Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included

Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
LOL! no pressure man, no pressure.... hahah
Does that mean I gotta get it done now....

Need to make some room for it - cluttered a little here.
And keep getting in trouble for have boxes and bits everywhere.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by drewpyfz6 View Post
Does that mean I gotta get it done now....

Need to make some room for it - cluttered a little here.
And keep getting in trouble for have boxes and bits everywhere.
yeah I got 'the ultimatum' last week lol
Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Default Program mixes

Drew:

Here are the two program mixes I have set up for my Sea Fury. I use a JR 7202, which if I'm not mistaken is the 72MHz equivalent to the Spektrum DX7. From what I've seen, the program menus are the same.

The first one is for running each gear servo on a seperate channel. The gear channel (5) is the master and the flap channel (6) is the slave. The odd percentages are the result of fine tuning the travel of the servo running on the flaps channel. Your values will probably be different.

The second is to mix 10% up elevator to the gear being extended. For this one the gear switch is again the master, and the elevator is the slave.

I also tried mixing elevator to throttle so when you pull the throttle back the elevator rises slightly. I never did get both mixes to work together properly so gave up on that idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	81197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2140.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	81198  
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hi Doug,
Thats brilliant, many thanks.

The menus do look the same as the DX7.
Thats me busy at the weekend now. Going to have to get started on this.

Thanks again,
Drew
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Drew:

Here are the two program mixes I have set up for my Sea Fury. I use a JR 7202, which if I'm not mistaken is the 72MHz equivalent to the Spektrum DX7. From what I've seen, the program menus are the same.

The first one is for running each gear servo on a seperate channel. The gear channel (5) is the master and the flap channel (6) is the slave. The odd percentages are the result of fine tuning the travel of the servo running on the flaps channel. Your values will probably be different.

The second is to mix 10% up elevator to the gear being extended. For this one the gear switch is again the master, and the elevator is the slave.

I also tried mixing elevator to throttle so when you pull the throttle back the elevator rises slightly. I never did get both mixes to work together properly so gave up on that idea.
I'll have to look int the gear mix on my DX6 again. I tried mixing and the slave would only operate 45 degress or so of motion. I now have one gear leg on 5 and the other on 6. Hey, at least it looks scale, since you can lower and raise them in sucession.
I have a reverser, but don't care to add any more weight by using it.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hi Doug,
Thats brilliant, many thanks.

The menus do look the same as the DX7.
Thats me busy at the weekend now. Going to have to get started on this.

Thanks again,
Drew
This may be obvious advice, but it can't hurt to say so: You have full control of your aircraft in setup mode, so when you are programming your radio, do it with the plane powered up so you can see the effect of your programming. You could have a servo reversed in which case the negative percentages you see on mine would cause yours to do the opposite. Good luck and enjoy your build!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Thanks Doug,
Really good advice.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Drew
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
[email protected]

Default U/c doors

Couldn't resist this one.....I was all set to move on the to the Ron Daniels Tempest after my FW190 !!!!...but I got this aeroplane for Christmas.....well you can guess the rest!!....have gone *full house* with retracts and rudder and 5 bladed prop, rate reducer on retracts and a reversing *y* cable too...works very well I must say, i was *spot on* first time with no buzzing, unbelievable for me.
Anyway, it looks much the same as all the others, different Pilot and some stenciling, but I am adding some U/C main doors....here they are...Litho plate backed with 3 mm depron and an old watch gear run around the outside edge for the riveted effect...dunno if that true scale but hey ....they will be hot glued to the legs. This has worked for me in the past, and you can repair/remove the doors if you need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
[email protected]

Default doors on....5 blade prop to fit...

Then we are done......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	seafury 001.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	90001   Click image for larger version

Name:	seafury 002.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	90002  
Old 01-11-2009, 02:20 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Then we are done......
Thats looking really good -
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
[email protected]

Thats looking really good -
Cheers mate, but all the hard work is done for you.... !!!!!
BTW I'm English too :-) I love all the great British Aeroplanes..

Good luck with yours!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
[email protected]

Default Sea Fury prop options.....

Well seems there are some more options.....

'Six prototypes were ordered; two were to be powered by Rolls Royce Griffon engines, two with Centaurus XXIIs, one with a Centaurus XII and one as a test structure. The first Fury to fly, on 1 September 1944, was NX798 with a Centaurus XII with rigid engine mounts, powering a Rotol four-blade propeller. Second on 27 November 1944 was LA610, which had a Griffon 85 and Rotol six-blade contra-rotating propeller.'

