 minutes left in the battery but had to pack it in. How can anyone dislike this bird..

BEST ..<>...
Old 07-04-2009, 09:59 PM
ILVSMOG

I've been flying my Radian for the last two weeks and have about 6 flights on her already. I purchased this plan thinking I'd just "try it out" and didn't want to get too financially committed to a sailplane. After a half dozen flight, I have to say I'm very impressed, especially for the price. I'm typically a 3D guy and thought I'd be bored out of my scull with this plane, but it's a blast! I don't care for foam planes, but this one seems adequately durable and has more than enough power and control authority for its intended flight envelope. My only squaks so far are the wing mounting; I'm afraid after a couple dozen trips to the field and back the wear and tear of being assembled and disassembled will start to cause fittment problems, and I think it could use a speed brake of some type, which I may mess with trying to install myself. Then again, that problem may be more related to my sailplane-newbie skills. All-in-all I have to say I'm very pleased and I think this is an awesome little sailplane, especially at its price point!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

As with most RTF are always mods suggested etc, the Radian will do well out of the box, my old Radian did show some wear eventually where the wings mount but still held rather well, serious flyers that put them thru the paces example at contesting usually tape the wings and is the normal procedure, do this for added security...

Most that ever happened on my old ones, with winds or doing more aggressive manuvers was a slight wing separation showed, but nothing alarming...should hold up fine....my recent PNP Radian was such a snug fit at the start took several minutes to get it to finally fit as so new..everythings great now...

Sure for many its fun to do mods, I'm always amazed how well so many do out of the box, and this is one of them...real treat is to find that thermal, where the Radian really shines...have fun...BEST ..<>...

Pssst..I actually have a new set of wings, thought they would have breakdown issues as well and perhaps bad dings or even breakage etc, all the original wings todate held up quite well, new ones still boxed nearing 2 years, hi....<>..
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

I thought the Radian was released in October 2008?!

Quick Reply: Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11208 seconds with 11 queries