Spectrum dx 7 question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Spectrum dx 7 question

Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 PM
dizzymarkus

Default Spectrum dx 7 question

I am considering purchasing the dx7 and was wondering if someone can tell me some info. Where do I start lol I am 1 month new to helis and liking it alot so I thought I would buy the dx7, however I have no idea where to start as far as the axe goes. I will be eventually be going into seperates but for now I am wanting to use just the trans and reciev(dx7) --- can I do that? What will I have to replace or mod to have the dx7 work with the existing heli (all stock) I want to get the parts while im there so little to no downtime :0) Any help and links to info would be GREATLY appreciated. The LHS ets 2 in at a time and they seem to fly off the shelf. Their holding one for me for tommorow :0)

thanks alot,
Markus
Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

I'm not sure about the Axe.....in order for it to work, the Axe would need to
have a seperate receiver and then a 3 in 1. If it has a 4 in 1, then it won't work without a lot of extra stuff.

Maybe one of the Axe "experts' can weigh in here........
Old 10-24-2007, 06:36 PM
redvtr1000

I don't think it is impossible to do but I think it will cost more cash than that bird is worth.

I had an axe and thought of doing the brushless upgrades but after figuring out the total costs involved I changed my mind. The axe has a seperate receiver in its stock form and uses a 3-n-1 as opposed to a 4n1.

You could add a dx7, but IMO use the axe as a learning tool. Control the tail, get to the point you can hover it tail in/side in even nose in if possible and shelf it or ebay it.

The tail control is so sloppy its not even right. Rather than spend 200+ to upgrade that thing, save your cash and buy a t-rex or a mini-titan (skip all the bling to start) and you will probably be a thousand times happier.

I know I was, bought the mini-titan after having the axe and deciding flying helis was something I wanted to do.

If you are determined, go to youtube and search the keyword "axe cp separations" there is a video where some guy walks you through the basics of the conversion. Also, on rcuniverse.com, member that goes by the name Heliko has done the conversion and posted a nice review/setup tips about it there.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 AM
dizzymarkus

UPDATE:

I have the dx7 now binded to 2 blade cx2's and 2 axe cp's and 2 ele planes :0) Works flawlessly.

It is entirely possible to use the dx7 with the stock equipment-- I am and twice at that :0)

I currently (hopefully today) Have an all brushless setup coming. main and tail brushless, 2 esc's a 401 gyro. The upgrade -- minus the radio-- is gonna cost me 145.00 USD -- Im not thinking thats too bad for a total overhaul. Thanks for the input, its all considered :0)

Markus
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM
redvtr1000

145.00 huh... thats reasonable. I would like to know what motors, escs, etc you used to get to that price.

An ar6100 and a gy 401 will cost probably 130 total if you bought it on ebay. That leaves you with 15 bucks for motors and escs. Or maybe you didn't include the cost of those items into the equation?

Even after you get done with all of that, is the axe really that capable of a performer???

As far as I've read, it needs an upgraded head to even perform halfway on par for 3d flying.

Invert it....right out of the box. /snicker
Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 AM
dizzymarkus

Howdy,
I stated in my previous post
The upgrade -- minus the radio-- is gonna cost me 145.00 USD
it came with a 7000 rec :0)

The gyro I really never considered an axe only part so I didnt include it @ $130.00 as it will move on with me. There are definatally cheaper ones out there. I also have several 6000 rec from cx2's laying around(cheap on ebay)So rec never came into play.

Heres the skinny:

Main:--$41.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGM0&P=7
ESC:25A--$26.99
Cant find it on tower but thats the price at LHS

Tail:--$37.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLWW9&P=ML
ESC:--$18.79
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLUS6&P=ML

TOTAL -- $ 125.76 less tax / shipping so I quoted it as $145.00.

If you add the qyro you get $255.76

Say you got what I have here and a $60 micro gyro more suited to smaller helis cost: $ 185.76 --- ptreey reasonible no?

As to the inverted outta the box lol I am far from that. I believe this is a good move as it will extend my flight times, become more stable, run more efficient, stop blowing tail motors, handle my camera, along with some other stuff I probably forgotten :0)

Thanks for the disscussion,
Markus
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
tadpole

I have been trying to bind my Blade CX2 to my DX7. I get all control except the throttle. Can anyone share some light on this?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
I have been trying to bind my Blade CX2 to my DX7. I get all control except the throttle. Can anyone share some light on this?
It sounds like you need to run the throttle trim down until the CX arms. I had to do this on mine.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 AM
tadpole

Ya got it finally. What I had to do though is bring up the throttle for some reason. brought it up to 112 and it finally armed. Go figure.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

I concur with mike. The throttle trim has to be all the way down
and I never use throttle trim on the DX7 with my CX2's

I don't use it for my Blade CP Pro, either. In the event of a crash
you have to get the throttle (and trim) all the way down QUICK if you
are going to save your 3 in 1
Old 11-19-2007, 02:57 AM
dizzymarkus

Mine had a loose connection on the reciever when this happened to me.

Markus