So guys,, whatever lights your fires and burns your tires !!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Well, I finally ordered one. I figured Capt. Easy is putting retracts in his PZ Corsair, I need to get a bird with retracts too. Keeping up with the Joneses, yeah, but look back at this thread and you can see Ive been waiting to get one!

Now if I could just stop punching in my Corsair during low-altitude ops, I wouldn't be so nervous about flying this one!

All the 3D practice has me a tad overconfident on the more scale stuff lol

Last edited by groundrushesup; 02-04-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Mine has been sitting here for a couple weeks and the build is underway, sloooowly however it is happening. I have read this entire thread and think I'll be ok, gleaned much knowledge, thanks to all for your input as always. Here's my setup, just got the last few bits today from the LHS:

e-flite park 480 1020kv motor
Castle Phoenix 25 ESC (my first Castle brushless ESC, and I have the programming kit, should be interesting)
2x Hitec HS-65MG's for the retracts
4x Hitec HS-65HB's everywhere else (yes, I want a rudder lol)
Spektrum ar6100e and flying w/my dx6i.

Not sure which lipo pack I'll maiden with, I'll figure that out later. Not sure if I want a UBEC, need to think about that, or just learn to trust the CC Phoenix, I'll think about it more, we'll see. Should be a fun experience lol hope it goes well this ship has gotten a bit pricey for me however I wanted to build it right, comments always welcome. Take care Hawker fans!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by *rider View Post
Mine has been sitting here for a couple weeks and the build is underway, sloooowly however it is happening. I have read this entire thread and think I'll be ok, gleaned much knowledge, thanks to all for your input as always. Here's my setup, just got the last few bits today from the LHS:

e-flite park 480 1020kv motor
Castle Phoenix 25 ESC (my first Castle brushless ESC, and I have the programming kit, should be interesting)
2x Hitec HS-65MG's for the retracts
4x Hitec HS-65HB's everywhere else (yes, I want a rudder lol)
Spektrum ar6100e and flying w/my dx6i.

Not sure which lipo pack I'll maiden with, I'll figure that out later. Not sure if I want a UBEC, need to think about that, or just learn to trust the CC Phoenix, I'll think about it more, we'll see. Should be a fun experience lol hope it goes well this ship has gotten a bit pricey for me however I wanted to build it right, comments always welcome. Take care Hawker fans!
Sounds like a good setup, if not a little expensive. I tend to go the non-brand name route and so-far-so-good with reliability.

The newer Phoenix 25's have a 3 amp BEC, but the older ones had just 1.5 amps, so double check to make sure it says 3 amps on it. If you weren't running a Spektrum Rx, I would say you are safe with that. Spextrum Rx's are sensitive to voltage sags, so you might want to put an UBEC in there to be safe. A Park 480 will push a 25 amp ESC to its limit, and if the BEC is also pushed to its limit that COULD result in a thermal overload of the ESC. Good cooling will help, but the best insurance is a UBEC.

Good luck with your build!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Sounds like a good setup, if not a little expensive. I tend to go the non-brand name route and so-far-so-good with reliability.

The newer Phoenix 25's have a 3 amp BEC, but the older ones had just 1.5 amps, so double check to make sure it says 3 amps on it. If you weren't running a Spektrum Rx, I would say you are safe with that. Spextrum Rx's are sensitive to voltage sags, so you might want to put an UBEC in there to be safe. A Park 480 will push a 25 amp ESC to its limit, and if the BEC is also pushed to its limit that COULD result in a thermal overload of the ESC. Good cooling will help, but the best insurance is a UBEC.

Good luck with your build!
Which motor did you go with, Doug? I've seen a few people with the 35-36C but that seems a tad powerful for this airframe.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Which motor did you go with, Doug? I've seen a few people with the 35-36C but that seems a tad powerful for this airframe.
I'm between motors right now. I first tried using a Himax 2025-4200kv inrunner with a Hyperion gearbox. It was a little underpowered with the big VarioProp 5-bladed prop on the front. Then I switched to the FSK/Manzano 5 blader (which is smaller diameter and much lighter) and thought performance was pretty good, but after 5 or 6 flights I blew out the spur gear. So now I'm debating between using a larger 28mm 3500kv inrunner and Cobri gearbox (should give about 325 watts), or just sticking an oversized outrunner on there. I have the inrunner, which is a $15 generic motor I picked up on clearance last year, but I don't have a gearbox that it will fit into. I also have a BP Hobbies outrunner that I bought for the Sea Fury, but I may put it in the Pilot-1 Waco instead. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I also have a BP Hobbies outrunner that I bought for the Sea Fury, but I may put it in the Pilot-1 Waco instead. Decisions, decisions.
Yeah the stats on that motor are basically commensurate with the 35-36C. Perhaps thats the motor it requires. Odd though because i is such a small plane. Perhaps I'm just fixated on the PZ scale .

