DX 7 and AR6000 Flaperons? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX 7 and AR6000 Flaperons?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:06 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Default DX 7 and AR6000 Flaperons?

I have a Spektrum DX 7 TX and a T-28 with an AR6000 Rx in it. Can I set up flaperons with an AR6000 RX?

The manual states that right aileron gets plugged into the main aileron slot and the left aileron goes into Aux 1 servo port. The AR6000 has only one Aux slot and the one main slot, things don't seem to work. I've turned "flaperons" to on in the radio, but so far no go.

Any help out there?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JANichols View Post
I have a Spektrum DX 7 TX and a T-28 with an AR6000 Rx in it. Can I set up flaperons with an AR6000 RX?

The manual states that right aileron gets plugged into the main aileron slot and the left aileron goes into Aux 1 servo port. The AR6000 has only one Aux slot and the one main slot, things don't seem to work. I've turned "flaperons" to on in the radio, but so far no go.

Any help out there?

Which switch do you have it assigned to?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Ah, switch assignment. I missed that. How do I do that? I only set the flaperons to "on" in the radio menu, and then tried to make the ailerons themselves work without even trying the flaps yet. So that's why I asked if the Ar6000 will work.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Ah, switch assignment. I missed that. How do I do that? I only set the flaperons to "on" in the radio menu, and then tried to make the ailerons themselves work without even trying the flaps yet. So that's why I asked if the Ar6000 will work.
Hrmm, interesting. The ailerons should work still, though sometimes the flaperon setting makes them go nutty. first switch to try is the three-position Flap Mix switch, face left, I do believe it is default so you can set multiple flap throws.

I have 4 AR6100s and a 6200, but not the 6000. Never had a problem with no response after setting up Flaperons, though. Dunno, I am stumped. Maybe try a rebind?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:30 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Hrmm, interesting. The ailerons should work still, though sometimes the flaperon setting makes them go nutty. first switch to try is the three-position Flap Mix switch, face left, I do believe it is default so you can set multiple flap throws.

I have 4 AR6100s and a 6200, but not the 6000. Never had a problem with no response after setting up Flaperons, though. Dunno, I am stumped. Maybe try a rebind?
Actually, that describes what's going on, the ailerons "go nutty" and nothing I do seems to get them to function correctly. I gave up and put everything back and things work, but of course without flaperons.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:17 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Actually, that describes what's going on, the ailerons "go nutty" and nothing I do seems to get them to function correctly. I gave up and put everything back and things work, but of course without flaperons.

You know, the last time I set up flaperons on a plane I think I had to reverse one of the servos for some reason, or mess with the horns. It was weird but I stumbled through it and it worked.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	img020.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	76496  
Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 AM
michael7810

I have a DX7 with AR6000 on my float plane and use flaperons. One thing I learned is to make sure you set all the flap settings to zero % for all three positions until you get the ailerons working OK (that's what I had to do anyway). After that you can adjust the flap travel as desired; mine is NORM = 0%; MID = DN 25%; LAND = DN 50%. I was really confused at first with the DX7 but I think that was because I had a DX6 and thought the setup would be the same so I didn't read the directions. Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Michael,

Thanks for the info. It is confusing. This is my first radio of this quality and options. Yikes! I went into a local hobby shop today and they figured out how to get them initially set up. Now, like you said, I have to experiment with the settings. I plan on trying it out tomorrow and starting out really high and see how they affect the plane. I also assume I'll have to mix in some elevator although that seems to be a bit of a debate. Some guys think my T-28 will not be affected all that much and others seem to think it will. The test will tell.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Might want to disconect the control rods while you work with the settings. When I reverse the servos they have a tendancy to really throw. Don't want to blow an aileron off!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Good suggestion. I'm ready for a test flight. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 PM
DragonWeezel

Default Good luck on the DX7 route!

I am looking hard for a used DX7 (hard 2 find) but will buy from LHS if I can't find one soon.

Last night, I finalized a stryker build with some "test installed", stearable landing gear, and a blue LED lasercannon in the cockpit to make the nose glow.

Taxi and take off rocked! no more throw and pull! No more tingly fingertips from blade strikes (I have thick skin)! Flew out, landed, flew out landed, adjusted nose gear. Some guy comes to the parking lot, talks to me for a bit about it. Wants to see it fly. I flew out, did loops / rolls to make sure performance was O.K. Landed it, and made a quick "up elevator" adjustment, then flew out again. "WOW this is great!" I thought to myself. Knowing the wife was waiting at home, I brought her down to about 100' at 200yds out for the approach.

WTF? Throttle cuts for 1/2 a second, then the plane banks right, then left, I counter each movement and get a sick feeling in my stomach, then it nose dives and spins into the ground. Strikers don't nosedive unless you tell them too. Not that fast. It's really hard to do w/o input if they're set up right.

So either I hit some funky interferance (I had fresh bats on my tx) or someone shot me down. Now I am looking hard for a dx6i if the price is right or a dx7. I have never been so mad in my life! The plane was flying like a dream, no issues at all. Was flying straight and level on the small side of an L shaped leg before what would have been my long glide to the landing zone.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Default T-28 Flaperon Update

Well I finally have the flaperons dialed in on my T-28. The key was adding some up elevator to compensate for the drag from the flaperons when activated. One of my flying buddies helped me with the initial set up.

Now the plane almost comes in at a hover if I want it to. Pretty amazing. Cuts the roll out on the landing by more than half the distance. Great for landing on concrete which is now an option since we found a new flight area on the edge of a retired air force base. Sweet!!