New Guy NEEDS HELP!! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

New Guy NEEDS HELP!!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
ohcop72

Default New Guy NEEDS HELP!!

About 3 years ago I bought a Dragonfly 22E 3-D Aerobatic heli (Having No Previous Exp with RC Helicopters). Right out of the box the heli would not lift off, smelled burning and realized my main rotor gear was shredded. Got a new one, put it on tried to left off and busted tail rotor. Put it away in and just got it back out the other day and ordered new tail rotor.

1. What am I doing wrong?
2. How does this thing need to be set up?
3. Will it ever leave the ground?

If you can help please do, I am about to throw this thing out and buy a miniture one that the kids fly.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
bassplayinDude

Is this a collective pitch (CP) helicopter? How many servos are connected to the swashplate? Usually 2 servos = fixed pitch and 3 servos = collective pitch.

Since the helicopter is labeled 'aerobatic' I'm going to assume it's a CP heli. What you'll want to do before you try to fly again is make sure the heli is mechanically setup correctly.

If you haven't setup a heli mechanically before, try and find someone with experience to help you out. If you can't find anyone, your next best bet would be to register at www.helifreak.com so you can download Finless Bob's setup videos. They are well worth the effort and they are what I used to set up my heli since I didn't know anyone.

Once you've set up the heli mechanically, you'll need to check your radio programming. You'll need to make sure the servos are moving in the proper directions and such. Depending on the radio you may need to tweak the settings in order to make your heli more beginner friendly.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM
KrazyEighths
Happy Mutant

Originally Posted by bassplayinDude View Post
If you haven't setup a heli mechanically before, try and find someone with experience to help you out. If you can't find anyone, your next best bet would be to register at www.helifreak.com so you can download Finless Bob's setup videos. They are well worth the effort and they are what I used to set up my heli since I didn't know anyone.
Great advice. I've been doing my training solo by using those videos.

Another consideration if you don't already have one is a flight simulator like Phoenix RC.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

The sim is great advice although it won't help him in the setup of his heli. I'm a fan of RealFlight G4 because you can do fly-ins with other guys over the internet (and I have it!!!).
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
KrazyEighths
Happy Mutant

Originally Posted by HeliG View Post
The sim is great advice although it won't help him in the setup of his heli. I'm a fan of RealFlight G4 because you can do fly-ins with other guys over the internet (and I have it!!!).
The videos on Helifreak will though.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Originally Posted by KrazyEighths View Post
The videos on Helifreak will though.
Absolutely! They are the greatest thing since sliced bread (at least for helis anyway).
Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 PM
KrazyEighths
Happy Mutant

I'm kind of wishing all hobbies had a Finless Bob to make videos. I've been getting ready to embark on a hotliner and I wish Finless Bob was an expert.