I also bought the Manzano hub because I happened to have about 10 of the FSK blades laying around from another project... But I'm concerned that such a large and dense disc will create a stall tendency at dead stick or other issues that I am not ready for. I'll probably fly it a few times on the stock prop before I go with the 5-banger.

I've read this thread in its entirety and had forgot that you were using a reduction setup - But I do remember you foregoing the FSK for the vario because the blades are flimsy - but now, any notes you could give on its behavior with the FSK 5-blade would help.

TIA,

Josh
Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Yeah the stats on that motor are basically commensurate with the 35-36C. Perhaps thats the motor it requires. Odd though because i is such a small plane. Perhaps I'm just fixated on the PZ scale .

I also bought the Manzano hub because I happened to have about 10 of the FSK blades laying around from another project... But I'm concerned that such a large and dense disc will create a stall tendency at dead stick or other issues that I am not ready for. I'll probably fly it a few times on the stock prop before I go with the 5-banger.

I've read this thread in its entirety and had forgot that you were using a reduction setup - But I do remember you foregoing the FSK for the vario because the blades are flimsy - but now, any notes you could give on its behavior with the FSK 5-blade would help.

TIA,

Josh
I really like the FSK setup a lot. More than I thought I would. It's fast and it sounds great! It also slows the plane down nicely when going to land.

The main reason I went with the big motor is because I really want to give the VarioProp another chance. It needs at least 300 watts to do it justice. I think the BP outrunner will do the trick, but I'm still tempted to try a bigger inrunner too. Either of those setups with a 2-blader will be REALLY fast!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

I finally built my Sea Fury and maidened it this past Friday at the local club field. First time ever landing a small foam warbird on gear ... I belly flop every warbird I have aside from my Hyperion P-51D 25e bird.

Oh. My. Gosh. Best flying bird in my fleet, hands down. I flew the Sea Fury three times, flew my E-Flite P-47D once, and then decided I'd rather use my last battery on the Sea Fury again. At less than half throttle, it was smoking Dad's PZ Spitfire with a TowerPro 2410-09Y and 11x7 GWS prop (which, of course, is only a 120W-ish motor, so that's pretty understandable).

In my P-47's defense, I had just changed out its motor to a TowerPro 2409-18T with a FSK 9x7 4-bladed prop. Not that impressed ... lot more watts pulled (just overamp'd on the motor ... had to go easy till the voltage dropped off a little), and I felt like the performance wasn't as good as the stock brushed gearbox setup.

I highly, highly recommend my Sea Fury's setup if anyone is interested and enjoys good speed with plenty of power in reserve. I've never had that much fun flying a park-sized warbird.

• Suppo 2814-08 - $26.95 (1100kv, 350W, 35A/60sec max draw ... the BP Hobbies A2814-8 motor Doug has is this same Suppo motor. Lots of folks rebrand Suppo's and sell them under their house names. Like Josh said, this one's pretty much exact same specs as Turnigy 35-36C, though Turnigy lists their max watts as 400W even though they list the max amp draw and voltages as the same, which doesn't add up quite right on their end).
  • Suppo 40A ESC - $19.95 ($17.95 if purchased with motor)
  • 3A, 5V BEC - $8.95
I used the stock prop, but got too psyched up to remember to measure the amp draw. I'll have to check it out next flight. I had planned to go to the 5-bladed prop using the 9x7 blades and the Keith Sparks hub from Manzano Laser Works, but after Friday's outing, I've had a change of heart. As much as I love scale looks, the performance was just too awesome. Now I just need to find what 2-bladed prop is the best match for this motor. The vertical was nuts ... it eventually stalled out somewhere up there almost out of where I could really make out which way it was going, but not being used to that kind of vertical performance, it usually rolled over early because I couldn't keep it pointed straight up. Staying three mistakes high wasn't a problem, because it would get there in about four seconds after leaving the ground.

I actually was planning to use a Turnigy 35-36C on this, but when I went to mount it, I discovered it wasn't a bolt-on replacement. The Suppo, however, has the exact same spacing as the slightly less powerful E-Flite Park 480 motor. The only modification that had to be made was going down to HobbyTown and getting some 3x12mm bolts instead of the 3x10mm ones included with the Sea Fury's stick mount. The Suppo motor has a slightly bigger protrusion out the back of it, so it has to sit off the motor mount a couple of millimeters further than the E-Flite motors. I used an extra washer and the 3x12mm bolts to add a little more space between the motor and the mount, and it fit like a charm with no other modifications needed.

Plus, the Suppo electronics are available right here in the good ol' U.S.A from Dave and Sara @ LightFlightRC.com, and you get fast and cheap priority mail shipping. So mounting the motor was easier than the Turnigy, getting the motor was cheaper than the Turnigy thanks to lower shipping costs, and it all got here faster than the Turnigy thanks to the fast shipping. I couldn't be more pleased.

My only problem now is, I have three TowerPro 2410-09Y's sitting here that I no longer plan to use after seeing the Suppo's performance, not to mention three more that are mounted in plane's right now and the 2409-18T that's gonna get yanked out of my P-47 in favor of a Suppo, too. I do believe I'll be using these motors on all of my stick-mount warbirds from now on, and I'll probably use the Turnigy 35-36C's on the motors that need a firewall mount along with the HXT motor mounts from HobbyCity.

Okay, enough rambling. Long story short - one of my most enjoyable days of flying ever in the last three years. I'll try to remember to take the radar gun out to the field next time we fly and get a reading, too.

Last edited by PerlAddict; 02-17-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

And Josh, there's a pretty detailed review of the Sea Fury on RCG with notes (and some sweet pics!) about flying the plane with the FSK prop. The pilot seemed pretty pleased with its performance.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
And Josh, there's a pretty detailed review of the Sea Fury on RCG with notes (and some sweet pics!) about flying the plane with the FSK prop. The pilot seemed pretty pleased with its performance.

Dave,

Thanks a lot for the info, I think you sold me. I wish I'd have asked last week when I placed an order for three more AR6100E's from Dave & Sara.

Regardless I just put in an order for the motor and ESC, and If there's anything I have too much of its different sized screws and nuts. I'm thinking I can use some of the aluminum standoff spacers I often get with other motors to create the necessary clearance.

Do you run retracts? I am assuming so because of BEC - And did you do the rudder as well? I think the USPS already made the rudder decision for me as when it got here it was alrady broken off on the score line.

Thanks again for the comprehensive post. Look forward to more info as you log more hours on this bird.

Josh
Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Glad to pass along some helpful info, Josh. If only LightFlightRC's free shipping was still for orders over $75 instead of $150 ... this recession is making me spend more money when I need to order stuff! You definitely won't be disappointed with the combo.

Yes, I'm running retracts on mine. I'm using TowerPro SG90 9g servos on everything. I'm still a little skeptical of how they'll hold up on the retracts, but I've got them dialed in pretty well and only get the occassional buzzing.

Yes, I did the rudder. First warbird I've had a rudder on, but I figured if I was going to be landing on wheels instead of belly flopping, it would be handy at the least (and more often than not, a necessitiy with the way I come in for landings). I dialed in low rates (50% travel, 75% expo) for take-offs and landings, and it's worked really well so far. I learned the hard way that I'm not very good at steering with my left hand when I was landing my 25-sized P-51 and turned in one direction and couldn't get it turned back in the other direction before the curb crept up.

I turned too hard on my first landing still and one wing grazed the pavement, rubbing off a little foam and paint on the bottom of my right wingtip. I need to try and find a good match for the color now, and then give the whole plane a nice Miniwax Polycrylic Satin coating. It nosed over and flipped upside down when I ran off the runway and hit the grass on my first landing, but zero damage and the retracts have the first problem ... a welcome change after having to rebend the retracts on my Hyperion P-51 after practically every landing. All subsequent landings went without a hitch, thanks to a bit smoother hand on the steering (maiden flight jitters always get me the first time around, it seems). All in all, well worth doing in my opinion. Plus, I really like waggling the tail in the sky.

- Dave
Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Matt & [email protected]: Got a link to the pilot figures you're using?

Matt, your building skills never cease to amaze me. I saw the thumbnail of your Ultrafly P-51 earlier in the thread and thought, "Why is Matt posting full scale aircraft pictures of a P-51 in here?" And then I enlarged the thumbnail to full size and thought, "That guy's face looks kind of weird ..."

And then after a second I realized I was looking at a foam model and not a full scale aircraft. I wish I could just pay you to build all my planes ... I love them, man. You're one of my favorite ARF builders to follow.

- Dave
Old 02-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Matt & [email protected]: Got a link to the pilot figures you're using?
Believe it or not, Matt carves his own pilots by hand. But then again you've seen his P-51, so maybe it's not so surprising after all. He was kind enough to send me one of his pilots in exchange for some motors last year. He is sitting in the cockpit of my ArtTech Corsair.

Quick Reply: Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10508 seconds with 15 queries